Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 06:30 AM

414 posts, read 400,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCTMadison View Post
You need to hang around Madison either in the mornings or late afternoon (or Saturday afternoons) and see how you feel about it. It doesn't bother me at all but I do get traffic complaints (and that has been a hot topic around here). Everyone is going to feel different about it.

Traffic can also get hellacious going over Governor's into HC or Cecil Ashburn in the same way, during commute times. I personally hate dealing with traffic on the Parkway more than anything I deal with in Madison but that is just me.

From what you have said you have been looking at and liked, you probably won't like Villas of Madison. They aren't really comparable at all to other neighborhoods like Hampton Cove, Overland Trace, etc. They are old and most are pretty dated and the neighborhood itself can be quite congested. Location is great, right in the heart of Madison and traffic is honestly not that bad in that area....its 72 that gets so clogged up with everyone commuting in the mornings and afternoons. Heading east in the mornings and west back into Madison in the afternoons is where the really worst traffic is, and heading north up Wall Triana. The west side of Madison off County Line is a pretty good area if you do want to avoid traffic and be in Madison, and there are a couple of garden home communities over here. Traffic tends to flow pretty well up and down County Line, even with three school zones in the mornings and afternoons. It will get MUCH better when all the road construction is completed, including the Old Madison Pike bridge.

If you are looking at Woodmill Trace, just be warned.....that is right in the heart of the traffic on 72 and having to cross 72 coming from or going to Christopher is a major headache. We just sold one over there and one day I literally sat there for 10 minutes until people finally decided to be nice and not block me from crossing the westbound land of 72.
Been in a hotel on University into my second week (selling and buying property) with forays west. So much congestion, but I think a lot of it is perception coming from a smaller town. I won't have to be in work traffic, but I notice now difficult it is to sometimes just get onto 72. In fact, there is a lot of traffic in Huntsville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2015, 08:45 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,300,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emptynester1 View Post
Tired of the search. A glut of offerings in this area, but hard to find a suitable property.
I know what you mean. And I totally agree with you on the horrid fiberglass inserts! It's something unique to this market. Where I've lived before, even modest new construction homes had cast iron tubs & tile surrounds. Meanwhile, in this market, you see the fiberglass inserts even in high-end homes! it drives me bananas. It's ridiculous for a $400-500k house to have a $200 fiberglass tub/shower insert. But you see it more often than not.

Old 02-09-2015, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN2HSV View Post
I know what you mean. And I totally agree with you on the horrid fiberglass inserts! It's something unique to this market. Where I've lived before, even modest new construction homes had cast iron tubs & tile surrounds. Meanwhile, in this market, you see the fiberglass inserts even in high-end homes! it drives me bananas. It's ridiculous for a $400-500k house to have a $200 fiberglass tub/shower insert. But you see it more often than not.
Yes. Just disgusting! And what do they look like after a few years? Thinking sanitizing and yellowing and everything and this builder had the gall to install the inserts OVER the sheetrock and trim with wood or wood like material. I think the inserts are a deal breaker for me. Planned on contracting today. Builder does not want to come back and tear inserts out in 3 bathrooms.

Old 02-09-2015, 11:14 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,300,850 times
Quote:
Yes. Just disgusting! And what do they look like after a few years? Thinking sanitizing and yellowing and everything and this builder had the gall to install the inserts OVER the sheetrock and trim with wood or wood like material. I think the inserts are a deal breaker for me. Planned on contracting today. Builder does not want to come back and tear inserts out in 3 bathrooms.
Look for same floor plan in a resale. You'll get a better price & not feel bad about tearing out the inserts

Old 02-09-2015, 09:28 PM

169 posts, read 206,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCTMadison View Post
Here's an article for you. Like it says, "nationally" it may be an AVERAGE of 8% but there is greater disparity often times when you look at the local markets.
That is kind of how an AVERAGE works. Numbers above, below, and equal to the average. Add 'em up, divide by N, and they come out to the average.

Old 02-10-2015, 05:39 PM

493 posts, read 713,234 times
Quote:
I am being cautioned away from Madison due to traffic. Opinions?
Madison traffic has never bothered me. I don't live in the city limits of Madison anymore but I originally moved to Madison when there was not that much traffic (20 years ago) and even now with the traffic the way it is it doesn't bother me (when I'm in Madison).

Old 02-10-2015, 06:26 PM

Chose Madison County. Did a test run about 5 but moving towards Hsv. Not bad. Hard to get onto the road though if not at a light. I think that those on a non-traditional schedule, or those from a larger city will be able to tolerate the congestion a bit.

Old 02-10-2015, 08:51 PM

2,513 posts, read 2,789,669 times
We moved to meridianville. 5 o clock traffic is 25 minutes home. 730 am traffic is 20 minutes. We looked at west Madison county and east limestone and it was 15 minutes more.

Old 02-10-2015, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFanHSV View Post
We moved to meridianville. 5 o clock traffic is 25 minutes home. 730 am traffic is 20 minutes. We looked at west Madison county and east limestone and it was 15 minutes more.
Sounds like a perfect move. Don't know much about Meridianville. Years ago the 'burbs seemed so far away, but that has changed.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:24 AM

2,513 posts, read 2,789,669 times
Quote:
Sounds like a perfect move. Don't know much about Meridianville. Years ago the 'burbs seemed so far away, but that has changed.

Its just north of A&M on 231. Before you get to Hazel Green. I take Bob Wade to Research park blvd to work. Traffic isn't bad at all. However, there isn't much in the way of restaraunts or shopping. We typically drive into huntsville on the weekends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area