Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2013, 11:52 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,322,571 times

Advertisements

Why don't they have a valet trash service?

You should petition for it.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2013, 04:41 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,952,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Uh, I'm 42 lived on both coasts, the upper midwest, and the south and never, ever heard of this.
I'm pretty sure that's because most people don't wear a sign that says "I put my garbage in the freezer"

And it's probably dependent on what kind of residence you have. I live in a single family home and my big garbage can is outside. I empty my house trash can into it every couple of days. But in the case of the OP, there seems to be no access to outside storage for an individual unit, thus the question.

I think what posters are talking about is the fat that was trimmed off the roast, or the apple/banana peel/orange rind you just took off your fresh piece of fruit. When it's put in a plastic bag and frozen, it will have no smell or decomposition when you remove it from the freezer - even if you have it in there a year.

In any event, the OP seems to make a big deal out of a small matter to which there are many solutions; one of which is storing garbage in the freezer. In a plastic bag. Tucked into a plastic container. With a lid.

Old 12-04-2013, 06:12 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,700,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Uh, I'm 42 lived on both coasts, the upper midwest, and the south and never, ever heard of this.
I'm 57 and I never heard of it either.
Having lived in apartments for most of my life, I find the OP's question really odd.
We always had covered garbage cans in the kitchen. We put garbage in them and when they filled up, we took the bag out to the dumpster, garbage room, whatever.
I've lived in a house the last 5+ years, including in the desert southwest, and the process is the same though now we have our own big garbage can for weekly pick-up.
And, no, no issue with ants or other bugs.

Old 12-04-2013, 06:57 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
I'm pretty sure that's because most people don't wear a sign that says "I put my garbage in the freezer"
We should print T-shirts!

Old 12-04-2013, 07:28 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,594,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
We should print T-shirts!
Maybe there's already a Livestrong-style wrist band for neuroses about bad smells.

Old 12-04-2013, 08:08 AM

5,046 posts, read 9,621,027 times
MERRYMac, are you speaking from experience about the bugs? Not at all unusual in housing close together. If you are having this experience, there should be a regular exterminator of some sort at work here....natural or other. I know many complexes that have one come around every 3 or four months.

Or it could be the attractive, still edible-to-animals stuff in the freezer is one of the deterents being used in your community.

I have done this when saving my city 'trash' for country friends' pigs and, yes, when I didn't want it in the house garbage for the pets to get and when it was too warm to let it sit outside till the garbage company came. On garbage day, we'd take the bag from the freezer. You can double/triple ziploc bag inside a colored grocer bag if you like and place it neatly along with the other organized items in your freezer.

That's where we had garbage routes. Another alternative is to find the nearest recycle center for a drop off.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:33 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,029,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerriMAC View Post
Are there kitchen cans that seal tightly so that ants can't slip in and out? And do the kitchen cans give off odor or seal it in? Thanks.
If you have an ant problem, don't keep trash inside. Unless you want to have ants swarming it. Nothing is going to keep them out.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:50 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,029,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
You must be very young and not exposed to the worldly ways yet as that is very common around the country putting garbage in the freezer until garbage day. Our family and firends in the midwest do as well as those in the southwest. Been that way for over 50 years.
I'm not young, but I find the idea to be gross and have never known anyone to keep garbage in their freezer. What if something leaked out before it froze, and contaminated food? Doing something like that in a commercial establishment, would get a restaurant shut down by the health department.

Last edited by KaaBoom; 12-04-2013 at 09:59 AM..

Old 12-04-2013, 10:12 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,630,076 times
I live in an apt with the dumpsters located way at the back of the property. But I take my trash and recycles out every day! It's good exercise anyway. If I have anything smelly after I take it out I keep it in a bag in the frig until the next trip back. I so dislike garbage/trash in my apt. A lot of times if I'm going out running errands I will take the bag (not much for one person) and dump it in a trash can when I go to the gas station or store.

Old 12-04-2013, 10:30 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,010,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post

:
haha...I know farmers in cold climates that keep dead pets in the deep freeze all winter to bury in the spring !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House