Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2021, 12:15 PM

10,007 posts, read 6,700,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
Miami is also seen as "world class" by a lot of the world, especially in South America, and that counts for something.
Also Europe, particularly Italy, Spain, Portugal and Even France to a degree. The more dominant Anglo cultures of England and Germany however don’t see Miami in the same light
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2021, 12:27 PM

1,762 posts, read 1,051,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Also Europe, particularly Italy, Spain, Portugal and Even France to a degree. The more dominant Anglo cultures of England and Germany however don’t see Miami in the same light
Maybe even in the U.S.? I've never been to Miami and don't really have a desire to go there. Perhaps my perception is skewed by being a resident of the U.S.?

Old 11-16-2021, 12:37 PM

20,529 posts, read 33,632,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
While so much about the term "world class" is subjective, I also am not sure what I see about SF and LA that people claim elevates them to NYC / London / Tokyo level. LA has shopping (I guess) and the entertainment industry, which is admittedly influential, but what else there is so top-tier that it's better than Houston / DFW / Atlanta / Chicago / Seattle / Boston / DC etc.? And SF is only influential / truly top tier in biotech and, maybe more importantly, eco-consciousness / social justice virtue signaling (which is also admittedly highly influential). Its tech industry is just a subsidiary / beneficiary of innovation that comes from Silicon Valley down the Peninsula. Outside of intentionally hyper-cutting edge expensive restaurants, affordable and relevant to very very few, what else is it influencing or setting the standard for? It's known for having underwhelming and often dysfunctional public transit despite being a city that really needs it. Its reputation seems to live off the legacy of the 1960s counterculture and its role as the primary gay capital of the planet in the 1970s/80s.

I will give LA the distinction of world-class foreign import infrastructure, equaled by few others if any (Rotterdam?), despite it being overwhelmed at the moment.

Sure both LA and SF are popular tourist destinations, but so are Orlando and Venice. Maybe if you consider them as bigger metros - especially combining SF with the whole Bay Area including SV - they're more elevated above the secondary U.S. tier in terms of "world-class"-ness.
I think you could place world class cities even in tiers. The elite tier 1 cities are NYC, London, Paris, Tokyo.

The next tier is where you will find SF, LA, Rio, Moscow, Buenos Aires, Hong Kong, Sydney, Shanghai and the likes.

I think SF has a superior dining and foodie scene then most of its peers at the least. A great economy as you mentioned, very urban, improving public transit but can be better, diversity, architecture, and high education (Cal and Stanford). LA has pretty much the same amenities plus better shopping, good foodie scene, underrated urbanity, improving public transit. I think they outperform the sunbelt cities, DC, and Boston. I think Chicago is on par with SF and LA.

Old 11-16-2021, 12:49 PM

1,952 posts, read 835,745 times
SF has feces and needles in the street.

....world class! LOL

Old 11-16-2021, 01:15 PM

390 posts, read 391,759 times
It's really that whole area around SF. It attracts people from all over the world and the importance of technology and higher education in that area rules the world. Along with iconic landmarks which are world known and everything else yall listed

Old 11-16-2021, 01:45 PM

5,646 posts, read 4,983,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeohnny View Post
It's really that whole area around SF. It attracts people from all over the world and the importance of technology and higher education in that area rules the world. Along with iconic landmarks which are world known and everything else yall listed
I agree that viewing the Bay Area as a whole, vs. SF by itself, makes a huge difference. Same with DFW vs. Dallas and Atlanta metro vs. City of Atlanta.

Old 11-16-2021, 03:59 PM

15,594 posts, read 7,634,633 times
Status as a "world class city" has never been one of my criteria for judging a destination. I can honestly say it just doesn't matter. I've lived in London, and have spent reasonable amounts of time in Paris, Mexico City, Sydney, Bangkok, Cairo, etc. I never considered whether they were world class, as I think it's pretty irrelevant.

Old 11-17-2021, 10:29 AM

6,491 posts, read 4,103,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I think you could place world class cities even in tiers. The elite tier 1 cities are NYC, London, Paris, Tokyo.

The next tier is where you will find SF, LA, Rio, Moscow, Buenos Aires, Hong Kong, Sydney, Shanghai and the likes.

I think SF has a superior dining and foodie scene then most of its peers at the least. A great economy as you mentioned, very urban, improving public transit but can be better, diversity, architecture, and high education (Cal and Stanford). LA has pretty much the same amenities plus better shopping, good foodie scene, underrated urbanity, improving public transit. I think they outperform the sunbelt cities, DC, and Boston. I think Chicago is on par with SF and LA.
I honestly don't think you can call SF, especially the greater Bay Area, very urban in a Worldwide context. It's arguably only more urban than Sydney on this list, and it's blown out of the water by many of the other cities on this list.

Old 11-17-2021, 02:04 PM

5,646 posts, read 4,983,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
I honestly don't think you can call SF, especially the greater Bay Area, very urban in a Worldwide context. It's arguably only more urban than Sydney on this list, and it's blown out of the water by many of the other cities on this list.
Outside of SF / Berkeley / Oakland and the historic downtown areas (mostly pretty small except San Jose) of the remaining cities, it's basically auto-oriented sprawl, and much of it the ugly 1950s-60s version no less.

Old 11-17-2021, 02:38 PM

20,529 posts, read 33,632,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
To be fair, that’s pretty much every city in America not named NYC and even good parts of NYC metro is auto oriented sprawl. Chicagoland outside Chicago, Evanston, and a couple other quaint small downtowns is auto oriented sprawl. Same with DC, Boston, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston