Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2021, 09:07 AM

20,523 posts, read 33,586,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnh View Post
Y'all, this video is long but oh so relevant to this discussion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxykI30fS54
Yeah this was discussed on here. Other than him hating Houston, I don’t find much I disagree with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2021, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Yeah good reference to LA. It’s one thing to not have a world class public transportation system (such as LA). But it’s one thing to not be doing much to improve.

The Silver Line would be game changer but there’s one problem: it’s not connected to the light rail. If you could reliable right of way separated transit from downtown, TMC, UH, Rice etc to the Galleria, this would be a big step forward. But you can’t. And they are working on connecting the systems but it will be a few years before this happens.

https://www.metrorouteatlas.net/citi...ps/Houston.png

The University line is finally back on the table and they just hired AECOM for engineering it. And extending the red line to Hobby and a north side BRT to IAH.

Once these projects begin to roll in… we still won’t be close to LA’s level but atleast the improvements begin rolling in for a better move forward. When you’re in a bad spot that’s one thing but to stand still in that spot is the worst.
Yep. It’s a start at the least which is all you need. LA had a same start and progressed from there. They figured out that you can’t only asphalt yourself out of a problem especially when there are 12 million people living there. Doing nothing and you deserve the future you get.

Old 11-16-2021, 09:21 AM
Status: "Worship the Earth, Worship Love, not Imaginary Gods" (set 4 days ago)

8,374 posts, read 5,536,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Yeah this was discussed on here. Other than him hating Houston, I don’t find much I disagree with.
It wasnt a very fair comparison. He took his experience in Willowbrook as all of Houston.

Old 11-16-2021, 10:18 AM

5,634 posts, read 4,958,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
Only people on C-D want to function without a car. For some reason public transit is romanticized on C-D, but not in the real world. It’s nice to use on occasion but not for everything.
PS seems to focus on white-collar workers and those with $ to go out for entertainment. The most important function of public transit is to help folks get to work and necessary services, especially those for whom car affordability is a challenge. Houston has made a lot of improvements in this regard, but still has a long way to go. Public transit is never going to be as convenient in most cases as you own car (except when traffic and parking really sucks, which it sometimes can in Houston, if not as much as elsewhere), but a world-class place doesn't offer exceptional barriers like transportation to those who arrive poor and want to work their way up.

Old 11-16-2021, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Every World class City I’ve been to, had rail transportation between their airport and downtown
Houston doesn’t have it
It should be way down the list. Having good public transit for local workers is much much more important. This isn't even arguable. How long did it take for NYC to get good rail to its airports?

Old 11-16-2021, 10:27 AM

Quote:
I think Miami is definitely world class. But I agree with your second paragraph other than that.
What makes Miami world class? Before you answer, nightclub and fashion culture don't cut it.

Old 11-16-2021, 11:06 AM

9,931 posts, read 6,643,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
What makes Miami world class? Before you answer, nightclub and fashion culture don't cut it.
Correction: don’t cut it for you. In what Miami has to offer which is good beaches, shopping and entertainment, it’s best in its class. Houston has amazing shopping some of the best in the country. But Miami is up there with NYC and Paris in this regard. South Beach is one of the most desirable places to visit in USA. Old Havana is a destination cultural and architectural place people desire to see. Miami is a haven for real estate investors (both for good and bad reasons). I would call that world class. If you don’t, I understand but I disagree.

Old 11-16-2021, 11:32 AM

I personally think Miami comes up a bit short myself. It has world class entertainment, shopping, beaches but doesn't stack up well in economy, education, and public transit ( I think Houston's LRT has higher ridership than Miami's HRT). It does have an underrated art scene though. It checks some boxes but not enough. Like Houston.

Old 11-16-2021, 11:36 AM

2,867 posts, read 2,183,306 times
Quote:
Correction: don’t cut it for you. In what Miami has to offer which is good beaches, shopping and entertainment, it’s best in its class. Houston has amazing shopping some of the best in the country. But Miami is up there with NYC and Paris in this regard. South Beach is one of the most desirable places to visit in USA. Old Havana is a destination cultural and architectural place people desire to see. Miami is a haven for real estate investors (both for good and bad reasons). I would call that world class. If you don’t, I understand but I disagree.
Miami is also seen as "world class" by a lot of the world, especially in South America, and that counts for something.

Old 11-16-2021, 12:08 PM

While so much about the term "world class" is subjective, I also am not sure what I see about SF and LA that people claim elevates them to NYC / London / Tokyo level. LA has shopping (I guess) and the entertainment industry, which is admittedly influential, but what else there is so top-tier that it's better than Houston / DFW / Atlanta / Chicago / Seattle / Boston / DC etc.? And SF is only influential / truly top tier in biotech and, maybe more importantly, eco-consciousness / social justice virtue signaling (which is also admittedly highly influential). Its tech industry is just a subsidiary / beneficiary of innovation that comes from Silicon Valley down the Peninsula. Outside of intentionally hyper-cutting edge expensive restaurants, affordable and relevant to very very few, what else is it influencing or setting the standard for? It's known for having underwhelming and often dysfunctional public transit despite being a city that really needs it. Its reputation seems to live off the legacy of the 1960s counterculture and its role as the primary gay capital of the planet in the 1970s/80s.

I will give LA the distinction of world-class foreign import infrastructure, equaled by few others if any (Rotterdam?), despite it being overwhelmed at the moment.

Sure both LA and SF are popular tourist destinations, but so are Orlando and Venice. Maybe if you consider them as bigger metros - especially combining SF with the whole Bay Area including SV - they're more elevated above the secondary U.S. tier in terms of "world-class"-ness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston