Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2022, 11:48 AM

15,644 posts, read 7,674,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
There was a time I voted mostly Republican, with a smattering of Dems mixed in. The R party was reasonable, had decent views on issues, and some leaders like Bush or Reagan I could support.

They've now become the party of hate. They hate gays, they hate gay marriage. They clearly hate women with their anti-choice, anti-abortion laws (can you imagine making a 12 year victim of incest carry her baby full term? they can). I honestly don't understand why they care so much if someone is gay, trans, purple or female. People are people. But haters gonna hate.

The vast majority refuse to condemn the violence of Jan 6, or the fact it was an attempt to overturn MY vote. A majority still think Adolph Twittler should be president, even though he is an embarrassment to our country.

How about sending those poor illegal aliens to other states? Do we have a border problem? Yes. Do we need to do something? Yes. But sending those people to Mass was a political stunt, and clearly not a real solution. And treating anyone, even an illegal immigrant, as a tool is not something a compassionate person does.

Have you read the TX Republican platform? It's like I'm in the 1850s. Plank #155: "Homosexuality is an abnormal lifestyle". Plank #201 calls for preserving Confederate monuments. I'm a native multi-generational Texan, but even I know we lost the Civil War. Why do we honor the leaders of that insurrection? Maybe 100 years ago, it made sense. But 150 years later... I'm over it.
https://texasgop.org/platform/

As I've gotten older, I've come to learn that character matters most of all. It's the one thing that endures. It's how we treat our fellow humans that defines us. And sadly, the Rs no longer seem to care about most of us.

So to answer your question, I will never vote R again, until there is a sea change in that party.
Astrohip just said pretty much what I would say. Until the Republicans change, I won't be voting for them again.

Old 09-27-2022, 12:36 PM

2,556 posts, read 4,070,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Astrohip just said pretty much what I would say. Until the Republicans change, I won't be voting for them again.
I'll add that most of the folks sent to Massachussetts were not illegal aliens. They were asylum seekers from Venezuela. Arriving in the US and requesting asylum is legal. They are here legally.

Old 09-27-2022, 01:15 PM
Status: "Worship the Earth, Worship Love, not Imaginary Gods" (set 27 days ago)

8,472 posts, read 5,613,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Wouldn't you want to vote for a Republican that you can agree on most of their positions with? If you could vote for Mealer in California then you should be able to vote for her in Texas. As it is, Texas is pretty balanced politically overall and in several ways more liberal/progressive than California (like allowing religious, medical, and personal belief exemptions for K12 vaccines whereas CA only allows a very strict medical exemption). Voting for democrats in Texas just because won't make things better.
I suppose Id respond in this way:

1) I dont agree with Mealer more than Hidalgo. Its about 50/50. I would have preferred Mealers approach to Covid but prefer Hidalgos approach to immigration. The later is more important to me.
2) Texas is not politically balanced at all. The population may be, but the government is run by hard right Republicans.
3) This is bigger than either candidate. Both parties suck but what makes it worse is when one party runs everything. Right now, Republicans run everything in the state and are using their power to push socially regressive and evangelical policies. That needs to stop so under no circumstances will I ever vote for a Republican in Texas just as I would never vote for a Democrat in California. I might go third party, but never GOP here. That doesn't mean I dislike all GOP politicians in Texas. I like Dan Crenshaw, but even if I lived in his district, I wouldnt vote for him for the same reasons.

Old 09-27-2022, 04:33 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,267,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
I'll add that most of the folks sent to Massachussetts were not illegal aliens. They were asylum seekers from Venezuela. Arriving in the US and requesting asylum is legal. They are here legally.
Thank you for that correction.

Old 09-28-2022, 04:20 PM

24,102 posts, read 15,206,653 times
The 5 million from the Weekley bros tells me all I need to know about the republican candidate. They want business as usual. That means real estate development anywhere, anytime. Flood zone, who cares?

Learned a lot 25 years ago when I sued a builder and won. Then I watched as a group named Sick of Bad Builders got royally screwed by Weekly and others.

Old 09-28-2022, 06:55 PM

13 posts, read 8,988 times
well enjoy your 5$ gas and nuclear war and all the child grooming and crime and worsening economy. you voted for it.

Old 09-28-2022, 09:55 PM

905 posts, read 489,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonlmao View Post
well enjoy your 5$ gas and nuclear war and all the child grooming and crime and worsening economy. you voted for it.

Old 09-28-2022, 10:07 PM

18,159 posts, read 25,394,869 times
Quote:
Gas is below $3/gallon
But who cares about facts, right?

Old 09-29-2022, 06:36 AM

24,102 posts, read 15,206,653 times
Quote:
The county judge controls all that?

Old 09-29-2022, 01:09 PM

1,660 posts, read 1,254,019 times
There’s that word groomer again. Reminds me of around 1990 (give or take a few years) when every adult male was accused of being a pedo by suburban women. The Nigerian ice cream truck driver was a pedo. The mailman was a pedo. That icky neighbor who has obviously never touched a woman - must be another pedo. Well I’m so glad this Moral Mealer will put a stop to that when she is elected. BTW Is she pronouncing her maiden name to sound like the English word “moral.” As in a republican with morals? “Moral” like the cripple, the lazy eye and the damn yankee currently in Austin?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston