Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2020, 06:04 AM

417 posts, read 454,749 times

Advertisements

Yes I do know for front loader washers, some of the manufacturers ( well I have Whirlpool) recommend using the washer Affresh. For the washer it is to remove build up of "gunk" from liquid soaps and such.
I admit it seems a bit excessive to care what the inside of the dishwasher looks like but it probably has something to do with how the machine is washing as well? Who knows Worth a try for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2020, 10:30 AM

262 posts, read 164,236 times
I call "smart" washing machines for what they are: mildew machines. They use less water, mostly just mist your clothes, etc, and create mold that way. Buy a SpeedQueen like used at laundry mats, with manual turning knobs, and use dye free detergent like Tide free & clear. Don't use liquid softeners. Use free / clear Bounce sheets in dryer. All those Afresh & scented products are scams because a bad washing machine means dirty clothes. Most all new machines these days that claim they are efficient and smart, are actually harboring dirt. If you want your clothes clean - use plenty of water and soap, not misting machines with fragrance products. After we bought our SpeedQueen, we never looked back at all those machines we had before, like fancy expensive Bosch front loaders, etc.

Old 10-16-2020, 04:21 PM

22 posts, read 10,792 times
i use baking soda from cleaning to laundry

Old 10-18-2020, 06:33 AM

4,723 posts, read 4,414,855 times
Baking Soda is great for lots of cleaning ( pots, walls, scratches on ceramic tile) but I haven't tried in laundry...... hmmm off to check out that suggestion.Do you add it along with detergent?

Old 10-23-2020, 04:39 PM

7,430 posts, read 4,672,937 times
Just wish to share.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsvzIPl2D20

Old 10-24-2020, 05:30 AM

4,723 posts, read 4,414,855 times
Wow that was truly amazing! thanks for sharing, Yippee!

Old 10-24-2020, 10:58 AM

7,430 posts, read 4,672,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
Wow that was truly amazing! thanks for sharing, Yippee!
You bet Mayveen!

Old 10-26-2020, 02:51 PM

22,319 posts, read 29,400,492 times
Totally awesome video

Old 10-28-2020, 01:45 PM

2,106 posts, read 977,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokensky View Post
The only way to do fans effectively is to use a vacuum cleaner. It is a strain for me and very difficult b/c of stenosis in my cervical area - I can only lift my arms for a matter of moments b/f numbness sets in. This is one reason I always have had a housekeeper, but since moving - I have gone through several housekeepers who simply will not do this task (and many others) the way I want it. If I wanted the dust to fly - I would just take a feather duster and not bother w/ having to strain w/ the vac!!!!!

My former housekeepers used a vac and then wiped off the blades w/ a wet cloth . . . then sprayed on Endust as this helps keep the dust from embedding worse on the blades in the future. This is a time consuming task when done properly.

As for showers, I wipe down after I have thoroughly cleaned w/ Weiman's Lemon Oil, as that helps w/ sheeting action. Others have said they use stuff you use in cars - window washing stuff that has a "sheeting action." I have found this stuff builds up and makes a mess on my mirrors and glass in the bathroom, but maybe I am not using it correctly!
How did she reach the ceiling fan blades to spray Endust .

Old 02-06-2021, 12:41 PM

50,721 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokensky View Post
On another thread, I mentioned that I use Weiman's Lemon Oil as a way to "wax" my stainless steel appliances (after washing and drying them). Then you only have to touch up the lemon oil application every so often . . . and you don't have to wash the doors and handles as often, either.

I also mentioned that after I clean the shower, I apply the Lemon Oil, as the water beads up on it and it keeps calcium and lime from building up-especially nice on shower doors.

So I thought . . . what other "secrets" do others have that can be shared w/ the rest of us?

Here is another one: if you have lost an item on the floor somewhere, but aren't sure where, and you need to vacuum, put an old hose over the nozzle so that the piece of jewelry (or whatever) doesn't get sucked into the vac.

Squirt Clorox II on your grout, let it sit, then rinse after about 30 mins and it will clean your grout - no scrubbing.

If you have brass light fixtures outside, coat them w/ car wax to keep them bright and shiny.

I hope others of you will contribute some "secrets!!!!" Also, any short-cuts that make a chore easier, or products that work especially well.

Moderator Note: Due to popular request, Pssssst! Household Secrets!!! has been elevated to "Sticky" status...
That's a great idea!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House