Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2023, 02:21 PM

22,594 posts, read 47,689,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
A lot of them are not, and most of them don't have the CFM 'Ooomph' to exhaust squat.
Then you can choose to look for and buy one that does!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2023, 02:22 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,074,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Would removing the over the range and getting a freestanding micro be a turnoff for buyers down the line? Do buyers expect to have the microwaves built in?

For reference the price point of the home is in the 750-900k range.

If your concern is over "resale"- only you or your agent would know what is the "norm" for the RR/Austin area.

As for the price point- in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't really mean anything to the rest of the country. What $750k buys in TX, doesn't buy squat in Cali or NYC.

And as pointed out previously, OTR micros can be externally vented- is yours? Can it be? If so, what's the point?

Old 08-22-2023, 02:24 PM

23,311 posts, read 18,865,187 times
This again? Depends on the kitchen IMO. My previous house's kitchen had lots of counterspace. When I converted the house to newly available natural gas I removed the over-the-stove microwave with its dumb recirculating internal vent in favor of an external vent hood and used a countertop unit instead. Worked great. My current kitchen has very little counter space. The over-the-stove microwave it came with (yes, it also has an external vent) makes a huge difference in how functional the kitchen is. I don't buy or remodel a house just for its resale value. I buy and/or remodel so it suits ME.

Last edited by Parnassia; 08-22-2023 at 03:39 PM..

Old 08-22-2023, 02:29 PM

19,786 posts, read 22,680,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Then you can choose to look for and buy one that does!
I had one house with the OTR microwave 'vent' was on an interior wall and the venting ran horizontally thru the cabinets to the wall- total sucko. You couldn't go vertical thru the second floor due to floor plan; AND

And either way those OTR microwave vents have about as much exhaust 'oomph' as a hair dryer. Never had one worth their salt when you actually, you know, cook.

Old 08-22-2023, 02:36 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,487,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
If your concern is over "resale"- only you or your agent would know what is the "norm" for the RR/Austin area.

As for the price point- in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't really mean anything to the rest of the country. What $750k buys in TX, doesn't buy squat in Cali or NYC.

And as pointed out previously, OTR micros can be externally vented- is yours? Can it be? If so, what's the point?
Depends on where in Cali and NYC. I come from NYC, so i should know. For many areas of the country, people would understand why I stated that. At certain price points, people would expect certain things and that range would be more than squat.

The exhaust fan is just ok and frankly I just don't like how it looks. I'd say looks is probably 70% of the reason, and probably the most important one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
This again? Depends on the kitchen IMO. My previous house's kitchen had lots of counterspace. When I converted the house to newly available natural gas I removed the over-the-stove microwave with its dumb recirculating internal vent in favor of an external vent hood and used a countertop unit instead. Worked great. My current kitchen has very little counter space. The over-the-stove microwave it came with (yes, it also has an external vent) makes a huge difference in how functional the kitchen is. I don't buy or remodel a house just for its resale value. I buy and remodel so it suits ME.
You act as if I knew this question was asked before.

I just wanted to get some feedback before I go and just do something that could be an issue down the line.
I'm one of the biggest proponents of "you do you", but maybe this time I'd just want some feedback?

Old 08-22-2023, 02:40 PM

23,311 posts, read 18,865,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
You act as if I knew this question was asked before.

I just wanted to get some feedback before I go and just do something that could be an issue down the line.
I'm one of the biggest proponents of "you do you", but maybe this time I'd just want some feedback?
There have been multiple long drawn out threads here debating pros and cons of over-the-stove microwaves. I'm certain resale value ended up being part of those discussions.

Old 08-22-2023, 02:43 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,487,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I know, right?
Ours were always vented to the outside.

In our new place, it is built into the island. Which is fine for us as we rarely use it.

When are you moving? If not in the next year or so, don't worry about that. Preferences change.... a lot.
Not anytime soon. Just wanted feedback is all.

Don't want to re-do anything, so I just want to remove it and put it on a cart or something. probably scale it down in size as well, as we don't need such a big thing.

Old 08-22-2023, 03:02 PM

13,077 posts, read 7,519,082 times
Went thru 3 OTR and 2 counter microwaves in our SFH. We like the counter MW because of it's internal space and high power. Replaced the OTR exhaust fan with a Pacific Range with oil traps and removable fan.

Our current abode, downside condo, we immediately remodeled to remove the OTR and replaced with counter MW and Hauslane Range Hood with oil traps and steam cleaning. We have gone thru 3 counter MW at this location in 5 years. I hate to think the costs in replacing a OTR-MW. The counter MW sits on top of the clothes washer room, adjacent to the kitchen

Old 08-22-2023, 03:15 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,795,746 times
I will say that although I have an OTR micro. - I would prefer a drawer one or a countertop one but w/a small galley kitchen - OTR isn't the best for petite people.

Old 08-22-2023, 05:23 PM

3,328 posts, read 2,272,844 times
For me it wouldn't be a deal-breaker; I've had both countertop and OTR microwaves and have enjoyed both. My current one is OTR and I've used it for over 18 years, so I guess I'm OK with it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House