Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 08:23 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,026,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKNOVA View Post
Yea, you never know what you are getting into! I am also meeting with some one to view some rental homes while I am down there. I hope I find one that I like. Moving is so very very stressful!
We lived at Weston Ranch from 2006-2007. The only problem we had was neighbors sitting on their patio and talking all night on the weekend. Our bedroom was next to their patio and the walls are so thin we heard every work they said. Management was very helpful when we complained. Oh, one other issue if you live on the bottom: the outside air/heat units are very loud and also outside the bedroom windows. The pool was nice and at that time they had valet garbage pickup. Very nice!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 09:17 PM

93 posts, read 177,699 times
We lived at the vintage for 2 years and had a mixed experience...!

The bad:

A lot of this was due to management changes, and financial difficulties that the company that owns the property was having (Google Tarragon corp and you will see- they got delisted from the stock exchanged and filed for bankruptcy protection, which they look like emerging from soon) The issues with Tarragon led to management and maintenance turnover. Hence, maintenance issues were not followed through with - you had to keep explaining your issues to someone else (in our case it was problems with the a/c). We also noted that when we move in it was advertised as "exclusive" apartments and was pretty much the nicest ones in town - however i think they have lowered their rents and this has led to more apartments filled with students etc (not that students necessarily bring issues, but in this experience they did prove to be rather noisy!)

The good:

If you get a phone line - you get an alarm system and 24 hour monitoring, which is included in your rent. We always felt safe at the Vintage - this was a good thing as my wife had had bad experiences as an intern staying on (C)Rime Village Drive. Management has also become steady and has improved over the past 6 months - the new management has been a lot more pro-active. This may have something to do with the improved financials of the company that owns the property. They have also recently regained the services of a courtesy officer after a 1.5 year lapse- the new one is a State Trooper and parks his car on the front of the property - again helping the security image. The apartments are pretty spacious and clean. The kitchens are pretty spacious, coming with a microwave. The laundry room has a washer and dryer.

If I think of more stuff I'll reply again. Some of our friends stay in the Madison Park apartments on Slaughter, - not sure if they are more than your price range though. Arch Street, on Madison Pike, although listed more expensive does not appear to be very full - so they may be able to offer you an attractive rate.

Hope these comments are useful!!!

Walkies

Old 05-06-2010, 12:44 AM

39 posts, read 81,439 times
Wow BK, you are very proactive. My wife and I are relocating to Hville maybe in the early fall with our two young daughters and a cat. Have you looked at the Reserve at Research Park? We were looking for something larger obviously because we have the kids and a house of furniture obviously. But they seemed very nice and very reasonable. Also the Meadows at Bailey Cove look nice. I don't remember seeing any of those on your list. You said you were going TDY so it sounds like you are Military or getting out. We are moving from Germany so it is adding a whole new element of not knowing anything about the area. With all these people moving to Hville it looks like they need a whole message board just for us. I have been surfing this website.

Huntsville Apartments for Rent - Huntsville, AL on ApartmentGuide.com

you have probably already seen it but if you haven't it allows you to break it down to exactly what you are looking for.

Old 05-06-2010, 01:08 AM

39 posts, read 81,439 times
Here is another useful website...especially if you have kids or a single female living alone...not implying females can't take care of themselves, but people need to know who their neighbors are.

Map of registered offenders in your neighborhood

Old 05-06-2010, 06:52 AM

430 posts, read 1,059,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslafata View Post
Have you looked at the Reserve at Research Park?
When walkies said (C)Rime Village Drive, I am almost positive that is a reference to the Reserve...or formerly Colonial Village.

I lived there for 2 years and never had one problem. I was there during the management change from colonial village to the reserve and never had any problems at all. I heard lots of horror stories of people getting mugged or their door broken in and robbed. But I never even felt unsafe once. There was one time I was paying rent and a girl was there with her parents and she had been robbed while walking to her apt from her car. But as you know, you can get robbed anywhere.

If you did go with the reserve then make sure you get an apartment with the door facing the road. Its brighter there than in some areas where the street lights don't get to as well.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:11 AM

119 posts, read 233,407 times
Nslafata, I'm not sure exactly why that one did not make the list but for one reason or another I didn't select to view it. Might not have had enoguh stars on the reviews?

I am not military, but a contractor and I couldn't think of the best way to describe being sent down to the new place to work on that project for a week then come back for 3 weeks on my contract then go back to actually start my new position. So I borrowed TDY...

I appreciate everyone's responses please keep them coming!

Old 05-06-2010, 10:29 AM

1,351 posts, read 3,426,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslafata View Post
My wife and I are relocating to Hville maybe in the early fall with our two young daughters and a cat. Have you looked at the Reserve at Research Park? We were looking for something larger obviously because we have the kids and a house of furniture obviously. But they seemed very nice and very reasonable.
NSLAFATA: A word of caution. Since you mentioned two young kids, you might want to get selective with the school (public system, that is). I cut through The Reserve on way to Target (mid-day), and it seems quiet, and clean (the bright exterior colors make it sunny, cheerful). It is VERY convenient to shopping and Research Park (even walking distance to some of the closer companies), nice walking trails in CRP. However, the school might be Providence (not sure though, but that general area is Hsv city
limits)
ALWAYS check the zoning directly with the school, don't rely on the property manager. I know of two people on this board that wrote back in shock that they thought/were told Madison City schools and ended up at Providence. While a less-than-stellar school won't kill a child for a temporary period, parents also consider the impact of uprooting the child once again when moving into permanent housing. Madison City is fused with Hsv City and County (e.g. Arch St. Apts. is Hsv/Providence, next door Windstone S/D is Madison/Horizon. The confusion is amplified by the fact that the outskirts of Hsv city closer to Madison have 35758 Madison city code). Same on the other side of Madison at County Line with East Limestone (but I hear schools are good there).

Since you're still overseas, you can use the online tools. But ask and visit in person when you get here. Madison County system does not have an address query tool. Google the 3 school system in the Hsv area: Hsv City, Madison City, Madison County.

Quick Address Search
Address Lookup

And with that, I apologize to BK for hijacking the thread.

Old 05-06-2010, 11:46 AM

119 posts, read 233,407 times
No prob they are new too so the information was needed...not like Organic Target chicken. heh

Old 05-06-2010, 01:14 PM

9 posts, read 24,926 times
I love the crp...."nice"

Old 05-06-2010, 03:44 PM

93 posts, read 177,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghett61 View Post
When walkies said (C)Rime Village Drive, I am almost positive that is a reference to the Reserve...or formerly Colonial Village.

I lived there for 2 years and never had one problem. I was there during the management change from colonial village to the reserve and never had any problems at all. I heard lots of horror stories of people getting mugged or their door broken in and robbed. But I never even felt unsafe once. There was one time I was paying rent and a girl was there with her parents and she had been robbed while walking to her apt from her car. But as you know, you can get robbed anywhere.

If you did go with the reserve then make sure you get an apartment with the door facing the road. Its brighter there than in some areas where the street lights don't get to as well.

Admittedly my wife lived there around 5 or so years ago as an intern - however since moving here 2 years ago, Rime village drive is constantly in police reports, 16 apartments were damaged in a fire last year (who knows the cause, maybe meth...). Even worse there was a homicide there last year. Just look at the search results below and you will see how often it makes the local news.........

rime village drive News, Images, Videos, Classifieds & More - al.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area