Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 10:02 AM

1,351 posts, read 3,426,527 times

Advertisements

Obama Cracks Down On Government Contractors : NPR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2009, 09:14 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,786,979 times
i HOPE oBAMA DOESN'T HURT hUNTSVILLE, BECAUSE Huntsville has come to far to be let down!

Old 03-07-2009, 11:14 AM

More Jobs to Huntsville?
DHS: DHS Recovery Act Aviation Projects to Create 3,000 Jobs

Old 03-07-2009, 12:06 PM

595 posts, read 2,723,209 times
My brother-in-law is very concerned about the security of his job after Obama cuts Govt. contracts. They are retired military...living in a large expensive home that they can afford on his current salary...however he says he can see that the light is growing dim at the end of the tunnel and even though his contract isn't due for another 22 months...he's wasting any time in looking for another job in other areas of the country. He doesn't want to be the one that turns the lights out...on his way out. He's a very smart man and my sister is a lawyer....but he's called it right almost everytime. I to thought that Texas was recession proof...but it's finally hitting here...and it's getting bad. It's scary. I hope for my sister's sake that he's wrong. They love living in Huntsville.

Old 03-07-2009, 10:59 PM

692 posts, read 1,503,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by destin04 View Post
My brother-in-law is very concerned about the security of his job after Obama cuts Govt. contracts. They are retired military...living in a large expensive home that they can afford on his current salary...however he says he can see that the light is growing dim at the end of the tunnel and even though his contract isn't due for another 22 months...he's wasting any time in looking for another job in other areas of the country. He doesn't want to be the one that turns the lights out...on his way out. He's a very smart man and my sister is a lawyer....but he's called it right almost everytime. I to thought that Texas was recession proof...but it's finally hitting here...and it's getting bad. It's scary. I hope for my sister's sake that he's wrong. They love living in Huntsville.
I wouldn't worry quite yet. To worry is to say that those jobs are not needed. The functions of most of these contract jobs are needed, I would say that the worst case at this point would be that the jobs are moved to another contract company or to the government itself. Does anyone really think that they can just eliminate that many jobs? I am sure that there are some cuts that can be made, but the way Obama talks about contractors, it is obvious that he doesn't fully understand the functions of government contractors.

Old 03-15-2009, 10:40 AM

Hey you guys, it's real funny how most of you seem to hate too much development in Huntsville. It annoys me. Y'all should have known from the beginning when BRAC was announced that Huntsville was going to boom and explode. Huntsville's reputation is too good for Huntsville to slow down. Y'all should have known. Huntsville's economy is probably the best in the nation now. According to Forbes and all of these different websites, Huntsville is most of the time in the top 3 for being the city of the future, the best place to live, the best place for engineers, etc. It's real crazy how most of y'all hate to see thousands of people move here. Don't you see how good Huntsville adds up to the rest of the country! Of course, Huntsville is going to see an influx of people.

I know that alot of y'all aren't from Huntsville, let alone Alabama. Y'all probably came to Huntsville for the same reasons that thousands of other people are moving here for. How do you know if people before y'all came here felt the same about y'all moving here? You can't just think about yourselves and how you feel about the boom in Huntsville. Everyone knows that if a city is doing good in a recession than the rest of the country that many people will move to that particular city.

I know that Huntsville's growth can get out of hand! What city's growth doesn't get out of hand when there are good things there? We need to stop trying to disregard change and accept the fact that Huntsville is going to grow fast whether we like it or not. If you don't like all the traffic on University, do something about! Stop complaining!

I'm currently in Huntsville. Huntsville's economy is great! The malls, dining places, roads, and other places were just packed. According to the locals and to my family members that I talked to, Huntsville's economy is great! They say that the recession isn't bothering Huntsville too tough; the economy here is booming rather than ailing. They said look around at the malls and see if the recession is hurting Huntsville. They said that people in Huntsville are shopaholics and they like to go out to eat; it's their pasttimes.

I asked them how do they feel about the proposed mega centers. They said that they will work here because the economy is good here and people here just like to shop. It's funny how locals and people on city-data.com who aren't originally from here have different views about the economy and the growth in Huntsville. Locals tend to not have a problem about it because whatever comes, they will go and support it. If it's too much, they know how to dodge it. They said that they like to see change in Huntsville. They said that if it wasn't for Huntsville's great economy, they wouldn't be where they are today.

They said that they are glad that Huntsville's economy isn't failing like Atlanta's because everything here wouldn't be as great as it is now. Because of the good economy, they are glad that they got a new shopping center (BridgeStreet) and new neighbors and friends. They don't know where they would be if the economy in Huntsville was to fail. They are welcoming BRAC and the new jobs to Huntsville with warmth.

Look at how great Huntsville's economy and reputation is:
http://www.ansleefarms.com/pages.php.../03/11/0836571

Old 03-15-2009, 02:13 PM

976 posts, read 2,685,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KE111691 View Post
Hey you guys, it's real funny how most of you seem to hate too much development in Huntsville. It annoys me. Y'all should have known from the beginning when BRAC was announced that Huntsville was going to boom and explode. Huntsville's reputation is too good for Huntsville to slow down. Y'all should have known. Huntsville's economy is probably the best in the nation now. According to Forbes and all of these different websites, Huntsville is most of the time in the top 3 for being the city of the future, the best place to live, the best place for engineers, etc. It's real crazy how most of y'all hate to see thousands of people move here. Don't you see how good Huntsville adds up to the rest of the country! Of course, Huntsville is going to see an influx of people.

I know that alot of y'all aren't from Huntsville, let alone Alabama. Y'all probably came to Huntsville for the same reasons that thousands of other people are moving here for. How do you know if people before y'all came here felt the same about y'all moving here? You can't just think about yourselves and how you feel about the boom in Huntsville. Everyone knows that if a city is doing good in a recession than the rest of the country that many people will move to that particular city.

I know that Huntsville's growth can get out of hand! What city's growth doesn't get out of hand when there are good things there? We need to stop trying to disregard change and accept the fact that Huntsville is going to grow fast whether we like it or not. If you don't like all the traffic on University, do something about! Stop complaining!

I'm currently in Huntsville. Huntsville's economy is great! The malls, dining places, roads, and other places were just packed. According to the locals and to my family members that I talked to, Huntsville's economy is great! They say that the recession isn't bothering Huntsville too tough; the economy here is booming rather than ailing. They said look around at the malls and see if the recession is hurting Huntsville. They said that people in Huntsville are shopaholics and they like to go out to eat; it's their pasttimes.

I asked them how do they feel about the proposed mega centers. They said that they will work here because the economy is good here and people here just like to shop. It's funny how locals and people on city-data.com who aren't originally from here have different views about the economy and the growth in Huntsville. Locals tend to not have a problem about it because whatever comes, they will go and support it. If it's too much, they know how to dodge it. They said that they like to see change in Huntsville. They said that if it wasn't for Huntsville's great economy, they wouldn't be where they are today.

They said that they are glad that Huntsville's economy isn't failing like Atlanta's because everything here wouldn't be as great as it is now. Because of the good economy, they are glad that they got a new shopping center (BridgeStreet) and new neighbors and friends. They don't know where they would be if the economy in Huntsville was to fail. They are welcoming BRAC and the new jobs to Huntsville with warmth.

Anslee Farms - Classic Living
Are you serious?

Old 03-15-2009, 02:28 PM

5,002 posts, read 9,164,340 times
LOL I think so !!
Quote:
[They said that they are glad that Huntsville's economy isn't failing like Atlanta's because everything here wouldn't be as great as it is now. Because of the good economy
- I had no idea that Atlanta`s economy was failing that`s hard to believe ?

Last edited by Keeper; 03-15-2009 at 04:55 PM.. Reason: fixed quote

Old 03-15-2009, 02:43 PM

976 posts, read 2,685,152 times
Well I was in Atlanta for two days this week and they say the economy is doing bad over there, but that's only because Atlanta has alot of millionaires and billionares that are not investing and spending money like they use to(like my uncle).But there are new skyscrapers going up,downtown was packed because for NCAA tournament,st patrick day parade was going on, hip hop video shoots and concerts everywhere. Didn't sound like a bad economy to me.

Old 03-15-2009, 03:32 PM

1,351 posts, read 3,426,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KE111691 View Post
Huntsville's economy is probably the best in the nation now. ...the boom in Huntsville. ...Huntsville is going to grow fast whether we like it or not... Huntsville's economy is great! ..the recession isn't bothering Huntsville too tough; the economy here is booming rather than ailing. ...the economy is good here... Huntsville's economy isn't failing......good economy...
Anslee Farms - Classic Living

Yeah, KE, tell all about how great is to live in HSV nowadays to the non-engineering workforce ... i.e. manufacturing ( eg Sanmina, Cinram, Continental).

Hey, KE, we are not all engineers, y'a know?... Even with a highly-paid engineer dude in a family of 2+1,2,3 kids, when the spouse is laid off, try to get by then!!

You don't see it, do you?, unless the picture is really bleak/black, like in Detroit, otherwise all you want to see is a rosy pretty picture where we live happily ever after ...the recession, what recession?.

Stop getting all excited (and trumpet it), it's not all that good for everybody. Sure, you don't see people being laid-off in droves, but they are out there, and trust me, not all (if any) are "absorbed" by the defense industry. MDA, AMCOM, NASA, BRAC, RSA, defense contractors- the majority of employers here- are an elite, select club, you don't get in easily, if at all (if you don't have the education, skills, connections or the decades of specific experience).

So, try to refrain your excitement a little, it makes some people feel really bad for not seeing the bright side of this "great place to live/work".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area