Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 11:30 PM

676 posts, read 931,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Do you mean Fondren? I think there is a synagogue over there that's why so see so many jewish people. I know a lot of jewish people used to live in that area, I don't know about now. I don't know why anybody in there right mind would want to live in that area, I could be wrong though.
Most of the neighborhoods in the Fondren SW area are still quite nice and peaceful. A lot of them are actually seeing major increases in value and the older folks are starting to move out and young educated families are starting to move in. The problems are really only around certain apartment complexes and strip centers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2015, 07:28 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,583,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird2345 View Post
Hello -

My family is contemplating a move to Houston... we are not overly religious, but would like our kids to be in schools where there are other Jewish kids, etc.

We are not from the area, so we have no clue...any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks-
Posters call out white people or black people who want to live among their own kind, so in all fairness, I have to ask...isn't it a bit prejudicial to want to live in a neighborhood that's Jewish because you're Jewish? If it's just about the schools, shouldn't that have been your question, instead? Where are good Jewish schools?

The country is pretty diverse, now. I'm perplexed by people who increasingly want to live in Jewish areas or white areas or asian areas, etc. That's not the way the real world is. Not meaning to offend. I really want to know if there's a difference in wanting to live in a Jewish neighborhood vs a white person wanting to live in a neighborhood with only whites.

Old 04-12-2015, 08:00 AM

14 posts, read 27,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Posters call out white people or black people who want to live among their own kind, so in all fairness, I have to ask...isn't it a bit prejudicial to want to live in a neighborhood that's Jewish because you're Jewish? If it's just about the schools, shouldn't that have been your question, instead? Where are good Jewish schools?

The country is pretty diverse, now. I'm perplexed by people who increasingly want to live in Jewish areas or white areas or asian areas, etc. That's not the way the real world is. Not meaning to offend. I really want to know if there's a difference in wanting to live in a Jewish neighborhood vs a white person wanting to live in a neighborhood with only whites.

Really? How is it prejudicial? Your comment is a bit sophomoric... on so many levels. Who cares where someone wants to live - why does it have to devolve to a question of race or discrimination, stipulating Judaism is a religion, not a race. This is not 1940s Germany. It's an obvious question with an obvious reason and one that has nothing to do with race, discrimination, prejudice, or anything in between. Suggesting otherwise is just odd.

Kind of annoying. But thanks for adding value to the dialogue. Super helpful.

Old 04-12-2015, 08:28 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,232,679 times
Quote:

I'm going to answer assuming you asked this with no malice (although it sure sounds like it).

People who belong to a minority group get a certain comfort in having a few others around them of a like minority. If I was black, I don't know that I would live in an all black neighborhood, but neither would I want to live in an all white neighborhood. I'd try to find one that had a mix. Change black to Jew or Muslim or gay or Chinese or whatever, and you will get my message.

There are some people or families (of a minority representation) that don't think twice about this, and love to live where they want, no regard to anything. And more power to them, I admire their strength. But many more prefer to have some diversity around them, that diversity having some of whatever their minority is (race, religion, sexual orientation, etc).

It's just human nature.

Old 04-12-2015, 10:57 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,984,276 times
Quote:

Who are you to tell people where they should live?

Typical liberals thinking they should dictate what is best for other people.

People like your probably have 1 black neighbor and think you are living in a diversified neighborhood. Eat lunch with one Asian guy from work and you think you understand other people's cultures.

Yeah I know all about Hispanics, I go eat at Taco Bell.

Old 04-12-2015, 11:51 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:

Yes, there is a difference. Jews are a minority in most places, so being able to find a least some other Jews is helpful for their kids. Judaism is a culture and a religion. Living where people don't have a clue and proselytize you to become Christian can be a problem. Most Jews don't care if there are other people living in the neighborhood, they just want at least some Jewish people around them.

Whites are a majority in this country, so they are unlikely to have trouble finding other white people for their children to hang out with.

My kids grew up in Evanston, IL. Our schools had the Jewish holidays off. The kids *and* the teachers were very diverse. Of course, we also had the example of Skokie where many holocaust survivors lived. That makes for a more understanding environment for both Jews and non-Jews, imo.

Old 04-12-2015, 12:05 PM

399 posts, read 641,817 times
What is the big deal... I see nothing wrong with wanting to live in an area with folks who share the same beliefs, culture and religion. It does not mean the entire area is exclusively that way just that many people are.

Old 04-12-2015, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird2345 View Post
Really? How is it prejudicial? Your comment is a bit sophomoric... on so many levels. Who cares where someone wants to live - why does it have to devolve to a question of race or discrimination, stipulating Judaism is a religion, not a race. This is not 1940s Germany. It's an obvious question with an obvious reason and one that has nothing to do with race, discrimination, prejudice, or anything in between. Suggesting otherwise is just odd.

Kind of annoying. But thanks for adding value to the dialogue. Super helpful.

Because there is another recent post where a white conservative man posted asking where the safe white neighborhoods are, and he was lambasted.

So when I saw this post....a Jewish person asking where the young Jewish neighborhoods are....it struck me as being the same thing.

Religion = race in that they are both protected in the statutes.

I wasn't offering an opinion. I was asking....what's the difference? They seem to be the same thing...wanting to live just with your "own kind."

Old 04-12-2015, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
Judaism is a religion, not an ethnicity or race. There are Jews of every color.
Religion is a protected category under the non-discrimination statutes, along with race, gender, etc.

And we all know that Jewish people, as well as some other religions, strongly identify with their religion as their "kind," not surprisingly, based on their history in the world of being persecuted for their religion. Also, people of the Jewish faith have their origins in the Hebrew (semitic) race.

Old 04-12-2015, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Yes, there is a difference. Jews are a minority in most places, so being able to find a least some other Jews is helpful for their kids. Judaism is a culture and a religion. Living where people don't have a clue and proselytize you to become Christian can be a problem. Most Jews don't care if there are other people living in the neighborhood, they just want at least some Jewish people around them.

Whites are a majority in this country, so they are unlikely to have trouble finding other white people for their children to hang out with.

My kids grew up in Evanston, IL. Our schools had the Jewish holidays off. The kids *and* the teachers were very diverse. Of course, we also had the example of Skokie where many holocaust survivors lived. That makes for a more understanding environment for both Jews and non-Jews, imo.
Whites are a minority in the city of Houston. It would be difficult to find entire neighborhoods made up of only white people, I think, though it's possible.

I get that Jews are a minority, though, in the sense that they are in the city of Houston. I'm not sure if that makes a difference. It's okay to look for Jewish neighborhoods, but not okay to look for white neighborhoods, because Jews are more of a minority than whites are in Houston.

I was just asking because of another post where a guy was wanting recs on safe, white, conservative neighborhoods where people don't speak other languages, their kids wouldn't have to go to "hispanic" schools, etc. That guy was lambasted, and rightly so. So when I saw this post, I thought, wait a minute, this is exactly the same thing, isn't it? But instead of being lambasted, this poster was given recommendations. The poster didn't ask where the good Jewish schools were. She asked where young Jewish couples live.

Because the two posts were posted so close together in time, it just stuck out like a sore thumb, the difference in the reactions to the two posts that were very similar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston