Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2013, 06:13 PM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
I never heard of that kind of thing in my life.
You must be very young and not exposed to the worldly ways yet as that is very common around the country putting garbage in the freezer until garbage day. Our family and firends in the midwest do as well as those in the southwest. Been that way for over 50 years.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 06:38 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,561,868 times
Anyone use garbage disposals?
I live in a condo and we have an open can that pulls out from the cabinet. The trash is emptied when full, we do not have insect problems, or freeze our trash. I've never heard of putting trash in the freezer either.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:41 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,159,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
You must be very young and not exposed to the worldly ways yet as that is very common around the country putting garbage in the freezer until garbage day. Our family and firends in the midwest do as well as those in the southwest. Been that way for over 50 years.
Exactly what I do in the summer; I'm in a house with weekly garbage pick-up.. Meat packaging and anything else that will draw flies and maggots (ewwwww) not to mention raccoons and possums, goes in a trash bag in the freezer until trash pick-up day.

Even if such trash were put into a sealed trash can, it's still going to really stink after a few days and I think that's nasty, plus not very nice to the garbage guys.

I'm not sure why anyone would consider this weird?

Old 12-03-2013, 06:41 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post

Uh, I'm 42 lived on both coasts, the upper midwest, and the south and never, ever heard of this.

Old 12-03-2013, 07:28 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
I've never heard of putting trash in the freezer either.
I lived in a two-family flat with weekly trash pickup, no outdoor trash cans, and nowhere to store bags of trash until trash day. Whatever I threw out had to stay in the apartment until trash day.

I suppose I could have purchased a big outdoor trash can (or badgered my landlord into buying one) ... but instead, food refuse such as chicken skin and bones went into the freezer until trash day, especially in the summer.

Other apartments I lived in had dumpsters; that was easier, because every morning I carried the trash out when I left for work.

Old 12-03-2013, 07:33 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,233,609 times
A decent garbage disposal will take almost any food product. If in doubt, ask a plumber. I was told years ago by a plumber to put everything but coffee grinds and egg shells into it. At the time we didn't put bones in it. He said that was a common mistake, that a disposal needs bones to stay sharp.

My wife isn't too sure about that, but I've been doing it for 30+ years. I replaced our current disposal 20 years ago, and it's still working like new.

We rinse any packaging that might smell, especially in the summer -- things like meat packages, milk jugs, empty cans, ice cream cartons, etc. It goes out to the garbage can (dumpster), but I don't want that collecting flies either.

Old 12-03-2013, 07:56 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,356,199 times
I'm not in a condo but a coop and almost every coop here has a garbage chute, which is good for me because we have an under-the-sink mounted pail which holds a small garbage bag/plastic bag you get from the grocery store. You could always buy one of those small trash cans and toss out these smaller bags every 1-2 days.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:51 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,010,730 times
Very few things actually stink..

Have a compost type container for veggies/coffee/fruit ect..That stuff won't stink, it just needs to be sealed so fruit flies & ants are not attracted..

Freeze things with meat & fat in them..dairy/meat ect..just be sure you have a set color bag for trash in freezer..That would be bad to serve a frozen soup and realize later it was trash ...

Then a dry trash can that does not have food in it..

Old 12-03-2013, 10:37 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
If you go to work every day, use a small trash bag and take it to the dumpster on your way out to work. Keep some wipes in the car for your hands if the dumpster gets your hands dirty.

When I lived in an apartment and had a kid in diapers, I put each diaper in a ziplock bag, and put those in a bag hanging on the doorknob. Whenever anyone went out the door, they took the bag to the dumpster. If we were having company, we would make an extra trip to the dumpster before they arrived.

I have frozen trash before also, mostly trimmings from pork. I feed my dogs the beef and chicken scraps, but not pork.

Old 12-03-2013, 11:45 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,621,027 times
There is a lovely Southern small condo complex I know of that has a great idea. There is a door about 3' high in the kitchen. The kitchen wall runs along the condo hall. Open the short door and there is a space about 3' wide and about 3' deep. And then another 3' door. A man comes along every other day and checks for any trash you have left in that little passageway. Anyone worried about security can arrange locks on both doors as well. But nothing has ever happened there except trash being out of the way and inconspicuously picked up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House