Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 01:16 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,006,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OducksFTW! View Post
Houston's in the background and rarely on the psyche of the American public. It doesn't have the exposure that cities that are much smaller do(Miami, SF, NOLA, DC, Atlanta, Boston, Austin etc.) because there isn't really anything extreme or unique about Houston, and most of all there isn't a huge tourist type attraction.

Houston is a great place to make money and raise a family. It has all the amenities that other cities have. Just nothing that make people want to take a one off vacation and a crazy getaway.

And seeing as Oil and Gas isn't a glamorous, sexy way to make money Houston doesn't get the positive image that many would like. How many O&G companies put national ads out? They know what they do is under constant scrutiny and whenever an O&G company is in the news, its almost always for something negative. But, Houstonians know that it is a necessary and vital part of not only the economy of this region but on a national and international level, but we're talking glamour and PR, those realms simply dont care for that.

Also considering that our sports team are downright astounding at underachieving, it's no surprise that Houston isn't in the limelight too often. And with the downsizing of NASA we fade even further into the background as we grow richer and more populous.

PS: For those that are finding lists of the limited number of TV shows or Movies that were filmed here, please know that your actually feeding into the idea that Houston is not in the limelight. Compare that to say Chicago, or Boston, or Miami. Anyone can come up with a list of almost anything to make a point.
Houston invented the Art Car Parade other cities around the World have copied.

Houston also invented Chopped & Screwed Music the entertainment industry is just now discovering 20 years later. Its in every Pop song on the radio now.

Houston put Man on the Moon.

No zoning is what makes Houston truly unique & the city should capitalize on the weird factor of it IMO. Austin has nothing on Houston in that regard. I know this has been done with the beer can house & what not, but lets broaden the picture just a little.

Old 02-27-2014, 01:27 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Don't forget on The Big Band Theory that Sheldon came to hate Christmas due to seeing Santa at Baybrook mall.

Old 02-27-2014, 03:15 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,348,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
I've never seen a Cheaters filmed in Houston. Its most always filmed in Dallas. I did see NYC a couple of times though.
I've seen quite a few Cheaters episodes that were shot in Houston. This was years ago, though.

Old 02-27-2014, 03:44 PM

288 posts, read 434,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
At the end of the day, we really aren't that different than Atlanta, though. The mass population of that city isn't any more interesting than Houston, nor do the people live their lives any differently.

Like I said before, there's no real reason that Houston can't become a pop culture city. We have the culture, we have the diversity, we have the interesting neighborhoods, and, yes, there's even enough glamour and fashion here to support a vapid Bravo reality series.
Putting the reality shows stuff aside, Atlanta still very much has more of a niche then we do. Its still seen as the media and film capital of the South. NYC to the East, LA to the West, Chicago in the MidWest, and then Atlanta.

I see the comparisons, but we're still very different than the ATL. It is rich in history, and what little history this city had before becoming the Energy Capital of the world, has been erased for condos and lofts, which sometimes even attempt to make it look historic. Atlanta is just another one of those old cities, with a lot of allure. That sort of thing attracts a certain type of crowd. Houston has some of that, but most of them go to Austin or even Dallas. Atlanta is the only real city in that state, and maybe only Miami in the region can compete for obvious reasons.

I accept Houston for what it is, and despite having the potential, I dont think we'll be on par with Atlanta in that regard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
No zoning is what makes Houston truly unique & the city should capitalize on the weird factor of it IMO. Austin has nothing on Houston in that regard. I know this has been done with the beer can house & what not, but lets broaden the picture just a little.
What is it about no Zoning that makes us unique? a warehouse in the middle of a nighborhood? An adult store next to a restaurant?

Lack of zoning is one of the biggest complaints Ive had about the city, and Im born and raised here. We can try and hype our accolades, but we traded in our history a long time ago, to make way for "progress".

Old 02-27-2014, 03:46 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,102,097 times
houston, i mean harris county is always on the first 48, does that count?

Old 02-27-2014, 04:24 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,348,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scientific View Post
Putting the reality shows stuff aside, Atlanta still very much has more of a niche then we do. Its still seen as the media and film capital of the South. NYC to the East, LA to the West, Chicago in the MidWest, and then Atlanta.

I see the comparisons, but we're still very different than the ATL. It is rich in history, and what little history this city had before becoming the Energy Capital of the world, has been erased for condos and lofts, which sometimes even attempt to make it look historic. Atlanta is just another one of those old cities, with a lot of allure. That sort of thing attracts a certain type of crowd. Houston has some of that, but most of them go to Austin or even Dallas. Atlanta is the only real city in that state, and maybe only Miami in the region can compete for obvious reasons.

I accept Houston for what it is, and despite having the potential, I dont think we'll be on par with Atlanta in that regard.
Atlanta is only a few years older than Houston, and while they have preserved more of their history, that's not why they've become the media hub that they are. Ted Turner is pretty much the reason for that. Luck of the draw.

Most of the films and television shows you see being set in Atlanta could easily be set in any random eastern city. More often than not, the city is used as nothing more than a prop. You're not getting any depth to what the town is really about, like you would in a film or series in New York.

Having lived in both cities, I maintain that Houston isn't any less interesting than Atlanta is. Not at all. We don't need to aim for what they have, but making this city an important pop culture hub is absolutely possible, in my opinion.

Old 02-27-2014, 05:49 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,986,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Atlanta is only a few years older than Houston, and while they have preserved more of their history, that's not why they've become the media hub that they are. Ted Turner is pretty much the reason for that. Luck of the draw.

Most of the films and television shows you see being set in Atlanta could easily be set in any random eastern city. More often than not, the city is used as nothing more than a prop. You're not getting any depth to what the town is really about, like you would in a film or series in New York.

Having lived in both cities, I maintain that Houston isn't any less interesting than Atlanta is. Not at all. We don't need to aim for what they have, but making this city an important pop culture hub is absolutely possible, in my opinion.
There is that movie call "gone with the wind".

Plus they did host an Olympics and most people associate ATL as the Capital of the South.

Atlanta also does have a longer history than Houston. I don't think if you look up any history maps in 1800s u will see Houston, but you will always see Atlanta there.

We have the jobs and the oil and very soon 3rd largest city in USA. Let them have the fame. Be happy with that.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:13 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,926,590 times
Lots of straw man arguments going around in this thread, very ridiculous ones as a matter of fact (Austin and Dallas overshadowing Houston, thats a load of BS).

I must say that Nairobi is pretty much spot on; Houston already has the assets, from the size, to the culture, to the diversity, and even the history, to showcase itself to the media as a unique and interesting city. Its just up to the city to take charge and establish a scene.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:19 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,916,422 times
... I've seen Houston on tv MILLIONS of times.

You have Animal Cops: Housotn, you've hosted the Super Bowl, NBA All-Star Game, MLB All-Star game, and Final Four all within the last decade.

Sure places like NYC, L.A., Chicago, Boston, Dallas, Miami, San Fran, Seattle, Vegas and New Orleans (MAYBE Austin) get more tv time, but you get more tv time than the rest of the country for sure.

Old 02-27-2014, 09:45 PM

686 posts, read 1,168,459 times
Not Austin, but Dallas clearly overshadows Houston. Even San Antonio to an extent do to tourism. Let's not be in Denial. Iv'e met plenty of people around the Nation that have been to Dallas and not Houston. When Texas is mentioned Dallas is the first name that comes to mind. Houston needs to do something to change that. And this is coming from a native Houstonian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston