Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 02:35 PM

998 posts, read 1,326,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach234 View Post
im actually surprised that so many of you are against it . i hear a lot of great things about houston and the city's development . why wouldnt yall want to put your city on a national platform?? you dont think it would be a positive for the city?

They are only against it because Houston has been overshadowed for so long by other cities (even in its own state). Its kind of like a defense mechanism now. Its almost laughable that one of the excuses is that Houston supposedly has so much more "substance". As if NYC, LA , SF, NOLA, Miami and other cities that are profiled on TV don't have substance. I see nothing wrong with having television or movies set in houston. I'm not a fan of reality tv though.

Old 02-25-2014, 02:40 PM

998 posts, read 1,326,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
I think Houston is weary of letting others "define" this city. It may be better to let sleeping dogs lay and wait for a better entry point. It may be better for Houston to develop its own secular media image , Houston has produced a lot of talent so I don't think that is out of the question.
That ship has sailed. The reality is that Houston HAS been defined by others nationally and a great deal of it is negative. The city hasnt done enough to dispel much of it.

Old 02-25-2014, 02:59 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,507,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo2000 View Post
That ship has sailed. The reality is that Houston HAS been defined by others nationally and a great deal of it is negative. The city hasnt done enough to dispel much of it.
So then Houston is supposed to ask those same definers to somehow redefine Houston is a more positive manner? The OP's question is why hasn't Houston gotten any notoriety in the national media? The answers are,

1) it has gotten notoriety more than people think.

2) If Houston is getting negative notoriety why ask for more.

3) If Houston is getting ignored it may be better to let sleeping dogs lay and wait for a better entry point

4) Yes Houston gets a lot of negative media and opinions, yet it keeps growing and is becoming more and more intertwined in the national fabric. At some point it can't be ignored and beating it up will not make sense !

Old 02-25-2014, 03:46 PM

213 posts, read 388,879 times
Quote:
WHATS TAKING SOO LONG???!!

i know people in this city have $$$$$

i wanna see how houstonians enjoy their city

im curious to know what the social scene is like in houston

i wanna know whos the "elite" of the houston area

wouldnt you all enjoy a "real housewives of Katy"

or do you think houston is too laid back of a city, which is why shows haven't taken off here yet?

There is a lot of money in Houston, and the 1% still know how to party. Before there was BRAVO, TLC, A&E, and others, the true social scene was and still is recorded in the social columns from Houston to Paris. Lynn Wyatt and others really brought Houston to the limelight in the real social circuit. Reality T.V. has somewhat skewed the term socialite and what it actually defines. There are an array of social mags for the taking at most any starbucks or store in Uptown River Oaks Area.

Back in the social heyday of the late 70s and the 80s there were only a few select socialites worthy of celeb-status. Houston's Lynn Wyatt was a breathe of fresh air to international society and the press took note. Whether on the cover of Town & Country, and W, or in the pages of Vogue, Harpers Bazaar and the NYTs she always projected a glossy, but attractive and classy image of Houston and Texas and even America. She is always introduced as "Houston Socialite" "Texas Socialite" "Texan Super-socialite" among others. Becca Cason Thrash is another big social player. These two or best friends with the big names designers and influence fashion and philanthropy here and abroad.

Former Houston socialite and heiress turned Manhattan arts patron Allison Sarofim still plays up her Houston roots while hosting the most-coveted Halloween Party invitation of the year.

Houston would have more than enough women and wealthy families for any reality show. More than likely it would be geared towards oil money, wealthy hoods, possible ranches as second homes and there would be a play on the international influence of Houston. There are currently a few scouts seeking top-earning luxury real estate agents in Dallas and Houston. The problem is that most realtors in Texas wouldn't want to put themselves or their clients through any BRAVO style drama.

Old 02-25-2014, 03:51 PM

213 posts, read 388,879 times
[quote=Jack Lance;33630849]The Dallas buyers Club is up for all kinds of Academy awards you know. I have not seen the movie but it seems to be a good thing at this point. I watched the TV show Dallas last night and it seems to be a total rehash of the 80's show with less interesting younger characters. I laughed when the young John Ross proclaimed that Ewing oil was going to be bigger than Exxon and BP, then later in the show decided by himself to drill on South Fork OMG but Bobby said it best when he said, that John Ross isn't half the man his daddy was.. This show isn't half the show the former was either.

but by and large Dallas has done well in the media. If you can't draw interest in fact, do it in fiction I guess.

The best part of last night's Dallas was John Ross's statement of having to go to Houston to get the biggest diamond for his fiance's wedding ring.

Old 02-25-2014, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PostOak5115 View Post
There is a lot of money in Houston, and the 1% still know how to party. Before there was BRAVO, TLC, A&E, and others, the true social scene was and still is recorded in the social columns from Houston to Paris. Lynn Wyatt and others really brought Houston to the limelight in the real social circuit. Reality T.V. has somewhat skewed the term socialite and what it actually defines. There are an array of social mags for the taking at most any starbucks or store in Uptown River Oaks Area.

Back in the social heyday of the late 70s and the 80s there were only a few select socialites worthy of celeb-status. Houston's Lynn Wyatt was a breathe of fresh air to international society and the press took note. Whether on the cover of Town & Country, and W, or in the pages of Vogue, Harpers Bazaar and the NYTs she always projected a glossy, but attractive and classy image of Houston and Texas and even America. She is always introduced as "Houston Socialite" "Texas Socialite" "Texan Super-socialite" among others. Becca Cason Thrash is another big social player. These two or best friends with the big names designers and influence fashion and philanthropy here and abroad.

Former Houston socialite and heiress turned Manhattan arts patron Allison Sarofim still plays up her Houston roots while hosting the most-coveted Halloween Party invitation of the year.

Houston would have more than enough women and wealthy families for any reality show. More than likely it would be geared towards oil money, wealthy hoods, possible ranches as second homes and there would be a play on the international influence of Houston. There are currently a few scouts seeking top-earning luxury real estate agents in Dallas and Houston. The problem is that most realtors in Texas wouldn't want to put themselves or their clients through any BRAVO style drama.
Don't forget Joanne Herring, of Charlie Wilson's War fame. I thought that was a great little movie with A list cast.

Quote:
The best part of last night's Dallas was John Ross's statement of having to go to Houston to get the biggest diamond for his fiance's wedding ring.
lol, you mean John Ross couldn't find a big enough diamond in Dallas with all that luxury shopping.. I missed the first 20 minutes...so I didn't hear that.

Old 02-25-2014, 04:50 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,348,192 times
Quote:

A Real Housewives of Houston wouldn't bother me at all. The Atlanta one is hilarious.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:03 PM

284 posts, read 641,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
So then Houston is supposed to ask those same definers to somehow redefine Houston is a more positive manner? The OP's question is why hasn't Houston gotten any notoriety in the national media? The answers are,

1) it has gotten notoriety more than people think.

2) If Houston is getting negative notoriety why ask for more.

3) If Houston is getting ignored it may be better to let sleeping dogs lay and wait for a better entry point

4) Yes Houston gets a lot of negative media and opinions, yet it keeps growing and is becoming more and more intertwined in the national fabric. At some point it can't be ignored and beating it up will not make sense !
such as what??!! besides the saying "houston, we have a problem."

Old 02-25-2014, 10:03 PM

Quote:
such as what??!! besides the saying "houston, we have a problem."
What notoriety is it that you think Houston should be getting ?

List of films set in Houston - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia That's a list of about 80 movies

Category:Television shows set in Houston, Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia the list of TV shows set in Houston is considerably shorter at 14

But I don't think either of these list is all inclusive.

That's probably more notoriety than most people think

Old 02-26-2014, 02:37 AM

437 posts, read 629,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3781 View Post
What is wrong with Duck Dynasty or Swamp People?

Not enough effeminate men? Too much self reliance and self determination? Too much Jesus? Too much testicles?
LOL you must be a fan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston