Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2021, 11:17 AM

14,254 posts, read 14,754,235 times

Advertisements

Other than being polite, I do not engage workers in my house. I also do not stand over their shoulders while they are working. I leave them alone to do their jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2021, 11:47 AM

4,096 posts, read 6,220,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Yeah, it has always amazed me how many people on this forum just have random people, tradesmen, passersby on the sidewalk, fellow grocery shoppers, etc. just come up to them and start talking politics.

I'd call bull**** on them all except you know how everything you see on the internet is true.
People speak out their politics all the time, don’t know what bubble you are in. Several times just standing in line to pay people have started political conversations with me out of the blue. The last beautician I went to, having scissors in hand, couldn’t wait to start in on politics. Of course opposite to mine but she didn’t know that because I hadn’t brought it up. Just launched into a tirade of how my candidates were evil horrible dunces. I did reply, but never went back. My hair didn’t turn out well either! I do wonder if it was because of my reply. A few of my friends go to her and wonder why I haven’t been back. I told them I’m not going to go sit in a chair and pay someone to listen to their politics.

Old 01-01-2021, 11:48 AM

45,435 posts, read 60,638,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Other than being polite, I do not engage workers in my house. I also do not stand over their shoulders while they are working. I leave them alone to do their jobs.
Yeah, I'll check in with them to see if they'd like a bottle of water or cup of coffee or anything to make their job a bit easier (another extension cord as an example) but I usually just make my self scarce but available if something comes up (flipping a breaker, turning off the water, etc.).

Old 01-01-2021, 11:52 AM

45,435 posts, read 60,638,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
People speak out their politics all the time, don’t know what bubble you are in. The last beautician I went to, having scissors in hand, couldn’t wait to start in on politics. Of course opposite to mine but she didn’t know that because I hadn’t brought it up. Just launched into a tirade of how my candidates were evil horrible dunces. I did reply, but never went back. My hair didn’t turn out well either! I do wonder if it was because of my reply. A few of my friends go to her and wonder why I haven’t been back. I told them I’m not going to go sit in a chair and pay someone to listen to their politics.
The bubble of having been an elected official for over twenty years. So yes, people would indeed stop me on the street to talk about local issues.

But just random people, tradesmen, fellow shoppers, even my barber (who, as a business owner, would ask me questions sometmes) like seems to be the standard here just has never happened. Ever.

Old 01-01-2021, 12:27 PM

6,371 posts, read 4,196,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
Good policy. Smart.
I totally agree and the tradesman should feel free comment on the matter that he was hired to deal with.

I could care less about his or hers own take on sex, politics, the environment, etc.

If they want to save the whales or are advocates for or against immigration, fine, however keep that to yourself or have those discussions with others who are willing participants. Factual info regarding the work at hand is appropriate, sharing your personal beliefs is not and I would politely make that very evident.

Old 01-01-2021, 12:49 PM

7,246 posts, read 7,083,322 times
Love the assumptions.

This was the basic conversation:

Me: This is looking good. I'm so glad to be getting this done. I had to put it off, of course, because of everything (eluding to the shutdown).

Him: Oh yeah (agreeing). *insert rant about everything that happened and his opinions on who was at fault, including insulting words about certain demographics*

I stayed silent as he ranted, as I was not only a bit shocked at this, but I was trying to keep things professional. Once he stopped ranting, I basically said 'well I'll let you get back to it'.

Again, the lesson is: be professional.

Old 01-01-2021, 01:35 PM

5,453 posts, read 4,058,826 times
I think I would have added - "I'm not interested in discussing this."

When I used to go south for the winter, I was always amazed at how many people would assume you had the same political/religious/whatever views as them. Talk about living in a bubble.

Old 01-01-2021, 04:00 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,718,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
So yesterday I had a guy in who was installing some cabinets for us. This was a project I would have had done months ago if not for the shutdown.

He seemed to be good at the work. I've no complaints about that. But as they day went on and we got a bit more talkative he made his political views known.

They were in total opposition to mine.

Mind you, I didn't bring up politics but just said how happy I was to be getting this job done since I had to put it off. He said some pretty insulting things, thinking I was of the same mind. I kept my mouth shut about my opinions.

Well, any chance of me ever calling him back to do any work at my house went out the window right then and there.

Pro tip: Be professional, people.
But your problem is you've opened the can of worms. When dealing with contractors, respect their work don't mix business with politics or pleasure. Most people these days make the mistake of choosing sides in public and voicing their displeasure of our political system. In other countries people can openly debate which politician is right or wrong without much scrutiny except Americans.

Old 01-01-2021, 04:01 PM

17,712 posts, read 29,844,231 times
I would appreciate the comments from the tradesman.
If I disagreed with his/her politics it would lead me to write a crappy Yelp review and tell my neighbors not to hire.

Old 01-01-2021, 04:14 PM

14,956 posts, read 12,162,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
I would appreciate the comments from the tradesman.
If I disagreed with his/her politics it would lead me to write a crappy Yelp review and tell my neighbors not to hire.
Akin to the "cancel culture" bunch, eh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House