Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2023, 05:39 PM

9,847 posts, read 7,712,566 times

Advertisements

I don't like over the range microwaves at all. I'm short, and they're a hassle and expensive to replace when something happens.

I just got a new microwave for the corner counter, I put it at an angle. It's big. We use the top for spices. There's counter space on both sides and in front of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2023, 07:42 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
So I'm not really loving our over the range microwave. I'd rather have a vent hood and shelf instead.

The problem is where to put a microwave.

The kitchen was remodeled by the previous owners and the cabinetry isn't inexpensive. Reconfiguring it to include either a microwave drawer or built in microwave isn't an option without remodeling the kitchen again, which is a waste of money because we like things as they are (except for the over range microwave)

Would removing the over the range and getting a freestanding micro be a turnoff for buyers down the line? Do buyers expect to have the microwaves built in?

For reference the price point of the home is in the 750-900k range.

Thanks,
I am actually going to be undergoing a major home remodel in about a month. Microwaves do not need to be vented. There needs to be some air space around them but they don’t need to be vented. My microwave is going onto a shelf in my pantry area. It is a smaller microwave, but I pretty much use it to heat up the milk for my coffee in the morning, and an occasional frozen dinner. Lean cuisine makes a chicken apple rice dish that’s really good. Most frozen foods have a reliance on onions and peppers which I don’t get along with. So it’s nice to find some thing that doesn’t have any of that. I may eat that about once every three weeks.

In actuality, hood range microwaves are not the cool thing anymore. People are hiding the microwaves and getting a regular range hood. And I’m not really doing anything high-end.

Old 08-23-2023, 08:31 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aa6660 View Post
A built-in microwave would not be a positive to me.

When we remodeled, we put the microwave in the pantry. It doesn't get used that often, and if it breaks, we can just swap it out with another one of most any size - no trying to match up specs or worry about hard-wired v plug in. I do have a baker's rack in my kitchen, but it holds the air fryer and pressure cooker now since they do get used pretty often.

When my parents built their house, they left a large hole with finished insides in the island for a microwave instead of committing to a microwave drawer.

that's a great idea!

Old 08-24-2023, 09:07 AM

9,847 posts, read 7,712,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
that's a great idea!
If you have a big pantry!

Old 08-24-2023, 09:51 AM

350 posts, read 195,714 times
Having a microwave on a counter selling a home is a BIG PET PEEVE of mine. Nothing like announcing a defect and loss of counter space!

I also hate clutter. My last two [Florida] condos sold in HOURS and they were staged sparse, like a hotel.

At least take it OFF the counter in seller's photos and for walk throughs and let buyers realize themselves there's no microwave if you insist on not doing an over range one or finding a remodeling place to house it.

I actually despise smelling lingering cooked food in the house so I put that type of cooking stuff out on the enclosed lanai anyway

Old 08-24-2023, 10:03 AM

6,556 posts, read 8,381,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
So I'm not really loving our over the range microwave. I'd rather have a vent hood and shelf instead.

The problem is where to put a microwave.

The kitchen was remodeled by the previous owners and the cabinetry isn't inexpensive. Reconfiguring it to include either a microwave drawer or built in microwave isn't an option without remodeling the kitchen again, which is a waste of money because we like things as they are (except for the over range microwave)

Would removing the over the range and getting a freestanding micro be a turnoff for buyers down the line? Do buyers expect to have the microwaves built in?

For reference the price point of the home is in the 750-900k range.

Thanks,
I prefer a built-in microwave because I don't like a lot of appliances on my countertops.

For that price point, yes, I think buyers would expect the microwave to be built-in. But as a comparison, you could look at listings that are for sale or have sold in that price point to see where the microwaves are.

Old 08-25-2023, 01:29 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
I hate ours being over the range. it has this worthless fan that do nothing. We will be removing it and install a exhaust hood. I can't cook anything without the fire alarm going off.

Old 08-25-2023, 04:55 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
I prefer a built-in microwave because I don't like a lot of appliances on my countertops.

For that price point, yes, I think buyers would expect the microwave to be built-in. But as a comparison, you could look at listings that are for sale or have sold in that price point to see where the microwaves are.
I don't think there is a price point that would specifically reward a seller for a microwave over the cooktop.
There are better ways to do a built-in, if one thinks it will be important to a buyer.

Old 08-25-2023, 07:05 AM

4,502 posts, read 2,651,635 times
I think that in medium to high-end houses it'll be expected that the nuker's built in.

Over the stove in conjunction with a vent hood is, I believe, the worst configuration. You compromise the performance of the vent hood, and you create a hot food burn hazard. I don't like to think of my 5'2” wife reaching UP OVER HER HEAD to take a bowl of hot soup, practically boiling, out of the microwave, then performing the rotations necessary to get it safely down onto the counter top. Not to mention that you may be reaching over OPEN FLAMES (in the gas of a gas stove) to get to what's in the uwave. Or reaching over LIVE STEAM (on either electric or gas) which can burn you quite nicely too.

So whaddya do? you put the nuker at chest height or below.

Old 08-27-2023, 02:30 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
Thanks everyone!

I'm leaning towards getting a small cart and putting a small microwave on it. We absolutely don't need the monster sized one that we have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House