Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2023, 10:42 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,156,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
So I'm not really loving our over the range microwave. I'd rather have a vent hood and shelf instead.
I agree they are often poorly placed. My father's condo had the microwave over-counter rather than stupidly over-the-range. That condo was built around 2010 or so.

Quote:
The problem is where to put a microwave.

The kitchen was remodeled by the previous owners and the cabinetry isn't inexpensive. Reconfiguring it to include either a microwave drawer or built in microwave isn't an option without remodeling the kitchen again, which is a waste of money because we like things as they are (except for the over range microwave)
Well, that's always been the problem since the day the were invented.

Many apartments and older homes have galley kitchens that truly suck. Counterspace is limited (often extremely) and there's no way to do an overhead or even use a cart.

I once lived in an 1880s town house that had a galley kitchen but the kitchen was long enough to accommodate a table/chairs for 4 and you could put a cart or an island cart (I did the latter).

The first home I lived in had an open kitchen but not much counterspace. My father bought an Amana Radar Range not too long after they came out and my mother was like "Why did you do that? We don't have the space." Luckily, there was enough room between the top of the microwave and bottom of the cabinets to put stuff so that's what we did.

Quote:
Would removing the over the range and getting a freestanding micro be a turnoff for buyers down the line? Do buyers expect to have the microwaves built in?
Not to me. Then again, I'm funny about cabinets and if I don't like them I'll replace them and here I'd replace them with an over-the-counter spot for the microwave.

Quote:
For reference the price point of the home is in the 750-900k range.
Not relevant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2023, 11:07 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,117,780 times
My last three homes (including current) had an over-the-range microwave and I much prefer this. I absolutely despise having one sitting on a counter. I could actually live without one, truth be told. Also, I do very light simple cooking and get by with just the "anemic" exhaust on my current OTR (which by the way is now 18 y.o. but working great)

My kitchen is as large as I need it but would not want a big ole microwave sitting on the counter. I use my toaster oven FAR MORE than the microwave so that is the machine that takes priority. All other gadgets stay put away until needed.

And OP, I don't think it will matter to future buyers. They will remedy what doesn't work for them, especially in that price point.

Old 08-31-2023, 01:53 PM

37,594 posts, read 45,972,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
My last three homes (including current) had an over-the-range microwave and I much prefer this. I absolutely despise having one sitting on a counter. I could actually live without one, truth be told. Also, I do very light simple cooking and get by with just the "anemic" exhaust on my current OTR (which by the way is now 18 y.o. but working great)

My kitchen is as large as I need it but would not want a big ole microwave sitting on the counter. I use my toaster oven FAR MORE than the microwave so that is the machine that takes priority. All other gadgets stay put away until needed.

And OP, I don't think it will matter to future buyers. They will remedy what doesn't work for them, especially in that price point.
I use both, just about every day. Would not be without either of them.

Old 09-07-2023, 04:58 AM

30,506 posts, read 16,206,257 times
and OP

I too don't think that by itself would be a deal breaker when buying a house. Except to maybe a very few people.

Old 09-07-2023, 06:33 AM

9,439 posts, read 5,204,944 times
I'm gettin' old. I don't want to have reach up for stuff if I can help it. Wouldn't be a deal breaker for me if a house had one though.

Old 09-07-2023, 07:21 AM

43,275 posts, read 77,083,054 times
Done right, an over-the-cooktop microwave may be OK with many folks.
But I've seen so many done really poorly.
Cooktop is typically 36" above floor level. Maybe 36+" if it is gas with the large grates over the burners.

Then, the common requirement for cabinet clearance is 30" over the cooktop.
This works well for a venting range hood.
Put a 16" high microwave in, and you have 14" clearance between the microwave and the cooktop. Who cooks a lot and doesn't have a 12" to 14" tall stockpot plus lid for soups, etc? You will pull it out to add or stir ingredients, to check the level of simmer/boiling, etc. Meh.

So, the answer?
Raise the cabinet?
Replace the cabinet with a smaller cabinet or a shelf?
Buy a slimline microwave to increase the clearance?

But, when looking at houses and saying, "Oh, cool. Nice microwave," look at the height over the cooktop. It matters.

Old 09-07-2023, 10:29 AM

17,473 posts, read 66,019,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Done right, an over-the-cooktop microwave may be OK with many folks.
But I've seen so many done really poorly.
Cooktop is typically 36" above floor level. Maybe 36+" if it is gas with the large grates over the burners.

Then, the common requirement for cabinet clearance is 30" over the cooktop.
This works well for a venting range hood.
Put a 16" high microwave in, and you have 14" clearance between the microwave and the cooktop. Who cooks a lot and doesn't have a 12" to 14" tall stockpot plus lid for soups, etc? You will pull it out to add or stir ingredients, to check the level of simmer/boiling, etc. Meh.

So, the answer?
Raise the cabinet?
Replace the cabinet with a smaller cabinet or a shelf?
Buy a slimline microwave to increase the clearance?

But, when looking at houses and saying, "Oh, cool. Nice microwave," look at the height over the cooktop. It matters.

If you're going to to start "quoting" numbers/clearances, get it right!

From the IRC-

G2447.5(623.7)Vertical clearance above cooking top.
Household cooking appliances shall have a vertical clearance above the cooking top of not less than 30 inches (760 mm) to combustible material and metal cabinets. A minimum clearance of 24 inches (610 mm) is permitted where one of the following is installed:

1.The underside of the combustible material or metal cabinet above the cooking top is protected with not less than 1/4-inch (6.4 mm) insulating millboard covered with sheet metal not less than 0.0122 inch (0.3 mm) thick.

2.A metal ventilating hood constructed of sheet metal not less than 0.0122 inch (0.3 mm) thick is installed above the cooking top with a clearance of not less than 1/4 inch (6.4 mm) between the hood and the underside of the combustible material or metal cabinet. The hood shall have a width not less than the width of the appliance and shall be centered over the appliance.

3.A listed cooking appliance or microwave oven is installed over a listed cooking appliance and in compliance with the terms of the manufacturer’s installation instructions for the upper appliance.

Yes, I've seen the "stupid" also- but what do you expect from an ignorant DIY'er???

Old 09-07-2023, 10:54 AM

43,275 posts, read 77,083,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
If you're going to to start "quoting" numbers/clearances, get it right!

From the IRC-

G2447.5(623.7)Vertical clearance above cooking top.
Household cooking appliances shall have a vertical clearance above the cooking top of not less than 30 inches (760 mm) to combustible material and metal cabinets. A minimum clearance of 24 inches (610 mm) is permitted where one of the following is installed:

1.The underside of the combustible material or metal cabinet above the cooking top is protected with not less than 1/4-inch (6.4 mm) insulating millboard covered with sheet metal not less than 0.0122 inch (0.3 mm) thick.

2.A metal ventilating hood constructed of sheet metal not less than 0.0122 inch (0.3 mm) thick is installed above the cooking top with a clearance of not less than 1/4 inch (6.4 mm) between the hood and the underside of the combustible material or metal cabinet. The hood shall have a width not less than the width of the appliance and shall be centered over the appliance.

3.A listed cooking appliance or microwave oven is installed over a listed cooking appliance and in compliance with the terms of the manufacturer’s installation instructions for the upper appliance.

Yes, I've seen the "stupid" also- but what do you expect from an ignorant DIY'er???

Are you proposing that an installer can put a 16" tall microwave in a 24" clearance leaving 8" between cooktop and microwave and call it "right!" because it meets the IRC standards you posted?
Hmmmm....

Old 09-07-2023, 12:10 PM

17,473 posts, read 66,019,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Are you proposing that an installer can put a 16" tall microwave in a 24" clearance leaving 8" between cooktop and microwave and call it "right!" because it meets the IRC standards you posted?
Hmmmm....

Not "Proposing" anything!
RIF-

Old 09-07-2023, 01:19 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,521,264 times
I have never had one but my mother has one currently. The microwave that was included in her new house, 17 years ago, died and it was a hassle to replace it. For this reason I would never own an over the range microwave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House