Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2021, 11:10 AM

8,357 posts, read 5,517,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
The diversity of Houston was often exaggerated by residents and some 'experts'. If we define diversity in culture of ethnic terms then Houston is not top 3, even among large cities. I think one of the regular posters here had a thread that dug deep into this issue earlier this year.

Most of the other world class cities mentioned here are places where people would like to move to if they could afford it, while Houston is more like a place where people move to BECAUSE they can afford it. In the twenty years I spent in Houston I know exactly 1 person who dreamt of moving to Houston and he's from Midlands.
Well, being super diverse isnt a qualification of being world class. Look at Tokyo.

I have been through the stats many times on the topic of diversity. Objectively, Houston is between the 4th and 6th most diverse metro area in the US. The metro areas that are objectively more diverse are NYC, DC, and LA. Then you have the Bay Area which I would give the edge them. The other two in this grouping would be Chicago and Miami. Miami is more diverse on paper but its much more concentrated so I actually give an edge to Houston. Chicago was more multicultural 20 years ago, but right now Houston is.

When we take this to a global level, places like Toronto, London, Paris, Brussels, and Sydney would be more diverse than Houston. However, Houston is still easily top 20 in diversity worldwide.

Were right to be proud of the diversity here because if there is a such things as world class diversity, we have it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2021, 11:12 AM

20,517 posts, read 33,565,329 times
Quote:
The diversity of Houston was often exaggerated by residents and some 'experts'. If we define diversity in culture of ethnic terms then Houston is not top 3, even among large cities. I think one of the regular posters here had a thread that dug deep into this issue earlier this year.

Most of the other world class cities mentioned here are places where people would like to move to if they could afford it, while Houston is more like a place where people move to BECAUSE they can afford it. In the twenty years I spent in Houston I know exactly 1 person who dreamt of moving to Houston and he's from Midlands.
I think ethnically, Houston is top 10 in diversity and rising imo but it's in the top 2 or 3 racially.

Old 11-18-2021, 11:19 AM

9,907 posts, read 6,617,073 times
Quote:

There’s a difference between ethnic and racial diversity. Houston isn’t top tier in racial diversity but it is in ethnic diversity.

Basically, there’s NYC, and then Houston along with others such as LA, DC and others play the tug of war game after that.

Old 11-18-2021, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclear Bear View Post

I'd been going to Houston for 30 years, and had never had any issues with the air quality.
I was on a business trip to Houston after I had visited the Pacific Northwest.

For the first time in my life I realized how bad Houston smelled.
For full disclosure I was staying near Hobby Airport.

If you have lived in Houston your entire life you are most likely used to the smell of the oil refineries. I had always heard people complain about the smell, but I was in my mid 30's before I realized they were correct.
I’ve lived here and even in Louisiana where it’s worse and I still smell oil refineries when I’m anywhere southeast. I don’t smell it on the north and west side though. There’s a reason that’s where the growth is.

Old 11-18-2021, 11:31 AM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,903,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
BWI airport is Baltimore, not DC. It is in the Baltimore MSA.
And MSA population
1 NYC 20,140,470
2 Los Angeles 13,200,998
3 Chicago 9,618,502
4 DFW 7,637,387
5 Houston 7,122,240
6 DC 6,385,162
7 Philadelphia 6,245,051
8 Miami 6,138,333
9 Atlanta 6,089,815
10Boston 4,941,632
11Phoenix 4,845,432
12SFO 4,749,008

Old 11-18-2021, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
There’s a difference between ethnic and racial diversity. Houston isn’t top tier in racial diversity but it is in ethnic diversity.

Basically, there’s NYC, and then Houston along with others such as LA, DC and others play the tug of war game after that.
Is that not the other way around? Because Houston is well represented racially but ethnically it's a bit different. Most of Houston's Black population is AA whereas a city like Miami and NYC has a more diverse Black population. Same example with Latinos. NYC is above and beyond everyone ethnically and racially IMO.

Old 11-18-2021, 11:37 AM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,903,765 times
https://www.macrotrends.net/cities/l...-by-population

Not sure how this list comes up with its population numbers, but it shows Houston 61st largest in the world and 20th outside Asia.

Old 11-18-2021, 11:42 AM

8,357 posts, read 5,517,461 times
Quote:
Is that not the other way around? Because Houston is well represented racially but ethnically it's a bit different. Most of Houston's Black population is AA whereas a city like Miami and NYC has a more diverse Black population. Same example with Latinos. NYC is above and beyond everyone ethnically and racially IMO.
Ethnically, Houston is around the number 5 spot. Racially, its around the 3 spot.

Old 11-18-2021, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Houston’s born African population is much lower than NYC but it’s well represented as compared to other 5 million+ metros particularly those on the Western side of the country. Arabics, East Asian, South Asian, etc are all missing from Miami for example which is why I wouldn’t call Miami many tiers below.

Miami I wouldn’t call anywhere near as diverse as Houston because it doesn’t pull ethnicities as globally as Houston. Most of their foreigners come from Latin America or Europe to a much lesser degree. Houston, Dallas, Chicago, etc. are well represented by all continents. That’s diversity. Miami certainly more international than all of these but when they all come from the same continent, I wouldn’t call this diverse. Having a little bit of everything is by definition more diverse than having a lot of a few things.

Yes, NYC is definitely above and beyond everyone else. The fight for 2-5, is where Houston stands.

Old 11-18-2021, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Houston’s born African population is much lower than NYC but it’s well represented as compared to other 5 million+ metros particularly those on the Western side of the country. Arabics, East Asian, South Asian, etc are all missing from Miami for example which is why I wouldn’t call Miami many tiers below.

Miami I wouldn’t call anywhere near as diverse as Houston because it doesn’t pull ethnicities as globally as Houston. Most of their foreigners come from Latin America or Europe to a much lesser degree. Houston, Dallas, Chicago, etc. are well represented by all continents. That’s diversity. Miami certainly more international than all of these but when they all come from the same continent, I wouldn’t call this diverse. Having a little bit of everything is by definition more diverse than having a lot of a few things.

Yes, NYC is definitely above and beyond everyone else. The fight for 2-5, is where Houston stands.
I agree with you about Miami but I will say they have a slightly diverse black and white population, and a more diverse latino population than Houston. Houston does have a more diverse and large Asian population though. I would also put Houston above Miami in diversity myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston