Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 10:19 AM

2,997 posts, read 3,583,586 times

Advertisements

wonder how long before it's burned to the ground
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2014, 01:28 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,878,548 times
I guess they showed us .

Old 07-12-2014, 10:41 PM

442 posts, read 647,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCTMadison View Post
Well, I guess this is one way to stop people from gawking at your house......

Kildare Mansion to be gutted and the pieces sold - WAFF-TV: News, Weather and Sports for Huntsville, AL
Is that thing seriously worth more "in pieces" than it is the way it is now being a constructed historic home?

I know where it's at and that is not the best part of Huntsville but I don't see it(or the pieces) having much value if it's taken apart. I could see some antique built-ins and antique light fixtures having some decent value but I don't see him making very much money(if anything) off of the flooring, walls, etc.

It almost seems to me like he is trying to get revenge(or trying to get them to change their minds) by doing this because it's a historic landmark in the City of Huntsville! Or as someone else said maybe he's hoping someone will now offer a nice chunk of change for the house to try to save it! I think it is ridiculous to take it apart and sell it off!

Old 07-13-2014, 07:36 AM

If it is a registered historic structure is it allowed to be destroyed or in this situation sold off piece by piece?

Old 07-13-2014, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post
If it is a registered historic structure is it allowed to be destroyed or in this situation sold off piece by piece?
There are 85 properties/districts in Madison County. Kildare is one of them
What are the restrictions, rules, regulations for historic property owners?
From the Federal perspective (the National Register of Historic Places is part of the National Park Service), a property owner can do whatever they want with their property as long as there are no Federal monies attached to the property. You can find this on our website at:
National Register of Historic Places Fundamentals: How to List a Property in the National Register -- National Register of Historic Places Official Website--Part of the National Park Service
However, before this occurs, you can, or the property owner should contact the State historic preservation office (SHPO.) The SHPO is the state agency that oversees historic preservation efforts in their state. There may be state or local preservation laws that they should be aware of before they undertake a project with a historic property.
You can find contact information for the SHPOs at:
List of SHPO Websites National Register of Historic Places Official Website--Part of the National Park Service
If Federal monies are attached to the property then any changes to the property have to allow the Advisory Council on Historic Preservation (Advisory Council on Historic Preservation: Preserving America's Heritage) to comment on the project.

You can also read a copy of the National Register of Historic Places code of Federal regulations at: National Register of Historic Places Federal Program Regulations
You can also find general information for owners at:
National Register of Historic Places Fundamentals: How to List a Property in the National Register -- National Register of Historic Places Official Website--Part of the National Park Service

Old 07-13-2014, 08:10 PM

1 posts, read 1,639 times
They also have a mortgage on the property (and one would assume that the Historic House is the major portion of the value of the collateral for the mortgage security). In all this hoopla of threats to demolish the house, I'm betting that a wise and Johnny-on-the-spot loan officer (viz., someone at Sun Mortgage or Sun Trust Mortgage - which ever one has the mortgage) will be checking to be sure that they garnish any proceeds from selling off the architectural pieces and parts. The Mortgage Company best be doing that to make sure that the investors are NOT left holding the deed to a vacant lot in a Crack/Meth neighborhood. Delila already demolished the interior of Dwight's house located at the corner of Steele and Holmes (at least he is still listed as the owner of record in the online tax records). If he begins serious demolition, then the mortgage company has to act fast to either impose an injunction or call his note ... if they call his note, then he has to find lots of money in a gosh darn hurry.

There is more to come in this saga. I'd bet that their insurance company is nervous as hell afraid that Delila might drop one of her cigarette butts on a lacquer-thinner soaked rag ... I believe that ****** would do something like that.

Old 07-14-2014, 06:44 AM

445 posts, read 771,337 times
I was kinda hoping this was all a publicity stunt to get someone to come forward with an offer to buy the house.

Old 07-14-2014, 11:12 AM

626 posts, read 755,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CP79 View Post
I was kinda hoping this was all a publicity stunt to get someone to come forward with an offer to buy the house.
Or maybe this will be a made for tv movie?

Old 07-27-2014, 08:50 AM

53 posts, read 56,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamar Bowman View Post
Or maybe this will be a made for tv movie?
It has the makings for one depending how the story ends. I am probably in the minority, but I side with the owner. I would not want to be him.

Old 08-15-2014, 11:25 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,443,387 times
UPDATE:

Quote:
Thursday morning Kildare Mansion owner Delila VanLandingham and a supportive neighbor began cutting fence posts along the front of the property down to 8 feet in hopes it may persuade city counselors to allow the structure to stay.

The owners of one of Huntsville’s most iconic historic buildings continue to plead with city council members to restart negotiations over their fence that must be moved by September 8th.

“We brought it down so it fits the criteria of being a standard decorative fence by anybody’s definition,” explains VanLandingham. “And we’ve also got the insurance policy so that the city is named as the beneficiary so that there’s no liability.”
Kildare Mansion owner lops off fence posts in hopes of final compromise with city | WHNT.com

The property owners now have a website:

Kildare Mansion - Huntsville, AL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area