Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 05:13 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,202,996 times

Advertisements

Most of the articles are from 2006-2008 before the recession began. Orlando is listed above H'ville in one list which is not true today. Ppl are losing their houses and can't sell them for what they owe on them.

You also can't base your opinion on what your family thinks about H'ville. If they aren't suffering the effects of the economy then of course they have a different opinion than someone who just lost their job.

Friday13 you are right, there are ppl hurting now. Try getting a job without a security clearance with Redstone or any of the defense dept contractors, most of them won't even talk to you even if you have the qualifications.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2009, 05:36 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,783,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
Most of the articles are from 2006-2008 before the recession began. Orlando is listed above H'ville in one list which is not true today. Ppl are losing their houses and can't sell them for what they owe on them.

You also can't base your opinion on what your family thinks about H'ville. If they aren't suffering the effects of the economy then of course they have a different opinion than someone who just lost their job.

Friday13 you are right, there are ppl hurting now. Try getting a job without a security clearance with Redstone or any of the defense dept contractors, most of them won't even talk to you even if you have the qualifications.
See, I didn't say just my family, I asked some locals also when we went out. When I went to the mall, everyone that I saw (and all weren't engineers) was shopping and acting like the economy was hurting them. Also, there were numerous websites that I personally saw (don't know the name of them) that said great things about Huntsville during the recession. If the economy is doing good here, why would those articles on Huntsville change? I feel that those articles still mean something because of Huntsville's good performance during the economy.

Also, what I saw were "normal" people, not just alot of engineers out. those "normal" people were out at the malls having a lot of bags in their hands. These "normal" people were packed at dining places. From what I saw, it seems like only a few people are suffering. People everywhere, also in Huntsville, are suffering; people have suffered even before the economy. So how do we know if the people in Huntsville that are suffering have been suffering long before the recession since the economy is so good here? We may not know. I'm going to speak for myself and say that Huntsville is not failing during the economy. I see it on the Internet and on the news.

Suffering people most of the time look depressed. Suffering people most of the time stay at home and don't go anywhere so that they can save the little money that they have. Did I see that this weekend? No! What I saw were happy people who enjoyed their day out. They didn't look depressed and tired. Even college students were out (from what I know, college folks don't have alot of money).

Trust me, I have been places where the economy was taking a toll. There, a few people were out on the road, a few people were at the malls, and a lot of people looked like the economy was affecting them.

I disagree to an extent because I know some people in Huntsville are suffering. Hey, the good is outweighing the bad. So there you have it: Huntsville, a city, that is doing better than most of the country during the recession.

And yes, I do get it!

Last edited by SouthernBoy205; 03-15-2009 at 05:44 PM..

Old 03-15-2009, 05:48 PM

976 posts, read 2,684,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KE111691 View Post
See, I didn't say just my family, I asked some locals also when we went out. When I went to the mall, everyone that I saw (and all weren't engineers) was shopping and acting like the economy was hurting them. Also, there were numerous websites that I personally saw (don't know the name of them) that said great things about Huntsville during the recession. If the economy is doing good here, why would those articles on Huntsville change? I feel that those articles still mean something because of Huntsville's good performance during the economy.

Also, what I saw were "normal" people, not just alot of engineers out. those "normal" people were out at the malls having a lot of bags in their hands. These "normal" people were packed at dining places. From what I saw, it seems like only a few people are suffering. DUH, people everywhere, also in Huntsville, are suffering; people have suffered even before the economy. So how do we know if the people in Huntsville that are suffering have been suffering long before the recession since the economy is so good here? We may not know. I'm going to speak for myself and say that Huntsville is not failing during the economy. I see it on the Internet and on the news.

Suffering people most of the time look depressed. Suffering people most of the time stay at home and don't go anywhere so that they can save the little money that they have. Did I see that this weekend? No! What I saw were happy people who enjoyed their day out. They didn't look depressed and tired. Even college students were out (from what I know, college folks don't have alot of money).

Trust me, I have been places where the economy was taking a toll. There, a few people were out on the road, a few people were at the malls, and a lot of people looked like the economy was affecting them.
Hey KE, I know you excited to be in Hville, but dont be to excited.
Be cool

Old 03-15-2009, 05:52 PM

Why does everyone think that I am excited!!!! I am happy but not excited! I AM NOT EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just want someone to see how I feel and see where I am coming from, but everyone feels opposite. Wish everyone could see what I see.

Sincerely,

A not excited, but extraordinary and happy, Alabamian

Old 03-15-2009, 06:08 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,794,766 times
You said Huntsville is doing better than any other city in the country during this recession. Do you have proof of that?

Old 03-15-2009, 06:18 PM

ChamberLink Newsletter
In Pictures: Affordable Places To Weather the Downturn - Forbes.com

Yeah, Yeah! I know that y'all are going to say this doesn't say anything, but Forbes wouldn't place Huntsville number one if it didn't deserve to be number one.

Old 03-15-2009, 06:18 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,427,001 times
Quote:
Also, what I saw were "normal" people, not just alot of engineers out.
How could you tell? By the lack of pocket protectors??
(Shout out to Charles for engineer photos, in and out of their natural habitats LOL!!)

Last edited by Southlander; 03-15-2009 at 06:28 PM..

Old 03-15-2009, 06:23 PM

From what I was told on this website (don't remember the thread), engineers dress like snobs. They just look like business people.

Old 03-15-2009, 06:28 PM

976 posts, read 2,684,679 times
Quote:
ChamberLink Newsletter
In Pictures: Affordable Places To Weather the Downturn - Forbes.com

Yeah, Yeah! I know that y'all are going to say this doesn't say anything, but Forbes wouldn't place Huntsville number one if it didn't deserve to be number one.
Interesting
Madison County #1
Mobile County#8
But it really doesn't mean anything those list change everyday.
Most of those places on that list I didn't know existed.

Old 03-15-2009, 06:29 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,427,001 times
So, what does a snob dress like?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area