Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2008, 09:11 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,524,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KY Filly View Post
This is one of the most interesting threads I've read! Great info and I'll have to re-read some of the answers as there are so many great tips.

I was on another C-D forum and someone recommended Simple Green for getting mold/mildew out of shower grout. So I went to the SG website and read all about their products. #1 They are environmentally safe which is important info to know. But more importantly, it looks like their products actually work. I read many, many testamonials about their products. I'm about to move and have cleaned my fingers to the bone (without knowing all these tips!) so, my current place is good to go...but wish I had known about all this stuff before. I don't want to purchase more products now (since it just means more packing) but will stock my new home with Simple Green and some of the products mentioned in this thread.

I also wanted to share about a really neat broom/scrubber/squeegee/carpet rake - all-in-one. Google "Dutch Rubber Broom" and you will see a couple of sites to buy them. One of my girlfriends and I were recently at a home show and saw a demo....we both purchased this product and I've already used it...MUCH better than regular brooms and so many more uses! BTW, carpet rakes are great for touch ups between vacumning and keeps the pile of the carpet nice and fluffy. Oh, one more thing - you can put the rubber head of the Dutch rubber broom in sudsy water or the dishwasher to clean and keep fresh.
Well now I gotta go get a Dutch Rubber Broom! Thanx so much for sharing!

I love this thread, too . . . I have learned so much and have used many of the ideas on here!

I hope others will keep posting . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 12:03 PM

894 posts, read 4,351,131 times
Put a bowl of white vinegar under the air handler, helps to eliminate odors!

Old 03-13-2008, 06:28 PM

394 posts, read 1,506,872 times
Default my new favorite product!

Based upon previous posts I purchased some lemon oil and have used it on stainless steel, formica countertops so far (can't wait so see what it does for some of the other suggestions, shower glass, tile etc).....oh my gosh - this stuff is awesome, not greasy but makes everything I've used it on so far shine!! Love it! Who knew????

Old 03-13-2008, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Based upon previous posts I purchased some lemon oil and have used it on stainless steel, formica countertops so far (can't wait so see what it does for some of the other suggestions, shower glass, tile etc).....oh my gosh - this stuff is awesome, not greasy but makes everything I've used it on so far shine!! Love it! Who knew????
Isn't it a miracle!??? I am soooo glad you found this helpful! This is how I keep my stainless kitchen looking great! And use it on my faucets, as well and on my shower glass.

It is a tip told to me over 20 years ago by a dear housekeeper . . . stainless steel appliances have been around longer than most people realize.

Thank you for sharing your experience! I LOVE THIS THREAD!!!! Ani

Old 03-13-2008, 07:38 PM

15,145 posts, read 27,805,301 times
We had the same problem - happened across an article on this and it suggested lemon oil - tried it and it works! Hardest part was finding it - checked Home Depot, no luck, but, by chance - local grocery store had bottles on clearance and I snapped up about 8. I didn't have time to read all these threads, I did see someone else mentioned they used it also, and I second (or third....) that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLily7 View Post
My 2 biggest house problems are what's already been mentioned...the house, no matter how often I vaccum, wipe down, and dust, is always SO dusty! I don't have pets....but do have terrible allergies. And dusting actually seems to stir it up more. My worst aggravation is how quickly dust gathers on the tops of ceiling fans, especially the ones in high ceilings. I hired a cleaning service one time and all they did was swat the dust with a feather duster, made the air worse. They just brushed off the dust everywhere that way instead of dusting properly.

Also, no matter what I do, I can't keep a shower stall and glass door clean- it's always either streaky, or soap scummy, or something. It takes a lot of elbow grease to get it clean but it doesn't stay clean, it's such labor, I don't expect an EASY, work-free way to keep the shower clean, but how DO you manage to keep your showers pristine?? I'd be willing to wipe it down every day if I had something that really works. I've tried everything, the daily shower sprays, diluted Clorox, even vinegar and baking soda...etc. Glass showers are just terrible to keep pristine. Sigh...

Old 03-15-2008, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
We had the same problem - happened across an article on this and it suggested lemon oil - tried it and it works! Hardest part was finding it - checked Home Depot, no luck, but, by chance - local grocery store had bottles on clearance and I snapped up about 8. I didn't have time to read all these threads, I did see someone else mentioned they used it also, and I second (or third....) that.
Have been using Weiman's brand since the early 80s. Just clean your shower stall well and after it is dry, apply the lemon oil and rub well . . . it is amazing!

So far, I have been able to find Weiman's at grocery stores.

Old 03-16-2008, 01:15 AM

369 posts, read 1,639,726 times
I once tried mixing houshold cleaners for better affect...Bad idea. But at least I didn't create mustard gas (peggy hill) lol.

Old 03-16-2008, 11:42 AM

394 posts, read 1,506,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Have been using Weiman's brand since the early 80s. Just clean your shower stall well and after it is dry, apply the lemon oil and rub well . . . it is amazing!

So far, I have been able to find Weiman's at grocery stores.
Ani - in a few months we'll be moving into a new house and our master bath is in a corner with the two outside shower "walls" to be clear glass (the inside will be tile, not the shiney ones, the travertine-type)....I plan to use the Lemon Oil on the glass before I take my first shower! Question - how often do you reapply?

Old 03-16-2008, 05:46 PM

1,216 posts, read 5,778,626 times
Ani -- I checked that Dutch Rubber Broom and it looks the same as the One Step [as seen on TV]

a few years ago, i bought two of them at Bed,Bath and Beyond places. I keep on in the garage [also AWESOME as a car snow sweeper] and one in the kitchen... only problem i have with it is.. the static it create, the pooches long hair sticks to it... but other than that... its great.

Ugggg - i still have to get that Lemon Oil. *hangs head* I've just been so busy.

Old 03-16-2008, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Ani - in a few months we'll be moving into a new house and our master bath is in a corner with the two outside shower "walls" to be clear glass (the inside will be tile, not the shiney ones, the travertine-type)....I plan to use the Lemon Oil on the glass before I take my first shower! Question - how often do you reapply?
Ohhhhh. Filly, you have me stumped on this one b/c I have only used the lemon oil on the 'textured' type glass, not the beautiful European clear glass that I think your new home must have (sounds beautiful!!!!)

So I will have to defer to someone who has tried it your type of glass. I would definitely test a small area down at the bottom and see if it clouds up the glass b/f I started spreading it all over. That way, if it clouds that little test patch, you can simply wipe it off, the spray on some 409 or another cleaner, and it will dissolve. I am worried the lemon oil may look like vaseline on clear, smooth glass!!!! This would NOT be good!!!!

If it does NOT cloud the glass . . . you will need to reapply it about once every 3 weeks, depending on how much water hits your glass, how hard your water is, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House