Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 09:50 AM

284 posts, read 641,653 times

Advertisements

out of all the major cities in US i think houston is less defined than others . people who arent from the state of texas really dont know what its about. i think this city needs more exposure.

Old 02-25-2014, 10:30 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,348,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mach234 View Post
out of all the major cities in US i think houston is less defined than others . people who arent from the state of texas really dont know what its about. i think this city needs more exposure.
Of course we do.

I believe that since Houston has been overlooked for so long that alot of Houstonians like to pretend that we prefer to go unrecognized, but I think that anyone who's truly proud of their city would be more than happy to share it with the world. I want exposure for Houston, but I want it done the right way.

Old 02-25-2014, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crono_clone View Post
Did you guys forget about Houston Beauty on the OWN Network?
Very few people were watching that.

Old 02-25-2014, 10:35 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,937,594 times
Quote:
im actually surprised that so many of you are against it . i hear a lot of great things about houston and the city's development . why wouldnt yall want to put your city on a national platform?? you dont think it would be a positive for the city?
Can you cite some positive aspects other cities have received from reality shows?

Old 02-25-2014, 10:36 AM

988 posts, read 1,204,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sketteroo View Post
You mean kinda like Duck Dynasty or Swamp People has enhanced Louisiana's image? These reality shows don't film/produce with the intent to make things look good, they edit to make things look bad.
What is wrong with Duck Dynasty or Swamp People?

Not enough effeminate men? Too much self reliance and self determination? Too much Jesus? Too much testicles?

Old 02-25-2014, 10:38 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,727,277 times
Houston has a great deal of cultural diversity--more than any other place I've been except maybe London. Also, Houston seems in its economic policies to be a bit more willing than most places to exploit that diversity for economic gain. Because of these two characteristics, I see Houston as a paragon of Global Capitalism. That's what we'll eventually be known for. Vince Gilligan already knows this, brilliantly plotting Houston as the hometown of drug-dealing global capitalist Lydia Rodarte-Quayle in Breaking Bad. She's the most accurate depiction of Houston I've seen yet.

Old 02-25-2014, 10:40 AM

6,292 posts, read 7,507,052 times
I think Houston is weary of letting others "define" this city. It may be better to let sleeping dogs lay and wait for a better entry point. It may be better for Houston to develop its own secular media image , Houston has produced a lot of talent so I don't think that is out of the question.

Old 02-25-2014, 10:43 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,760,762 times
Quote:
im actually surprised that so many of you are against it . i hear a lot of great things about houston and the city's development . why wouldnt yall want to put your city on a national platform?? you dont think it would be a positive for the city?
No, trust me you DONT want it. All that will happen is that Hollywood will protray Houston as a backward, cowboy, redneck town because thats what they like to do to non-Austin Texas cities. Look at the Dallas Buyers Club and the TV show Dallas. Dallas isnt even remotely like those show and yet, because of them, now everyone outside of Texas thinks Dallas is like that.

I ask Houstonians, do you really want that? All that Hollywood will do is play to the stereotypes.

Old 02-25-2014, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
I think Houston is weary of letting others "define" this city. It may be better to let sleeping dogs lay and wait for a better entry point. It may be better for Houston to develop its own secular media image , Houston has produced a lot of talent so I don't think that is out of the question.
At this point it's just a matter of "when".

Old 02-25-2014, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
No, trust me you DONT want it. All that will happen is that Hollywood will protray Houston as a backward, cowboy, redneck town because thats what they like to do to non-Austin Texas cities. Look at the Dallas Buyers Club and the TV show Dallas. Dallas isnt even remotely like those show and yet, because of them, now everyone outside of Texas thinks Dallas is like that.

I ask Houstonians, do you really want that? All that Hollywood will do is play to the stereotypes.
What it's going to take is a genuine Houstonian who has that craft and enough pull in Hollywood to make that happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston