Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2023, 07:24 AM

24,595 posts, read 10,909,474 times

Advertisements

I prefer a heavy duty vent going to the outside. Micro has been in a cabinet for the last three houses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2023, 08:00 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,552,412 times
I can only speak for my own preferences, but the appliances (and especially the hood/microwave) has never moved the needle on our decision to purchase a property, whether it be for us, or for an investment property.

That being said, for our family, we prefer a dedicated hood and built-in drawer microwave to an OTR microwave.

Old 08-23-2023, 08:35 AM

841 posts, read 554,042 times
A built-in microwave would not be a positive to me.

When we remodeled, we put the microwave in the pantry. It doesn't get used that often, and if it breaks, we can just swap it out with another one of most any size - no trying to match up specs or worry about hard-wired v plug in. I do have a baker's rack in my kitchen, but it holds the air fryer and pressure cooker now since they do get used pretty often.

When my parents built their house, they left a large hole with finished insides in the island for a microwave instead of committing to a microwave drawer.

Old 08-23-2023, 09:59 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,591,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
So I'm not really loving our over the range microwave. I'd rather have a vent hood and shelf instead.

The problem is where to put a microwave.

The kitchen was remodeled by the previous owners and the cabinetry isn't inexpensive. Reconfiguring it to include either a microwave drawer or built in microwave isn't an option without remodeling the kitchen again, which is a waste of money because we like things as they are (except for the over range microwave)

Would removing the over the range and getting a freestanding micro be a turnoff for buyers down the line? Do buyers expect to have the microwaves built in?

For reference the price point of the home is in the 750-900k range.

Thanks,
My last house used a lower cabinet configured to be a built-in space for a microwave. I liked it. It was a bit low, but the upper cabinets were too high for that purpose.

You can put it on the counter, IF you have a lot of counter space.

Old 08-23-2023, 11:05 AM

1,629 posts, read 1,715,268 times
I removed the over the cooktop microwave in every house I bought that had one and put in a good vent hood. I can't cook without good ventilation. A microwave on the counter top is no big deal. I'd prefer to have a cooktop and space for double ovens, one of them being a microwave. I don't like to stand at a range with a hot oven on while I'm cooking. I also don't like gas cooktops, I prefer induction. No fire, much safer, less heat to remove via ventilation.

Old 08-23-2023, 11:16 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,008,920 times
W o w........it seems like I should have done this thread. The title, the format, the subject all fits to me. Are there two of me running around loose in the world?

Anyhow, to answer the question, if the built in/over the range microwave breaks, you have to find one that fits the space and get experts or at least more hands to replace it. That's what happened when mine broke.....and the order lagged and lagged and lagged.

I finally cancelled the order, got a cheaper microwave, and put it on the island.

What happened to the over the stove one is that one of the two latches on the door eventually broke, disabling it. Now here's a question to consider.....did the heat, fumes, smoke from the range over time weaken the latches to point of failure? I mean, they are just plastic.

Old 08-23-2023, 01:50 PM

50,382 posts, read 64,021,617 times
Ours is on a shelf, built into the cabinets. I would not want one over the stove, or on the counter.

Old 08-23-2023, 02:38 PM

984 posts, read 546,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
So I'm not really loving our over the range microwave. I'd rather have a vent hood and shelf instead.

The problem is where to put a microwave.

The kitchen was remodeled by the previous owners and the cabinetry isn't inexpensive. Reconfiguring it to include either a microwave drawer or built in microwave isn't an option without remodeling the kitchen again, which is a waste of money because we like things as they are (except for the over range microwave)

Would removing the over the range and getting a freestanding micro be a turnoff for buyers down the line? Do buyers expect to have the microwaves built in?

For reference the price point of the home is in the 750-900k range.

Thanks,
I am in an old house that has that built in over the range microwave with a vent. I hate it and plan to take it out when I remodel the kitchen. The microwave hasn't worked for 20 years or more (was put in when the house was remodeled in the 80's). The vent doesn't do much, but makes a lot of noise, the kind of noise that would cause you to think it would suck up the cat but it pulls nothing. I have removed the vent covers and can't figure it out.

I am probably not helping, but I would reather have a standard stove vent instead of this contraptioin.

Old 08-23-2023, 03:18 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,877,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat56 View Post
The vent doesn't do much, but makes a lot of noise, the kind of noise that would cause you to think it would suck up the cat but it pulls nothing.
Thanks so much for that mental image!

Apologies to the cat!

Old 08-23-2023, 04:02 PM

4,857 posts, read 3,286,049 times
We've had an over the range microwave since forever. I built this kitchen a couple years ago and put one there on purpose. Personal preference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House