Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2010, 02:20 PM

692 posts, read 1,503,103 times

Advertisements

While personally I am not a fan of Ikea, I think it is more in your mindset than anything else. I just bought furniture online and I actually prefered that process. I was able to get fabric swatches shipped to me, test them out with every spill that might hit them from my kids and see how they cleaned, test them by rubbing them over the pets to see what "stuck"(some fabrics are like velcro for pet fur no matter how hard you try), I was able to "scratch" them with the cats nails to check for pulling-even though my cats NEVER do that In the end I felt I had the perfect fabric!! A few of them looked UGLY when I was done, and a couple still looked good and I put them through a years worth of abuse in a week.

Will Ikea let me bring juice to spill

And I don't like the window shopping aspect, I am anti female that way, so I think much of it is a mindset.

As for Trader Joe's, I LOVE them!!! There is one in Chicago now and I was there at least once a week during my year. One of my favorite stores. I have thought about trekking to Nashville but haven't done it, I guess I am just a lazy bum who decides the car ride with 2 children isn't really worth it. I can't wait to give EarthFare a chance, but I will likely still miss TJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 03:21 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darcyd View Post
@ Charles:
With IKEA, a large part of the appeal is the window-shopping factor. You can shop online and have things shipped, sure, but it is so much more fun to cruise up and down the aisles of this incredibly huge store. The variety and prices boggle the mind a bit, and add to that, the style is so different from the generally traditional and ornate style I've seen here in the South. It's not just about finding what you want and bringing it home - it's the whole experience of shopping!
But enough said about IKEA. They should pay me for me money for all this advertising!
Right, but couldn't you do that on a weekend trip to Atlanta? If IKEA was in Huntsville, would you go in there more than once a year?

Old 02-11-2010, 05:43 PM

37 posts, read 76,585 times
Well, seeing as I have a 5 year-old and a 1 year-old, and am not that hip to spending money on a hotel, I'm not that excited to try to go shopping in Atlanta! Not sure what your problem is with the idea of IKEA - you seem very resistant. The thread asked what I'd like to see, and that's what I like to see. I'd be in there all the time. Now, no offense, but I think I've clearly established why I would like to have an IKEA.

Old 03-06-2010, 08:35 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,779,367 times
Default New Restaurant & Retail Thread

Moderator cut: duplicate thread

For a fast growing city and metro, new businesses are very common in Huntsville. If you know of any new retail stores and/or restaurants in the Huntsville Metro, please post here.

Smokehouse
Earthfare

.........just to name a few.

Last edited by Keeper; 03-07-2010 at 05:32 AM..

Old 03-07-2010, 06:58 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post

For a fast growing city and metro, new businesses are very common in Huntsville. If you know of any new retail stores and/or restaurants in the Huntsville Metro, please post here.

Smokehouse
Earthfare

The Villa, 431 and Old 431 in Big Cove

Old 03-07-2010, 08:08 AM

256 posts, read 605,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post

Smokehouse
Earthfare

New businesses are very common to close in Huntsville due to sucking. Soon-to-close likely include:

Smokehouse
Villa at Hampton Cove

Just to name a few...

Old 03-07-2010, 08:27 AM

103 posts, read 278,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidH74 View Post
New businesses are very common to close in Huntsville due to sucking. Soon-to-close likely include:

Smokehouse
Villa at Hampton Cove

Just to name a few...
Haven't been to Smokehouse, but my husband and I were less than impressed by the Villa. They had only been open a week or two but we had to wait a very long time for our food that we weren't that crazy about. We agreed we'd give it a second chance a little later but haven't gotten back yet.

Old 03-08-2010, 02:58 PM

6 posts, read 12,156 times
Ikea

Old 10-28-2010, 01:05 PM

1 posts, read 785 times
I would love to open a classy Home & Gift shop in the old downtown. But looks like there's only one retail shop, a few restaurants, and alot of Law offices. Is Huntsville only about "chain" stores in shopping strip malls? Or would residents like to stroll their historic downtown?? Need your opinion.

Old 10-28-2010, 05:11 PM

14 posts, read 37,663 times
@Jan Peirce -- I don't live in Huntsville yet (moving there in a couple of months), but I would love to see that type of retail downtown! Not sure if we are typical H-ville demographic, but we're all about supporting local "mom and pop" stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area