Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2021, 05:26 PM

10,038 posts, read 6,737,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
Using your own source it appears that Houston's Asian diversity is pretty unremarkable.
The Filipino population according to post 394 is not in the top 10. Neither is Korean. Outside of Vietnamese Houston does not really crack the top 10, and that's counting South Asian.
Even if Houston is number 3 in the nation in Asian diversity the gap between it and number 2 is pretty large.
1. It looks like you need to learn how to count. At this point I think you’re just saying things to argue. Taiwanese is too 5. You can’t be too 5 without being too 10. And Filipino is top 10. Chinese is top 5 as well.

2. I already addressed the bolded. If you set the bar to to LA, SF and NYC, then this is the only way Houston’s Asian diversity is if you set the bar ridiculously high to match the NYC, SF, and LA tier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2021, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
I'm not sure how much diversity counts toward world-class-ness if Tokyo is considered world-class (and most folks feel it is).

Let's just say if it is part of one's criteria, Houston generally isn't lacking, other than maybe some European countries and certain parts of Africa.

Just drive down Westheimer from Gessner to West Oaks Mall - it truly feels global (if sometimes ratty, but then hey...NYC, right?).
There’s reasons NYC is a bit above Tokyo and diversity is one them

Old 11-18-2021, 06:29 PM

2,898 posts, read 2,211,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
1. It looks like you need to learn how to count. At this point I think you’re just saying things to argue. Taiwanese is too 5. You can’t be too 5 without being too 10. And Filipino is top 10. Chinese is top 5 as well.

2. I already addressed the bolded. If you set the bar to to LA, SF and NYC, then this is the only way Houston’s Asian diversity is if you set the bar ridiculously high to match the NYC, SF, and LA tier.
Looks like you need to learn how to read. The post that you and Above seems to think is the gold standard, and the one I was referring to, does not show Houston on the list of Taiwanese numbers, and the Filipino numbers listed there clearly has Houston out of the top 10.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/city...2019-a-40.html

Philippines
Las Vegas - 394.75
San Francisco - 342.22
San Jose - 329.68
San Diego - 294.22
Los Angeles - 236.41
Sacramento - 196.66
Seattle - 145.10
Virginia Beach - 139.16
Jacksonville - 117.60
Chicago - 89.62
New York City - 77.82
Washington - 75.21
Houston - 68.70
Portland - 60.08
Phoenix - 53.94

China (mainland)
San Francisco - 556.86
San Jose - 546.32
New York City - 240.88
Boston - 221.99
Seattle - 216.97
Los Angeles - 201.41
Washington - 121.05
Sacramento - 115.62
Philadelphia - 88.06
San Diego - 87.45
Las Vegas - 85.36
Portland - 83.45
Chicago - 81.18
Houston - 79.17
Columbus - 65.38
Austin - 61.12
Dallas - 55.75
Baltimore 50.37

If you think those numbers are wrong then take it up with Above.

The rest of my post pretty much says what you're saying, but somehow you think it is a ridiculous unfair to compare the top 4 city in the nation to other top cities in the US. At this point I'm not even sure what you're arguing. The number clearly says Houston's Asian diversity is at best a distant third from New York or California. If it beats Dallas, Atlanta or other also rans then it's not by a great margin. What any of this has to do with being 'world class' I'll let others get into.

Old 11-18-2021, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Looks like you need to learn how to read. The post that you and Above seems to think is the gold standard, and the one I was referring to, does not show Houston on the list of Taiwanese numbers, and the Filipino numbers listed there clearly has Houston out of the top 10.

Philippines
Las Vegas - 394.75
San Francisco - 342.22
San Jose - 329.68
San Diego - 294.22
Los Angeles - 236.41
Sacramento - 196.66
Seattle - 145.10
Virginia Beach - 139.16
Jacksonville - 117.60
Chicago - 89.62
New York City - 77.82
Washington - 75.21
Houston - 68.70
Portland - 60.08
Phoenix - 53.94

China (mainland)
San Francisco - 556.86
San Jose - 546.32
New York City - 240.88
Boston - 221.99
Seattle - 216.97
Los Angeles - 201.41
Washington - 121.05
Sacramento - 115.62
Philadelphia - 88.06
San Diego - 87.45
Las Vegas - 85.36
Portland - 83.45
Chicago - 81.18
Houston - 79.17
Columbus - 65.38
Austin - 61.12
Dallas - 55.75
Baltimore 50.37

The rest of my post pretty much says what you're saying, but somehow you think it is a ridiculous unfair to compare the top 4 city in the nation to other top cities in the US. At this point I'm not even sure what you're arguing. The number clearly says Houston's Asian diversity is at best a distant third from New York or California. If it beats Dallas, Atlanta or other also rans then it's not by a great margin. What any of this has to do with being 'world class' I'll let others get into.
I’ll point the error in your analysis even though you’re obviously too proud to be wrong and will try to stir it up again. These are per capita. For example. Jacksonville has a higher % of Filipinos than Houston but it’s much smaller of a city so Houston still has a lot more overall. Again, using population, Houston is top 10 for atleast Chinese, Vietnamese, Taiwanese and Filipinos. I could go look at the rest to see where else but I’m not.

For the “big difference” after NY and California, you’re correct. We have both mentioned this already. You said Houston is only top 10 in anything outside of Vietnamese. You were wrong. You said the Taiwanese community was tiny here. Relatively speaking, you were wrong. You said Houston’s Asian diversity was barely average. And while this is subjective, if you set the bar to NY/Cali standards as above average, then so be it. But you said “not top 10” which was wrong. Among metro areas 5M+, Houston is way above average.

Now you’ll try to find another way to prove your point. It once again won’t work. At this point it’s obvious you’re just doing this out of pride.

Old 11-18-2021, 07:36 PM
Status: "Worship the Earth, Worship Love, not Imaginary Gods" (set 28 days ago)

8,479 posts, read 5,617,075 times
Quote:

Philippines
Las Vegas - 394.75
San Francisco - 342.22
San Jose - 329.68
San Diego - 294.22
Los Angeles - 236.41
Sacramento - 196.66
Seattle - 145.10
Virginia Beach - 139.16
Jacksonville - 117.60
Chicago - 89.62
New York City - 77.82
Washington - 75.21
Houston - 68.70
Portland - 60.08
Phoenix - 53.94

China (mainland)
San Francisco - 556.86
San Jose - 546.32
New York City - 240.88
Boston - 221.99
Seattle - 216.97
Los Angeles - 201.41
Washington - 121.05
Sacramento - 115.62
Philadelphia - 88.06
San Diego - 87.45
Las Vegas - 85.36
Portland - 83.45
Chicago - 81.18
Houston - 79.17
Columbus - 65.38
Austin - 61.12
Dallas - 55.75
Baltimore 50.37

Do you know what the difference is between per capita and total number? Or are you simply taking whatever fits your argument despite switching metrics?

But the pathetic attempt at your argument is underscored by the fact that you’re trying to argue with another poster about the data I posted. You got an issue with it, come at me directly or sit down.

Old 11-18-2021, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Do you know what the difference is between per capita and total number? Or are you simply taking whatever fits your argument despite switching metrics?

But the pathetic attempt at your argument is underscored by the fact that you’re trying to argue with another poster about the data I posted. You got an issue with it, come at me directly or sit down.
I wasn't disputing your analysis and did fail to notice it the numbers in the post was placed in a confusing per 10000 way. All I was saying is the way BostonShudra made his list Houston is not top 10.
No need to be rude or do you always get so worked up defending Houston?

Old 11-18-2021, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post

Actually I don't think I was that far off. In post 373 you created a list of foreign born residents that is in absolute numbers.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/city...2019-a-38.html

So the Filipino population in Houston is at number 10, and the Chinese population is at number 9, Taiwanese was at number 5, Indians at number 11 and Koreans not even in top 17. It was not just CA and NY that beat Houston in many of these - places like Chicago that does not boast of its diversity beats Houston in Chinese, Indian, Korean and Filipino numbers. So yeah even if I was wrong with the top 10 comment you and the other boosters need to back the heck up when making claims about Houston's above average Asian diversity.

Old 11-19-2021, 06:25 AM

4,398 posts, read 4,660,387 times
Quote:
Other top 5 cities.
There's 56 MSA's over 1 million in this country. Houston is noticeably more diverse than most in this country. Saying it's average compared to the TOP 5 sounds like moving the goal post. Yeah Houston might not be as ethnically diverse as NYC or some West coast cities especially when it comes to the Asian population but not many metros in the country diversity can match a NYC or LA in that category. Houston's overall diversity though is talked about a lot for good reason. It is one of the top cities in the nation for diversity.

And I saw you mentioned something about "You don't see Chicago boasting about their diversity." Yeah Chicago is more segregated than Houston too, I wonder why hmmm?

Old 11-19-2021, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
There's 56 MSA's over 1 million in this country. Houston is noticeably more diverse than most in this country. Saying it's average compared to the TOP 5 sounds like moving the goal post. Yeah Houston might not be as ethnically diverse as NYC or some West coast cities especially when it comes to the Asian population but not many metros in the country diversity can match a NYC or LA in that category. Houston's overall diversity though is talked about a lot for good reason. It is one of the top cities in the nation for diversity.

And I saw you mentioned something about "You don't see Chicago boasting about their diversity." Yeah Chicago is more segregated than Houston too, I wonder why hmmm?
I agree with what you wrote.
I only brought up "average Asian diversity" into this thread because someone had written that Houston is number 1 in ethnic diversity, which I find unlikely, so I asked where is that off the chart diversity coming from. It's not Europeans or Asians, and most likely not Africans, so I was guessing it probably came from Hispanic diversity. I will retract my comment about "average Asian diversity" and replace it with "not top tier, and probably not even a clear leader in the second tier". There, fixed.

Old 11-19-2021, 08:53 AM

Quote:
I agree with what you wrote.
I only brought up "average Asian diversity" into this thread because someone had written that Houston is number 1 in ethnic diversity, which I find unlikely, so I asked where is that off the chart diversity coming from. It's not Europeans or Asians, and most likely not Africans, so I was guessing it probably came from Hispanic diversity. I will retract my comment about "average Asian diversity" and replace it with "not top tier, and probably not even a clear leader in the second tier". There, fixed.
Whoever said Houston is number one in the country in diversity is wrong. But so is calling Houston average (even in the specific you mentioned). Tier one is NYC and there’s no argument for itself. Tier 2 is Houston along with LA, DC, Chicago and some others.

On Chicago, if you never felt it was known for being diverse that’s fine but I always felt it was and that’s one of the things I enjoyed there. As Redlion said, it is also known for being segregated so that could have something to do with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston