Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2016, 09:07 PM

73 posts, read 83,535 times

Advertisements

No info on what will become of the M&D space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2016, 04:13 PM

4,958 posts, read 8,952,889 times
$50K in funding approved for Tri-State Aeroplex | News | herald-dispatch.com

Old 12-18-2016, 06:58 AM

Some great news about several downtown buildings! I can't wait to see what's in store for them!

Mayor has new hope for tallest buildings | News | herald-dispatch.com

Old 12-18-2016, 12:19 PM

941 posts, read 1,355,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
Some great news about several downtown buildings! I can't wait to see what's in store for them!

Mayor has new hope for tallest buildings | News | herald-dispatch.com
Fill them up and add more!!!

Old 12-18-2016, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PynballWyzyrd View Post
Fill them up and add more!!!
Hopefully that where this is headed! Here's another article talking about The Pritchard Building:

Church plans historic renovation of downtown Prichard building | Business | herald-dispatch.com

Old 12-19-2016, 12:02 AM

941 posts, read 1,355,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
Hopefully that where this is headed! Here's another article talking about The Pritchard Building:

Church plans historic renovation of downtown Prichard building | Business | herald-dispatch.com
Oh this is good news! It's almost like Huntington is overcoming an illness that overtook the city for the better part of a century.

Now when do we hit that critical mass where development goes from renovation and revitalization to new construction and development? That's the exciting question.

ALSO, I must say that I am kind of skeptical that a church is redeveloping The Prichard. I mean, I'm grateful for anything, but what could they possibly use it for? Are they just restarting their "Hope Tower" project? Or is this going to be some kind of regional church-Mecca (yes - almost or maybe an oxymoron there)? They say "community-asset" but any development should be a community asset sooooo that description tells me nothing. I just hope that whatever they do, it really will be something that everyone can or will use. Notice that there is a difference between a "community-asset" and something that everyone can use.

Cautiously optimistic is how I feel.

Old 12-19-2016, 06:19 AM

1,642 posts, read 2,421,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PynballWyzyrd View Post
Oh this is good news! It's almost like Huntington is overcoming an illness that overtook the city for the better part of a century.

Now when do we hit that critical mass where development goes from renovation and revitalization to new construction and development? That's the exciting question.

ALSO, I must say that I am kind of skeptical that a church is redeveloping The Prichard. I mean, I'm grateful for anything, but what could they possibly use it for? Are they just restarting their "Hope Tower" project? Or is this going to be some kind of regional church-Mecca (yes - almost or maybe an oxymoron there)? They say "community-asset" but any development should be a community asset sooooo that description tells me nothing. I just hope that whatever they do, it really will be something that everyone can or will use. Notice that there is a difference between a "community-asset" and something that everyone can use.

Cautiously optimistic is how I feel.
My guess with the Prichard is another iteration of the Hope Tower project. There's plenty of space in that building to keep with that mission while expanding the breadth of services available, whether childcare, mental health, occupational help, whatever. It seems that they 1) want to help more than just a specific subset of the population, 2) want to buffer against being too specialized, which would be more prone to changes in non-profit health funding and regulations, and 3) don't want to develop a place that becomes that place where all the addicts go (my conjecture), thereby preventing #1 and exacerbating #2.

Old 01-14-2017, 07:55 AM

Huntington is a finalist for a Blight Restoration Scholarship from the Center for Community Progress.

Huntington a finalist in blight restoration scholarship contest - WOWK 13 Charleston, Huntington WV News, Weather, Sports

Old 01-25-2017, 03:58 AM

530 posts, read 589,575 times
New senior housing complex on Doulton Ave nearly complete. Also, an update on the Northcott demolition; should resume in April with the demolition of 3 more buildings and then the final buildings should be torn down later this year. Curious when we will start seeing some specific plans/proposals for the property?

Senior apartment complex nearly ready for residents | News | herald-dispatch.com

Old 02-05-2017, 06:44 PM

Quote:
HUNTINGTON - A group of local investors plans to launch a drive to attract 500 retirees to live in renovated historic buildings in downtown Huntington.

The vision of Bob Childers, John Hankins, Alex Vence and Jeff Barnes is that up to $50 million will be spent to upgrade up to 11 downtown structures, and pump up to $20 million annually into the economy if their initiative succeeds as planned. Childers, Hankins and Vence are local developers and Barnes is president and chief executive officer of the Barnes Agency, a marketing, advertising and public relations firm located in downtown.
Group launches effort to attract retirees | News | herald-dispatch.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington