Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 11:18 AM

105 posts, read 289,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsp4ever View Post
Weird to think of "barbecue" and "upscale" being used in the same sentence. Sounds like a marketing ploy to justify high prices. I'm sure rent is not cheap in Bridge Street.
LOL, the funny thing is that some guy from Dolce Group just wrote the same exact phrase on a post on the other thread.

I swear, I should become some sort of Marketing mastermind...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 11:26 AM

346 posts, read 851,123 times
Fancy BBQ? What is that? Ordering a pork pulled sammich and receiving it on a china plate, then having to eat it with a fork.

I dunno!!!!!!!! I would think upscale there, but I look at the pizza place and the other eating establishments near the Gondola ride/merry-go-round and recall that they aren't that "upscale".

Old 09-22-2009, 11:44 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,958,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamachic80 View Post
Fancy BBQ? What is that?
It is the same as gourmet hot dog !

Old 09-22-2009, 12:08 PM

482 posts, read 2,418,067 times
The Huntsville Times is reporting all food orders will be 50% off thru Sunday when they close, not a bad way to use up all your stock!

Old 09-22-2009, 04:04 PM

142 posts, read 675,290 times
Guess it could be a BBQ place along the style of:

www.theqshack.com

www.redhotandblue.com

www.stickyfingers.com

www.smokeybones.com

Last edited by Southeastern; 09-22-2009 at 04:12 PM.. Reason: additions

Old 09-22-2009, 04:39 PM

379 posts, read 849,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southeastern View Post
Guess it could be a BBQ place along the style of:

www.theqshack.com

www.redhotandblue.com

www.stickyfingers.com

www.smokeybones.com
Smokey Bones rocks.

Old 09-22-2009, 06:00 PM

426 posts, read 1,272,492 times
I've eaten at both Red Hot and Blue as well as Sticky Fingers. Foodwise, they are both pretty good but still not what I would consider to be upscale dining. Maybe for barbecue, I guess....

The atmosphere in both of these would remind me (somewhat) of Red Robin, O'Charleys, Applebees or any number of chain restaurants.

Interestingly, Corky's was in Huntsville (and I would consider them similar to RH&B and Sticky Fingers) when we moved here but closed their doors a few years ago. I do enjoy Corky's and will still stop by when I'm in Memphis.

Old 09-22-2009, 07:09 PM

369 posts, read 1,146,215 times
Wood Ranch BBQ from California would qualify as upscale and is truly excellent.

Old 09-22-2009, 07:55 PM

355 posts, read 963,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolcegroup View Post
As a matter of full-disclosure, my name is Sam Rubin, and I am the General Manager of Dolce and Ketchup at Bridge Street.

The decision to close Ketchup was a difficult and sad decision but the competition for American dining in this area is very fierce and an offer was made by the developer to purchase the restaurant from us and operate their own concept (while I am not sure of the exact concept, I have been hearing something about an upscale BBQ concept). We reamin optimistic and excited about our presence in Huntsville and are focusing all of our efforts on the continued success of Dolce. We have no plans on closing Dolce and we look forward to continuing our great relationship with Huntsville Diners.

Some of the previous comments that have been made in this post are incorrect. Sure when we first opened we may have been a little to "LA" for the area. We quickly adapted and made changes--such as changing the menu and discontinuing the weekend entertainment. We refocused our energy on getting back to the basics and emphasizing that Ketchup is first and foremost a restaurant.

Comments about $12 sandwiches and $25 entrees are from menus that are over 13 months old. I would encourage everyone who has not been before or has not been in the past 6 months to try Ketchup one more (and perhaps last time). Our lunch menu has a wide selection from wraps, to salads, to sandwiches, and entrees. With the exception of 3 seafood entrees at Lunch that are priced at $12... all other menu items are priced at $10 or less. As far as dinner goes we have two entrees (steaks) priced at $20 and the remaining menu items are priced less than that with an average entree price of $14 - $16. We provide a great value for a large portion and use alot of locally grown products.

The sad part is that while Ketchup is closing we worked closing with so many local farmers, companies, and supported almost every non-profit or charity organization that approached us (which is more than many other restaurants can say). Not only will Huntsville be losing a great restaurant that was unique but also a great contributor to the Huntsville community.

On a separate note, we are not alone. Restaurants and businesses close every day. In the past month several stores have closed at Bridge Street Town Centre. In fact, this weekend will also be the last weekend for Kate Spade--a national chain that is obviously feeling the economic situation as well.

I encourage you all to try Dolce if you have not. Our menu is fresh and exciting and reasonably priced (pastas are $14 - $19 and entrees are $14 - $28).

Feel free to contact me directly or introduce yourself to me when you dine with the next time. I'd love to meet each of you and hope that you have an amazing experience during your next visit.

Regards,
Sam Rubin
General Manager, Dolce & Ketchup
c: 678-644-7553
e: samrubin@dolcegroup.com
w: www.dolcegroup.com
Nice post. Good luck with Dolce, as I do think you and your investors have tried to adapt more to the local market. Also appreciate the fact you have been a good corporate citizen.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:24 AM

1,977 posts, read 4,206,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm42 View Post
Wood Ranch BBQ from California would qualify as upscale and is truly excellent.
As would "The Pit" in Raleigh, NC. However, many North Carolinians would contest that it is too upscale to be considered true BBQ, which I can relate to...

The Pit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area