Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 10:25 AM

2,057 posts, read 3,870,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Um, obviously you DO care (I assume you're a former Austinite) because you are arguing so much against someone's opinion and experience you didn't like. I'm from Austin and there is a lot of truth in the "Austintude" (which you don't seem to understand the real definition of from above, either.)

I mean, it's not a general quality of the populace, but there are major undertones. You'll even see it in the Austin forum.... if there's any criticism of Austin, they'll jump and get very defensive. When articles like the thread topic came out, the local Austin writers and bloggers just couldn't stand that another city was getting more recognition than Austin. So they ripped into Houston and the other cities on the list. Come on man, a lot of people in Austin are always putting other cities down while at the same time trying to convince others that Austin is the end-all-be-all, and they are horrible at taking any criticism.... don't tell me this doesn't exist. It's very real, whether or not you acknowledge it. and most likely untrue.

As far as hipsters, they're here, but they are not the same kind as Portland hipsters. And it's not as much about them or their dress, but more an attitude or lifestyle. By the way, I don't have a problem with hipsters and don't see what the big deal with them is.
i take it that austin is the only city that reacts to criticism?

as for my lengthy posts, i'm just trying to understand how austin's cool laid back vibe is manufactured, or "trying". i lived there for 12 years and i just don't get that. but yes, austin isn't a perfect city and there is so much that is lacking about it. i don't deny that. but the very one thing i do deny is that it's "laid back cool vibe" is not real. that's a bit odd.

and i'm not saying that i don't like hipsters or that austin doesn't have hipsters. i'm saying that even hipsters don't dress like that photo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 10:31 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,529,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migol84 View Post
and i'm not saying that i don't like hipsters or that austin doesn't have hipsters. i'm saying that even hipsters don't dress like that photo.
Most hipsters in Portland wouldn't dress like that photo either. It think that's from a fashion page or something--that guy looks like many of the bearded transplants in Portland, but the clothes are a little too well groomed to be average. Most people don't wear ties in Portland. Even at the office where I work, everything is business casual(very casual). The times I've worn a tie to work or a job interview and people on the bus will look at you like you're an FBI agent or something. Even when people dress up--ties are rare. Compared to other cities that actually are real serious business centers---Portland seems casual to a fault.

Last edited by Deezus; 08-16-2012 at 10:47 AM..

Old 08-16-2012, 10:42 AM

6,610 posts, read 9,040,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Um, obviously you DO care (I assume you're a former Austinite) because you are arguing so much against someone's opinion and experience you didn't like. I'm from Austin and there is a lot of truth in the "Austintude" (which you don't seem to understand the real definition of from above, either.)

I mean, it's not a general quality of the populace, but there are major undertones. You'll even see it in the Austin forum.... if there's any criticism of Austin, they'll jump and get very defensive. When articles like the thread topic came out, the local Austin writers and bloggers just couldn't stand that another city was getting more recognition than Austin. So they ripped into Houston and the other cities on the list. Come on man, a lot of people in Austin are always putting other cities down while at the same time trying to convince others that Austin is the end-all-be-all, and they are horrible at taking any criticism.... don't tell me this doesn't exist. It's very real, whether or not you acknowledge it.

As far as hipsters, they're here, but they are not the same kind as Portland hipsters. And it's not as much about them or their dress, but more an attitude or lifestyle. By the way, I don't have a problem with hipsters and don't see what the big deal with them is.
I think you'll see a certain amount of this with online criticism of any city...as would probably be expected when people love their city. The problem IMO is not that people are too defensive but that others can be overly offensive with their outrageous or negative comments. Anyway, this phenomenon certainly is not unique to Austin and is present across the forum in practically every city section.

Old 08-16-2012, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Oh, yes they do. They care a lot about what others think... and if it's not positive, they will either try to turn it around or will become very defensive. You are demonstrating that, in fact, with your lengthy replies to my one little statement which is my genuine opinion and observation after having lived there for several years and still going back quite often because of friends/family there.
You can criticize Austin for all you want and as much as you like. I'm trying to understand what is it about Austin's cool that is "tried". I keep hearing this over and over. That's like one of those things you just can't prove right, or wrong... an unfalsifiable hypothesis. Its just hearsay, and darned anyone who agrees, darned anyone who disagrees.

And also darned anyone who talks about it, and darned anyone who doesn't wanna talk about it. This is getting annoying.

Quote:
I wasn't talking "in your face" as in dressing a certain way, especially with ties. Perhaps the use of the word "hipsterness" wasn't the best, but you are being far too rigid with your idea of it. The "trying too hard" I was referring to was the obnoxious, "I'm cool 'cause I live in the Austin bubble, the rest of the state is so beneath us, and damned if anyone disagrees with that" sort of attitude and similar group-think that's very prevalent there. Yes, rather like Austitude/Austintude... the real kind, and not your own definition.
no, i don't just mean the dressing aspects but "everything in your face". i used that as just one example. and i think what you mean is the "not caring" attitude. this is not "tried". people just don't care, so they tend to roll their eyes when people say, "i'm moving to dallas." or if someone says austin is boring, "rolleyes". if someone says austin's a redneck country "rolleyes". i mean people say so many things about austin that some of it is silly and most just get to the point where they just don't care. this is not "my own definition "i mean just that. i was in the austin scene and that's just how people are, they really don't care what others think of austin. i don't think you're really aware of this.

like my friend said to his relatives in san antonio who kept trash-talking austin, "you know what austin thinks about you? nothing." this is the attitude in austin. and the only reason why i'm responding is because i'm trying to see if i can change that a bit.

that's what i find particularly annoying... people just gotta hush hush and just let the criticism take place. they can't speak and try and at least understand what the other person is talking about. maybe both sides can benefit and we'll all live happily ever after.

Quote:
My opinion and personal experience over the years is a false statement? I'm being disingenuous? I said I was being honest, and I am. Sorry if you don't like it. Think about what you're saying. You are getting so defensive about this, which proves my point... you lived there a long time. Lots of people have agreed with me many times and shared my same opinion, so it's not just me. You are hung up on dress here, which I hadn't even mentioned. Oh, and I don't need to go read the Austin forum to get approval or not on my opinions, I lived there long enough to know it quite well.
when you say that houston's is more genuine and real than austin's.... you must be doing something. you're ideas are warped, or you're being disingenuous, or something. because that is far fetched to say. i've experienced more hostility with people in houston than in austin, but whatever. you said you didn't care what people thought about what you said so i thought i'd share my thoughts in a somewhat humorous way.

Old 08-16-2012, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Most hipsters in Portland wouldn't dress like that photo either. It think that's from a fashion page or something--that guy looks like many of the bearded transplants in Portland, but the clothes are a little too well groomed to be average. Most people don't wear ties in Portland. Even at the office where I work, everything is business casual(very casual). The times I've worn a tie to work or a job interview and people on the bus will look at you like you're an FBI agent or something. Even when people dress up--ties are rare. Compared to other cities that actually are real serious business centers---Portland seems casual to a fault.
Yeah and I was oddly surprised the guy on the photo was from Portland. But guess I wasn't thinking since it is after all a fashion page.

People here in San Francisco do in fact dress up like that though.

Old 08-16-2012, 10:59 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,963,804 times
pfffft I see weirdo's like that guy in the photo in just about every city I visit.

Even in small towns these wannabes pop up on the streets too.

All cities have weirdos

Old 08-16-2012, 11:00 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,529,744 times
Quote:
Yeah and I was oddly surprised the guy on the photo was from Portland. But guess I wasn't thinking since it is after all a fashion page.

People here in San Francisco do in fact dress up like that though.
Yes, San Francisco is a much more well-dressed town than Portland(or Seattle for that matter). Even SF still has a casual side, but if you go out people are going to be much more dressed up or wearing nicer clothes than much of the rest of the West Coast.

Old 08-16-2012, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
The thing about Austin is that at times it goes out of its way to prove how un-Texan it is when in reality, it's just as Texan if not more than Houston or Dallas. They do a good job of going out of their way too because they have the rest of the nation believing it. Still love Austin. But it's a Texas city just like the others.
Meh.... see I don't even see this either. I get annoyed that all Austin ever talks about are boots, and breakfast tacos, and bbq and tex-mex and being the heart "capital" of Texas and country music and blues music. So you're absolutely right that Austin is just as anywhere else in Texas.

I think its the people who come from outside who say that Austin is not very much like the rest of Texas. So the locals in Austin will say something to that same vein but they mean they're different from the rest of Texas more politically rather than culturally.

Me, personally, what I find different about Austin over the rest of Texas is the lifestyle. And that's not a bad thing to say, I think every city can say the same thing about itself. El Paso is also very different from the rest of Texas. There is something unique to every city that sets it apart from other Texas cities.

Old 08-16-2012, 11:04 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,963,804 times
Quote:

Me, personally, what I find different about Austin over the rest of Texas is the lifestyle. The lifestyle in Austin is very different from the rest of Texas. And that's not a bad thing to say, I think every city can say the same thing about itself. El Paso is also very different from the rest of Texas. There is something unique to every city that sets it apart from other Texas cities.
How is the lifestyle in Austin any different from the rest of Texas?

Old 08-16-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
How is the lifestyle in Austin any different from the rest of Texas?
That's not an easy task to describe. But if I can try... it's like a community there. Everybody knows everybody. It's laid back and care free... everyone's friendly and outgoing, smart and funny... it's very common to go out on a weeknight and meet your friends at a bar. We used to do this in Lovejoys. I think it's closed down already but all my friends would meet on Monday nights and a friend of ours who worked there would charge us once, and then give us free beers so long as we tipped him. If you lived close to downtown you were all the more a part of the scene... it almost felt urban-like. You don't need to get on a car, everything is just right down the corner. And anyone who wears ties gets made fun of...

What I also like about Austin is that its anti-establishment... and people there don't like corporations very much. Local businesses are supported so its very easy to start something unique and original. You also get lots of support... it's just the whole concept that Austin has that makes it different from the rest of Texas.

Last edited by migol84; 08-16-2012 at 11:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston