Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 06:18 PM

298 posts, read 716,389 times

Advertisements

WAAYTV.com - Huntsville, Alabama - News Weather, Sports | Country Music Venues Set to Help Alabama Economy (http://www.waaytv.com/Global/story.asp?S=9984146 - broken link)

We will be saved, however, by country bingo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 07:44 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,779,981 times
Another good story about Huntsville:

Smaller Cities Buck the Credit Crunch - WSJ.com

Old 03-30-2009, 03:04 PM

1,763 posts, read 7,336,888 times
oops Charles, I just saw that same story and made a thread on it

dang -- maybe a mod will delete it or somethin'.....

Old 03-30-2009, 03:17 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,779,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caution View Post
oops Charles, I just saw that same story and made a thread on it

dang -- maybe a mod will delete it or somethin'.....
I think you have 96 minutes to delete a post. After that, you have to send a DM to a mod or admin.

Old 03-30-2009, 03:28 PM

1,763 posts, read 7,336,888 times
I'll get it

Old 03-30-2009, 04:12 PM

1,351 posts, read 3,426,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caution View Post
Consumer-lending activity has increased in numerous midsize cities in the U.S., a sign they are riding out the recession better than big cities and rural towns, an analysis of credit data shows.

As banks pull back on risk taking across the nation, consumer-loan balances in places like Huntsville, Ala., are rising.
Don't know about other fellow Hsv residents on this board, but this article is in blatant contradiction with the reduction in half of my consumer credit cards (one generic Visa, and 2 store credit cards). My BestBuy dropped from a whopping $9000 (as a result of unsolicited credit limit increases over time) to $304 (how in the world they got that number beats me), the $5000 Lowes got lowered to $224 (again, what's up with these numbers?). On all changes I was not previously notified of.
That's really not a big issue with my credit as even after the limit decrease I still spend (and pay in full) 8% of my available credit.
But my concern is really the lowering of my score as a result of this maneuver, as I've been reading it is the case (especially with the new FICO'08 score). The upside is that I am not currently in a major purchase mode (home, car). By the time I need to buy these things, my score has time to go up again (if it even dropped any-at this point the score lowering as a result of the debt-to-credit-ratio is more of an urban legend to me, as I have never had a need to pull that magic number).

Now, the really hilarious thing is that I received a coupon from Chase/Best Buy as a result of me being a valued customer for a 10% off when I use the credit card for purchases up to $1000 until April something. Yeah , right, you want my business back now?! go figure. They did not only waste my business with them, but also the paper the coupon card was printed on and the postage. As it happened before, I am sure these credit limits will creep up again, unsolicited, as the economy and consumer spending improve further. But I never been one of them reckless spenders before, much less in this economy.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:00 AM

447 posts, read 558,223 times
They lower people's credit limit?

Old 09-16-2009, 05:51 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,786,979 times
Quote:
Local economy still best in state
Quote:

Tuesday, September 15, 2009 By Brian Lawson
Times Staff Writer brian.lawson@htimes.com

Jobless rate likely to rise, but housing starts to stabilize
A year after Wall Street nearly melted down in a self-inflicted frenzy, the U.S. economy is still dragging along.
Huntsville has felt some of the effects, with an unemployment rate above 8 percent and nearly 4,000 jobs lost. But it still has the best economy in the state, said Ahmad Ijaz, an economic analyst for the University of Alabama's Center for Business and Economic Research.
Local economy still best in state - al.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area