Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 09:19 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,627,552 times

Advertisements

We put any apple skins in the pot with water, a little cinnamon and some cloves for fragrance. We'll sometimes add orange rinds or throw them in the fire.

I'll also sometimes stick a few whole cloves in pieces of orange rind and add them to an edible display of oranges, lemons, greenery and cones from the yard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2013, 04:41 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
I never heard of that kind of thing in my life.
I never did either until my sister came up with this ingenious idea after new construction nearby caused field mice to temporarily relocate onto her properly. Although our region isn't riddled with rodents and cockroaches like other areas of the country, it's the most sanitary way to maintain household garbage.

My son currently lives where there is no garbage pickup. Residents take garbage to the dump themselves. It costs $2 per bag, regardless of size. If a couple of guys sharing an apartment don't fill up a bag every few weeks (recycling is huge and mandatory there), that's a lot of stink. Nobody wants to haul old stinky garbage in their vehicles, and nobody is going to pay $2 per day to throw away food scraps that are minimal enough to fit into a ziplock sandwhich bag. Add to it that they live in an extremely rural area where field mice can become an issue in old farmhouses, it becomes necessary to freeze food garbage even in areas of the country with frigidly cold winter temperatures.

Old 12-08-2013, 04:56 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grsz11 View Post
If your garbage is attracting rodents in a day or two's time, there's a problem other than throwing food away.
That's not true. If it's there for two days, it's there all the time. As soon as you throw out your food garbage, new food garbage is replacing it. That's a constant food source and the very thing that attracts rodents.

It's true that some type of other event brings rodents to a home, such as overcrowding in sewers, new construction nearby, neighbors suddenly evicting their rodents and the rodents needing to find a new food source, a colony growing so big it needs to spread out to look for a new food source. If a house isn't inviting with a food source, rodents won't come to your house.

You can go 30 years without having rodents visit, but that doesn't mean they might not come someday. That's why it's important to properly manage food waste.

Old 12-08-2013, 06:08 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,166,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
If you twist tie a plastic bag, can some smell get out of it anyway? Or would it make sense to leave it twist tied till you have time to take it to the dumpster?
Trust me, flies can get into the tiniest little space! I live in a house so no Dumpster, just a trash can. Even if the flies can't get in, it will start smelling in summer. Also raccoons and other animals are very adept at tipping over and getting into sealed trash cans.

So between my three dogs in the house, and wild/stray critters outside, potentially stinky or dangerous (eg cooked bones) goes in a bag in my freezer until trash day.

Old 12-08-2013, 06:13 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,166,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
That's not true. If it's there for two days, it's there all the time. As soon as you throw out your food garbage, new food garbage is replacing it. That's a constant food source and the very thing that attracts rodents.

It's true that some type of other event brings rodents to a home, such as overcrowding in sewers, new construction nearby, neighbors suddenly evicting their rodents and the rodents needing to find a new food source, a colony growing so big it needs to spread out to look for a new food source. If a house isn't inviting with a food source, rodents won't come to your house.

You can go 30 years without having rodents visit, but that doesn't mean they might not come someday. That's why it's important to properly manage food waste.
Oh I hadn't even thought about the rodent issue! Yet another excellent reason to freeze trash, or somehow secure and seal it. I have a small colony of (spayed and neutered) feral cats living adjacent to my house and they pretty well solve the mouse problem.

People in more rural areas than me have wood and wire enclosures for their trash cans, so they can leave them out overnight for morning pick-up without worrying about animals getting into the trash.

Old 12-08-2013, 12:22 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,755,351 times
We have a bear-proof garbage can (outside not inside )

Old 12-09-2013, 06:24 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,600,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
We have a bear-proof garbage can (outside not inside)
Because the bear in the house is better trained.

Old 12-17-2013, 05:10 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,813,012 times
I put everything down the disposal potatoe peels pineapple rinds chicken bones turkey bones everything pumkin rinds but then again I might have a stronger unit than you do and I had my pipes sized bigger when I built my house to prevent backups to make sure the pipes can handle the waste as well as I had em use pvc piping as well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House