Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 04:52 PM

182 posts, read 350,510 times

Advertisements

Coming from cities like Laredo and San Antonio, TX...Houston is VERY diverse.
I guess I can agree it's not paradise, but to me there is plenty of tolerance. Anyone moving here expecting only white folk should go somewhere else.

In the work place you will hang out with all sorts of people. Everyone gets along just fine. Maybe after work no so much, but you know... it's ok. It's not the end of the world. And maybe once in a while you will hang out. And that's..cool.

It doesn't have to be a utopia, or the most diverse city on the planet. But to say it's not diverse and full of intolerance everywhere...well that's not true. Not one bit.

Old 01-29-2011, 05:15 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,813,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
How about subdivisions like Cinco Ranch, Sienna Plantation, and others?

I'm asking because my aunt and I were having this debate about people of all races being integrated, but in Alabama and the old South, alot of people are STUCK back in "those" days were people were segregated to the fullest. I'm not exposed to so much diversity. Our diversity is on par with Atlanta's or Birmingham's.
Cinco Ranch and Sienna Plantation is very diverse. Mainly folks from South and East Asia.

Old 01-29-2011, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
lol, there is nothing wrong with same ethnicities hanging out with each other. The thing is different ethnicities hand out with each other too.

I am a mutt, My best friend is Asian, by second bestie is latin, my fiancee and godson are white and my god daughter is black.

There are some hoods that are not really mixed, but on a whole there is a hella lot of mixing here
There isn't but I still would like to see other races hang out together and not just stick to your own culture. As a South Asian myself, I can make friends with just about anyone.

Old 01-29-2011, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
I finished High School 2 years ago, I'm 20 years old now and am an Asian Indian minority and have never in my life experienced any racism for my race and whatever and haven't seen any racism to others either, and I went to 2 different high schools.

It's fine here. Racism does exist like it does everywhere, but I can promise you, chances of being a victim to racism here, once in a blue moon.
I did experience racism as a South Asian guy back in the 90's from Junior and High school and I was like the only brown kid, lol. Things are different now.

Old 01-29-2011, 05:48 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,963,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post

There isn't but I still would like to see other races hang out together and not just stick to your own culture.
lol, but they do. all the time. My friends have always been from a wide variety of races/ethnicities.
Quote:
As a South Asian myself, I can make friends with just about anyone.

lol, is that a South Asian specialty??

Old 01-29-2011, 06:29 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,203,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
I get profiled every time I meet with a bilingual team leader and they assume my white Norwegian ass couldn't possibly speak a lick of Spanish.
Isn't your wife from Mexico? Is so, I would say you get some coaching at home!
Quote:
Cinco Ranch and Sienna Plantation is very diverse. Mainly folks from South and East Asia.
You keep saying that. I guess you don't see all those other people that live out there. Have you actually been there?

Old 01-29-2011, 06:41 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,786,979 times
Try not to argue! Thanks.

Old 01-29-2011, 06:52 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,570,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
Isn't your wife from Mexico? Is so, I would say you get some coaching at home!
She's from the Valley, but you'd think she was whiter than me if you heard her on the phone. And, yes, she does speak Spanish.

Old 01-29-2011, 06:53 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,677,385 times
Quote:
Do people of all races really blend together in Houston or are they in their own enclaves?
As others pointed out, it depends where you live. In my Fondren SW neighborhood we have African Americans, Nigerians, a variety of Central American families, Mexicans, Orthodox Jews, gay couples, white folk, etc. I'm not saying we all hang out with each other but neighbors wave and know each others names.

Old 01-29-2011, 06:57 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,203,029 times
Quote:
Try not to argue! Thanks.
People come on the forum to get information. To make Sugar Land sound like it's all one race - or very nearly so - when it most definately is not - is not helpful to those trying to make decisions. The area is diverse. Are there a lot of South Asians in Sugar Land? Yes, but there's a lot of everybody. A statement like there is mainly South Asians there is not even close to being true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston