Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2020, 02:14 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,437,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
Sorry, but that problem is entirely...yours. You CAN help it. You just don't WANT to. Just because you have an irrational fear doesn't mean that the dog itself isn't lovable or friendly.
A person already with a heightened fear, looking to overcome it, is not in an good position to assess whether a dog will be a good candidate to try to make friends. They're currently fear-all, and think the goal is to fear-none. By virtue of overcoming the fear, the urge to approach and pet or hold a dog (self-induced exposure therapy) is at direct odds with screening the animal's behavior. Passing on a prospective interaction may feel like making an excuse, whereas choosing to approach in the face of danger could result in a costly mistake. Personally, I'd pick a friend with a dog that has been able to be trained to follow a number of commands, instead of starting with just any dog, or the next dog you saw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2020, 03:42 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Mostly about business, but it does apply somewhat to houses:

People who do not put an address on the house or building where it can be seen from the road.

It's my understanding that the local fire department is also irritated by the lack of visible addresses.

Old 12-10-2020, 04:38 PM

4,088 posts, read 2,563,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

People who do not put an address on the house or building where it can be seen from the road.

It's my understanding that the local fire department is also irritated by the lack of visible addresses.
Didn't think of this one! Not being able see the address of a house is not just annoying when you're looking for a specific address, but it's unsafe for the reasons that you mentioned.

It's especially annoying in neighborhoods where the house numbers aren't in a logical sequence. (You'd be surprised how often this happens--especially in older cities and towns.) For example, the house number of my childhood home is an odd number that's right next door to a house with an even number with the numbers being spaced far apart.

Old 12-10-2020, 08:43 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,326,193 times
I had to walk through a bedroom to use the loo and there were chicken feathers everywhere.

Seemed to be borderline hoarders so I'll add that to the list right after chicken feathers.

Not comfortable in hoarder houses.

Okay not big on filth but it has to be bad for me to judge.

Old 12-10-2020, 09:35 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,965,949 times
OP should have titles this thread "My Hillbilly Friends House"

Kidding aside pet hair is something I deal with. My Mother has cats, and one is in his teens and is a little wizzer. Lots of furniture has plastic covers. He's a sweet cat, but he would have been gone a long time ago if it was up to me. And the 4 year old female likes to get into things. She's calmed down a lot. She orange, and orange cats can be nutty?

How bout people's dogs jumping up on you when you enter their home. I want to walk right over to them and jump on them.

(Last time I was in somebodies house it was a wake and the house was beautiful, clean, and they had lots of great food)

Last edited by Digger 68; 12-10-2020 at 09:47 PM..

Old 12-10-2020, 09:54 PM

4,210 posts, read 4,458,844 times
Thread reminded me of the children's classic book about Benjamin Budge and Barnaby Ball. One's house to small, one's house to big.

Unless I'm spending a significant time staying over I wouldn't care too much. The number one thing would be smell. I remember as kid if visiting parent's friend's house with heavy smokers I couldn't stand it. We had a distant cousin I recall visiting as a young child that in just a brief time in their house your clothes / hair would stink like an ashtray.

If being invited to stay for a few days it would be combination of smell and the other's 'acceptable level' of cleanliness or lack thereof as generally they go together. Only once did I encounter this. It was a friend's apartment on one of my trips to NYC. When I took shower the first time I discovered the bathtub was disgustingly dirty, for what I thought was 'non slip' texture, was built up soap scum and grime. While I was glad he let me stay at his place, I found it so disgusting, I went out and bought cleaning products and did my best to clean the tub since I was going to be there a few days.

Smells from pets, dander, and generally an unclean home would annoy me.

Old 12-11-2020, 12:33 AM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I had to walk through a bedroom to use the loo and there were chicken feathers everywhere.

Seemed to be borderline hoarders so I'll add that to the list right after chicken feathers.

Not comfortable in hoarder houses.

Okay not big on filth but it has to be bad for me to judge.
My uncle once told me about the night when all seven children had a pillow fight. They were all cleaning up feathers and down for weeks.

Old 12-11-2020, 01:43 AM

3,154 posts, read 2,070,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MedvedActual View Post
Whaaat? What houses do you visit where 'normal' people do not allow such activities? Just plain old crazy. Tell me they also expect you to use silverware at dinner table and that would be the last straw...
Tell me about it....one night we were playing cards, and at about 3 AM, because we were drinking beer all night, were making frequent trips to the John. So to save time and not wake up the kids (it was a school night), we decided to use the kitchen sink, near where we were playing cards (at the dining room table). My Buddy's wife went all Martha Stuart on him the next morning, totally ignoring the fact that we took the dinner dishes out first. Good game, though, except that Leroy crapped himself tippy-toeing at the counter. Ahhhh, who am I kidding, that just made it funnier.

Old 12-11-2020, 02:51 AM

261 posts, read 189,589 times
Not so much the neighbors but the people who built the house(s).

Some developers here buy old Farms and go about building as many houses in that land as they can squeeze in. They build them as fast as they can get them up to sell and rarely do they consider
anything except all electric. That way no gas lines for gas furnaces, just a line dropped from the power pole. (cheap and dirty)

This leads to a lot of heat pump's installed and often they don't consider the loud discharge (like a blast of air) the heat pump makes when it shuts down. But it's the way those things work by their design.
When enough of those are running in the winter it's a wonder anyone can get any sleep. Even those in other neighborhoods within ear shot.

But when you are outside of the city limits there is no particular codes to follow. Still I've seen a lot of people retrofit an outdoor furnace that runs Propane Gas and then only use the heat pump as the air conditioner during the summer. (or emergency back up heat in the winter) That way the heat pump will last more than the average 15 year life span.

Old 12-11-2020, 06:28 AM

50,802 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

In NJ getting a CO requires reflective 4" numbers that can be seen from the road. I hate this too. I used to drive for Domino's back in the days before GPs or map programs. Semi-rural roads, dark houses up on a hill, half the houses didn't have numbers visible at all. Me driving down the street at 20mph shining a giant flashlight in a desperate attempt to find house numbers, while people behind me honked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House