Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 08:31 PM

848 posts, read 2,127,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweebo2220 View Post
That description could easily be about Downtown LA five years ago (even with the "blade runner" feel!)... especially the hipsters mixing with the club kids and the frat boys. I loved that kind of stuff.

I don't know if Downtown LA has changed or if the world has changed---but while Downtown LA still might be just as diverse ethnically, you really don't get the same level of subcultural mish-mosh you used to get when The Smell was a true punk venue, Bar 107 was a legitimate hipster bar, Club 740 was the biggest cheesy club around, etc. Nowadays it feels like downtown is more dominated by one (albeit very ethnically diverse) demographic.

Glad to hear that Houston is a little less locked-down... but watch out! The same fate may await Downtown Houston as well!

Once upon a time during the Houston downtown explosion of around 1999-2002...it was the flashy, uber-scene...very concentrated. The demographic was pretty much upscale white then.

After that scene passed on due to shifting developments elsewhere and rail construction, downtown Houston evolved from a high-energy club scene to pretty much a smattering of varied bars and lower maintenance nightclubs that cater to Latinos and blacks. The upscale scene shifted to other parts of H-town. There's still the stuff with Bayou Place and Houston Pavilions too.

Is downtown LA still a major see-and-be-seen nightlife mecca? And I'm curious, what is the dominant demo there these days?

Maybe if that scene passes, it will return like downtown Houston of today. Broadway in downtown Los Angeles is a very striking street. Did they ever rehab that part, I wonder.

Or probably downtown Houston and LA were fated for role-reversals of sorts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2012, 10:52 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,779,367 times
Well, maybe Houston may be hip to people outside of CD.

Old 08-18-2012, 10:59 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,136,325 times
The guy on here who drives around shooting videos of shopping centers thinks it's hip. That's all that matters.

Old 08-18-2012, 12:13 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,991,946 times
ROTFLMAO! Hahahaha!

The media kills me when it comes to Texas and Houston. The way they sound it REALLY does sound like there isn't ONE unemployed person down here.

Come to Texas! Jobssssssssssssssssssssss!!!!!!!! For everyone! You'll step off the plane and employers will be like the paparazzi yelling your name trying to hire you. Like you apply and the minute you hit send your phone I ringing and you get an offer without an interview

Who paid Forbes to put Houston at the top. That's some real bad false advertising and makes me think we're secretly doing worse than they're letting on.

Jobs? Yes. But not JOBS like they're acting like.

Houston is a huge good old boys club. It's all about who you know big time.

1. get your nursing degree from small town CC Iowa, fly down, walk into a hospital at TMC and be handed a job in 10 minutes.
2. Get your engineering degree walk into Exxon and be like hello and they just look at you and say "You have an engineering degree? You're hired"
3. You're a teacher? Okay, he's your classroom.

They sure do make it sound like it's really that easy. Houston has JOBS! You can get hired like crazy. Some really smart, extremely experienced unemployed people in Houston. But...but...Houston has jobs!?!?!?!

Like that dude who started the "trying to get into the oil/gas industry" thread. The way they make it sound simply by having his engineering degree and wanting to move to Houston he should have NO issue landing a cushy jobs because jobs are flowing like Niagara.

Old 08-18-2012, 08:50 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,623,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo2000 View Post
Most Houstonians do this themselves here on city-data. In all of the "Houston is boring" threads, you can find Houstonians proudly proclaiming that the city is "business" first. Personally, I think the list is crap. Also, while its not my favorite city, Austin is more laid back than Houston. Its probably as liberal as Texas is gonna get so that helps.
I think alot of Houstonians on here don't get out much and just paint the city that way without actually having an active social life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
ROTFLMAO! Hahahaha!

The media kills me when it comes to Texas and Houston. The way they sound it REALLY does sound like there isn't ONE unemployed person down here.

Come to Texas! Jobssssssssssssssssssssss!!!!!!!! For everyone! You'll step off the plane and employers will be like the paparazzi yelling your name trying to hire you. Like you apply and the minute you hit send your phone I ringing and you get an offer without an interview

Who paid Forbes to put Houston at the top. That's some real bad false advertising and makes me think we're secretly doing worse than they're letting on.

Jobs? Yes. But not JOBS like they're acting like.

Houston is a huge good old boys club. It's all about who you know big time.

1. get your nursing degree from small town CC Iowa, fly down, walk into a hospital at TMC and be handed a job in 10 minutes.
2. Get your engineering degree walk into Exxon and be like hello and they just look at you and say "You have an engineering degree? You're hired"
3. You're a teacher? Okay, he's your classroom.

They sure do make it sound like it's really that easy. Houston has JOBS! You can get hired like crazy. Some really smart, extremely experienced unemployed people in Houston. But...but...Houston has jobs!?!?!?!

Like that dude who started the "trying to get into the oil/gas industry" thread. The way they make it sound simply by having his engineering degree and wanting to move to Houston he should have NO issue landing a cushy jobs because jobs are flowing like Niagara.
Compared to alot of other cities and state's Houston and Texas don't lie. Numbers don't lie. I don't think anybody is saying move here "BOOM YOU GOT A JOB". But compared to other cities and states the job market down here is far better then other major cities. I especially here this from people who have moved here from other states and cities.

Old 08-18-2012, 09:44 PM

848 posts, read 2,127,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
The guy on here who drives around shooting videos of shopping centers thinks it's hip. That's all that matters.
The guy who drives around shooting videos of shopping centers (as if that's all you find in Houston) has also shown videos of Houston's myriad urban landscapes, varied street textures, unique commercial bungalows, palapas, rehabbed mini-Victorians and other assorted party areas...and knows how to put this commercial versatility into a greater context.

I kinda feel sorry for Anal Urbanist types who are allergic to "shopping centers"...the types whom you wonder if they truly know how to enjoy a night out in any city that is not up to their distinguished standards of proper density. THIS IS THE SUNBELT...go with it! Forget that some of these "shopping centers" have some really, really fun spots to enjoy.

Forget the fact that Houston has everything from downtown urban party centers to wide super decks on Richmond to intimate retro post-WWII cafe/bar houses on White Oak to tight bar crawls on Morningside...and certain haters can only bring up "shopping centers?"

Like I've always said, Houston has MORE variety of commercial structures and spacing than places like San Francisco and Chicago. I mean, you ain't really gonna find a nightlife street in Chicago or San Fran than can comfortably hold the huge decks of Deck Haus, Sam's Boat, Concert Pub, and other such establishments. We have that OPTION here in H-town.

Yet we can do urban setting in downtown H-town, watch a movie at Sundance Cinema then stroll WIDE SIDEWALKS over to Minuti Coffee afterwards for dessert or espresso...big city style. Oops.

When I have my next Pina Colada over at Cafe Europe (awesome hangout in a "shopping center") or my next Corona over at El Ruchi's (awesome WIDE PATIO hangout that's not on some stuffy whitebread block on SoMa)...I am giving you a toast on that one.

This dalparadise who professed pretty much staying indoors enjoying said material comforts indoors while living in Houston and then transformed into this enchanted urban explorer upon moving to the San Francisco area.

Yep. Typical Anal Urbanists who can only have fun, or presume to have...fun, when everything is neatly arranged in tight, square and nicely arranged but PREDICTABLE city blocks...nicely scaled on wide enough sidewalks. They don't seem like truly fun-loving people to me.

Last edited by worldlyman; 08-18-2012 at 10:02 PM..

Old 08-18-2012, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyman View Post
The guy who drives around shooting videos of shopping centers (as if that's all you find in Houston) has also shown videos of Houston's myriad urban landscapes, varied street textures, unique commercial bungalows, palapas, rehabbed mini-Victorians and other assorted party areas...and knows how to put this commercial versatility into a greater context.

I kinda feel sorry for Anal Urbanist types who are allergic to "shopping centers"...the types whom you wonder if they truly know how to enjoy a night out in any city that is not up to their distinguished standards of proper density. THIS IS THE SUNBELT...go with it! Forget that some of these "shopping centers" have some really, really fun spots to enjoy.

Forget the fact that Houston has everything from downtown urban party centers to wide super decks on Richmond to intimate retro post-WWII cafe/bar houses on White Oak to tight bar crawls on Morningside...and certain haters can only bring up "shopping centers?"

Like I've always said, Houston has MORE variety of commercial structures and spacing than places like San Francisco and Chicago. I mean, you ain't really gonna find a nightlife street in Chicago or San Fran than can comfortably hold the huge decks of Deck Haus, Sam's Boat, Concert Pub, and other such establishments. We have that OPTION here in H-town.

Yet we can do urban setting in downtown H-town, watch a movie at Sundance Cinema then stroll WIDE SIDEWALKS over to Minuti Coffee afterwards for dessert or espresso...big city style. Oops.

When I have my next Pina Colada over at Cafe Europe (awesome hangout in a "shopping center") or my next Corona over at El Ruchi's (awesome WIDE PATIO hangout that's not on some stuffy whitebread block on SoMa)...I am giving you a toast on that one.

This dalparadise who professed pretty much staying indoors enjoying said material comforts indoors while living in Houston and then transformed into this enchanted urban explorer upon moving to the San Francisco area.

Yep. Typical Anal Urbanists who can only have fun, or presume to have...fun, when everything is neatly arranged in tight, square and nicely arranged but PREDICTABLE city blocks...nicely scaled on wide enough sidewalks. They don't seem like truly fun-loving people to me.
You're funny. Coronas? Really? Piña Coladas?! Sweet merciful Jesus. It's posts like these that remind me what I left behind in Houston.

I lived there, in Montrose, The Heights and The West End for more than 20 years. The Houston you describe so wants to be counted among the big urban amenities cities. It just is not, though. It is a great place, nonetheless. A truly unique city with a lot to offer. It is not a great urban experience, though, no matter how much it really wishes it were. I had the best times of my life in Houston. It failed to satisfy as a big city experience, though. That's what makes it appealing to many. I get it. Houston should embrace that.

Trying to make some patio in a shopping center or the foot traffic from a coffee shop to a parking lot seem like evidence of urban development is just laughable, though. Houston is what it is...which is plenty for millions of people. It should be happy with that.

Old 08-19-2012, 12:37 AM

2,414 posts, read 3,487,046 times
Congratulations Houston. I've always though Houston was pretty cool. Especially the stop lights and suspended round road signs around the Galleria.

Old 08-19-2012, 08:58 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,623,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
You're funny. Coronas? Really? Piña Coladas?! Sweet merciful Jesus. It's posts like these that remind me what I left behind in Houston.

I lived there, in Montrose, The Heights and The West End for more than 20 years. The Houston you describe so wants to be counted among the big urban amenities cities. It just is not, though. It is a great place, nonetheless. A truly unique city with a lot to offer. It is not a great urban experience, though, no matter how much it really wishes it were. I had the best times of my life in Houston. It failed to satisfy as a big city experience, though. That's what makes it appealing to many. I get it. Houston should embrace that.

Trying to make some patio in a shopping center or the foot traffic from a coffee shop to a parking lot seem like evidence of urban development is just laughable, though. Houston is what it is...which is plenty for millions of people. It should be happy with that.
You basically just proved his point in his post. If it isn't up to your standards. And Most Houstonians I meet could give a damn about living up to Chicago, NYC,San Fran or any other "elite" "real" city standard. Nobody thinks of that when their out partying having a good time. Matter fact the closest I heard somebody saying anything to that level, was my girlfriend when we were at Crush Lounge in The Woodlands and we were on the rooftop section of the club and they had a light show coming from the dj's set beaming onto the building next to the lounge blended in with the atmosphere from the people on the rooftop and the music and the bars,lounges,pubs,clubs below on the Waterway and she commented "This doesn't even feel like were in Texas anymore." But my girl believe's everything on TV and we know Houston doesn't get proper due in the mainstream media. Weird considering she's born and raised in Houston.

Old 08-19-2012, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
You basically just proved his point in his post. If it isn't up to your standards. And Most Houstonians I meet could give a damn about living up to Chicago, NYC,San Fran or any other "elite" "real" city standard. Nobody thinks of that when their out partying having a good time. Matter fact the closest I heard somebody saying anything to that level, was my girlfriend when we were at Crush Lounge in The Woodlands and we were on the rooftop section of the club and they had a light show coming from the dj's set beaming onto the building next to the lounge blended in with the atmosphere from the people on the rooftop and the music and the bars,lounges,pubs,clubs below on the Waterway and she commented "This doesn't even feel like were in Texas anymore." But my girl believe's everything on TV and we know Houston doesn't get proper due in the mainstream media. Weird considering she's born and raised in Houston.
Right, which is why I said Houston is a unique place that is perfect for millions of people. It is not "hip," though, no matter how many anecdotal suburban encounters cited. It never struck me as a great urban environment, either -- one that would inspire creativity or inventiveness. Where are the entrepreneurs? Where are the artists? Where are the innovators?

Should we be surprised that a region of 6 million people can come up with a few good restaurants and bars? I enjoyed Houston very much. By Texas standards, yes, it is pretty hip and urban. That is fine and embraceable. There are pieces of "hipness" on a world scale that Houston will probably always lack, though.
(1)Dense, walkable neighborhoods - this fosters street life and builds character -- admittedly, good and bad -- in neighborhoods. In charming districts, streets are alive with cafes, shops, residents and vendors. North Beach in San Francisco, The Village in NYC, etc.
(2)distinct identities in districts - reflected in the the people, retail and environment of the place (yes I'm aware of Houston's new Chinatown, but street signs in a foreign language and tilt-wall concrete buildings don't add up to a distinct district. What tourist would seek out old or new Chinatown in Houston? If they did, what would they find? Would they have a sense of the Asian heritage of the city?
(3) Climate and sights - Here is where Houston both surprises and disappoints dramatically. For brief periods in the Spring and Fall, Houston weather is great. If only there were better sights to see during those times. Chicago has the worst weather of any big city in the country, as far as I am concerned, yet it is worth braving to seek out the city's architecture, lakefront, neighborhoods and attractions. Houston could capture this kind of appeal, but it is a long way away from it.
(4) environs - Houston's siting is its biggest drawback. It is a smoggy, steamy, swampy mess with no easy escape. That is the opposite of hip. If the city were to clean up Galveston Bay and area lakes and work to improve the environment, it could make some headway. Galveston is a fun getaway once or twice per year, but fails to consistently satisfy. There isn't much else worth seeing within a 2-3 hours drive.
(5) entrepreneurialism and invention - Houston is a big city for big business. That bodes well for job seekers, which is great for owning homes and raising families. Big companies pay big salaries. But, there isn't much of a spirit of invention here. Where are the technology upstarts? Where are the small, unique businesses creating new categories altogether? San Francisco, Seattle, NY, Denver, LA and even Austin get this. The ideas trickle down into the culture, food, entertainment, and attitude of the people, too. There is nothing keeping Houston from discovering its inventive side. In fact, the influx of people and money it is experiencing should accelerate it.

I arrived in Houston during its lowest low-1987. The freeways were empty and buildings were vacant. I think that period scared the **** out of the city, because there has been a cautious, conservative vibe that has ruled here ever since. Many of the factors I mentioned above are insurmountable, but many aren't. It takes vision and the spirit of the people to make a great city. It doesn't exist in In-N-Out Burgers, tall buildings or bogus boasts about theater seats and city size. It exists in love for the city and what it could become and the feeling that even if you lost your job tomorrow, you wouldn't want to live -- in fact, you couldnt imagine living -- anywhere else.

Honestly, I didn't feel this spirit was missing in Houston until I started traveling and experienced it for real. Now that I live away from Houston, its shortcomings are more apparent, as are its bright spots. It's a great place to work and raise a family and sure, there are fun diversions offered. As a creative person in a creative industry with no kids, I just value different things in a city.

Last edited by dalparadise; 08-19-2012 at 10:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston