Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2021, 01:47 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,184,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
I’ll go ahead and reiterate that to see ethnic diversity, you don’t measure by looking how diverse the Asian, Euro, Latin, African etc groups are individually. Diversity lies in all of the presences overall.

That being said, fine let’s look at it this way for argument sakes.

Hispanic - understandable to call Houston’s non diverse since Mexicans are well over half of Houston’s Hispanic community. That said, for its location (Texas, west of Mississippi) it’s definitely more diverse than its peers with a very large Central American, Colombian, and a rapidly growing Venezuelan and Cuban community.

Asian - laughable to say it’s anything less than above aberage. Even if you separate South and East/SE Asia (which I personally do). I suppose because Vietnamese are very dominate culturally in Houston and Texas as a whole, you see it this way? There’s historic and cultural reasons that Vietnamese are a cultural force as compared to other Asian countries in Houston and all of Texas but this doesn’t take away from the above average Chinese, Filipino, etc communities that exist. If you factor in South Asia as well it becomes even less of a debate.
I was commenting on the very small number of Taiwanese/Japanese and relatively small number of Koreans and SE Asians aside from Vietnamese. I guess I should've specified East Asian or SE Asian. But yeah even for those Houston would only be behind California and New York. If you take out the large Vietnamese population then Houston would be pretty average in its East Asian representation compared to other top 10 metros.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2021, 01:51 PM

20,523 posts, read 33,590,056 times
Quote:
I’ll go ahead and reiterate that to see ethnic diversity, you don’t measure by looking how diverse the Asian, Euro, Latin, African etc groups are individually. Diversity lies in all of the presences overall.

That being said, fine let’s look at it this way for argument sakes.

Hispanic - understandable to call Houston’s non diverse since Mexicans are well over half of Houston’s Hispanic community. That said, for its location (Texas, west of Mississippi) it’s definitely more diverse than its peers with a very large Central American, Colombian, and a rapidly growing Venezuelan and Cuban community.

Asian - laughable to say it’s anything less than above aberage. Even if you separate South and East/SE Asia (which I personally do). I suppose because Vietnamese are very dominate culturally in Houston and Texas as a whole, you see it this way? There’s historic and cultural reasons that Vietnamese are a cultural force as compared to other Asian countries in Houston and all of Texas but this doesn’t take away from the above average Chinese, Filipino, etc communities that exist. If you factor in South Asia as well it becomes even less of a debate.
I will amend my statement there. Houston's Hispanic diversity is greater than any city west of the Mississippi. Even beats LA and the Bay. I think when you look at metros that have a Hispanic population over 1 million, only NYC, Miami, and probably DC has a more diverse Hispanic population and I don't know about DC.

Old 11-18-2021, 01:57 PM

9,931 posts, read 6,647,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
I was commenting on the very small number of Taiwanese/Japanese and relatively small number of Koreans and SE Asians aside from Vietnamese. I guess I should've specified East Asian or SE Asian. But yeah even for those Houston would only be behind California and New York. If you take out the large Vietnamese population then Houston would be pretty average in its East Asian representation compared to other top 10 metros.
Good point. If Asians left Houston, Houston’s Asian community would be small because there wouldn’t be any. Lol really?? Just fyi, the largest Asian group being taken out would make every city average at best outside of LA, SF, NYC and maybe Seattle.

You are very wrong in the first part of the paragraph too by the way. Wasn’t as crazy as that last sentence but… the Houston Taiwanese community is relatively small? You actually think that? Sure the Japanese one is small but it’s also extremely small in every city outside of California and New York. This topic is brought up often. Korean small? Sure compared to other large cities it is but it still exists. And Asian diversity is based on all of Asia/East Asia not Korea specifically. And Houston SE Asian is small outside of Vietnam? Where are getting these crazy claims from? This is extremely wrong.

AsBelow was right, you need a data check before these odd claims.

Old 11-18-2021, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Yeah but I believe the majority of Houston's African population is Nigerian. Cities like DC, NYC, even DFW have a more diverse African population with good representation from all parts of the continent. I think As Above So Below has the stats on that. I will say that Houston's Black pop is diversifying but still a ways to go to compare to Miami and especially DC and NYC as a whole.
This is true. I think it is diversifying I’m beginning to run into more and more Africans from different parts of the continent. Cameroonians, Ivory Coast, Equitorial Guinnea, etc.

Old 11-18-2021, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Good point. If Asians left Houston, Houston’s Asian community would be small because there wouldn’t be any. Lol really?? Just fyi, the largest Asian group being taken out would make every city average at best outside of LA, SF, NYC and maybe Seattle.

You are very wrong in the first part of the paragraph too by the way. Wasn’t as crazy as that last sentence but… the Houston Taiwanese community is relatively small? You actually think that? Sure the Japanese one is small but it’s also extremely small in every city outside of California and New York. This topic is brought up often. Korean small? Sure compared to other large cities it is but it still exists. And Asian diversity is based on all of Asia/East Asia not Korea specifically. And Houston SE Asian is small outside of Vietnam? Where are getting these crazy claims from? This is extremely wrong.

AsBelow was right, you need a data check before these odd claims.
Well according to the 2010 census there are all of 7,109 Taiwanese living in Houston, so yeah that's small.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taiwan...an_populations

Houston's not even in top 10 in Japanese American population.
https://www.pewresearch.org/social-t...se-in-the-u-s/

For SE Asia there are too many countries to compare. But Houston is even lagging in the seemingly ubiquitous Filipino population. Didn't even make the top 10.

https://www.pewresearch.org/social-t...no-population/

The same for Korean Americans:
https://www.pewresearch.org/social-t...an-population/

See a pattern here?

Old 11-18-2021, 03:12 PM
Status: "Worship the Earth, Worship Love, not Imaginary Gods" (set 5 days ago)

8,374 posts, read 5,539,473 times
Quote:
Well according to the 2010 census there are all of 7,109 Taiwanese living in Houston, so yeah that's small.

For SE Asia there are too many countries to compare. But Houston is even lagging in the seemingly ubiquitous Filipino population. Didn't even make the top 10.

See a pattern here?
Lets use more relevant and current data.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/city...2019-a-28.html

Post 271 for growth from 2010-2019.
Post 373 for total immigrant group population.
Post 397 for diversity per capita by immigrant group.

I went through all these numbers and compared them to each other. Want to verify it, go to data.census.gov and look at things that arent outdated.

Old 11-18-2021, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Lets use more relevant and current data.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/city...2019-a-28.html

Post 271 for growth from 2010-2019.
Post 373 for total immigrant group population.
Post 397 for diversity per capita by immigrant group.

I went through all these numbers and compared them to each other. Want to verify it, go to data.census.gov and look at things that arent outdated.
Quote:

See a pattern here?
Since you know this so well, why don’t you post your source? I already broke down earlier what was wrong with the other post. Here’s AsBelow’s post 373 in relation to what you’re saying.

the “very tiny” Taiwanese population in Houston is actually 14,285, good enough for 5th in the country as well as the largest outside of NY and Cali. If this is small to you, this is just a reflection of Taiwanese in USA in general. Japanese even more so, outside of Cali and NY, they aren’t very abundant anywhere.

The also “very small” Filipino population comes to 39,326 which is good enough for top 10 as well as the largest in the south.

The only way Houston’s Asian population isn’t diverse is if you’re comparing it NYC, cities in California and (maybe) Seattle.

Old 11-18-2021, 03:42 PM

5,634 posts, read 4,960,435 times
I'm not sure how much diversity counts toward world-class-ness if Tokyo is considered world-class (and most folks feel it is).

Let's just say if it is part of one's criteria, Houston generally isn't lacking, other than maybe some European countries and certain parts of Africa.

Just drive down Westheimer from Gessner to West Oaks Mall - it truly feels global (if sometimes ratty, but then hey...NYC, right?).

Old 11-18-2021, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Since you know this so well, why don’t you post your source? I already broke down earlier what was wrong with the other post. Here’s AsBelow’s post 373 in relation to what you’re saying.

the “very tiny” Taiwanese population in Houston is actually 14,285, good enough for 5th in the country as well as the largest outside of NY and Cali. If this is small to you, this is just a reflection of Taiwanese in USA in general. Japanese even more so, outside of Cali and NY, they aren’t very abundant anywhere.

The also “very small” Filipino population comes to 39,326 which is good enough for top 10 as well as the largest in the south.

The only way Houston’s Asian population isn’t diverse is if you’re comparing it NYC, cities in California and (maybe) Seattle.
Using your own source it appears that Houston's Asian diversity is pretty unremarkable.
The Filipino population according to post 394 is not in the top 10. Neither is Korean. Outside of Vietnamese Houston does not really crack the top 10, and that's counting South Asian.
Even if Houston is number 3 in the nation in Asian diversity the gap between it and number 2 is pretty large.

Old 11-18-2021, 05:25 PM
Status: "Worship the Earth, Worship Love, not Imaginary Gods" (set 5 days ago)

8,374 posts, read 5,539,473 times
Quote:
Using your own source it appears that Houston's Asian diversity is pretty unremarkable.
The Filipino population according to post 394 is not in the top 10. Neither is Korean. Outside of Vietnamese Houston does not really crack the top 10, and that's counting South Asian.
Even if Houston is number 3 in the nation in Asian diversity the gap between it and number 2 is pretty large.
You didn’t look very hard.

Houston is top 10 for Vietnamese, Chinese, Taiwanese, Indian, and Pakistani.

It has THE fastest growing Filipino and Vietnamese populations in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston