Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 01:48 PM

119 posts, read 233,378 times

Advertisements

I have no idea...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 01:58 PM

1,351 posts, read 3,426,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKNOVA View Post
Hey,
Can anyone advise as to this location on safety, cell phone coverage, area dynamics?

South of University West of Pulaski pike North of 565 east of UAH Center/ Jordan

THANKS!

ANYTHING Pulaski in this city resonates bad. Starting at Pulaski/University. Maybe there are oases of Eden life somewhere in that area, but I have no knowledge of so far. It probably gets better out in the county, but I doubt you asked 15 miles far north. University Dr. is not a haven for safety either (Funny how I've been reading the title "robbery at Subway on Univ.", like four times in the past month, don't know whether the same location, or different, but it kept popping in the news lately, thought it was funny>> bad-hair day order turned robbery?!)

BK- are you trying to skimp on rent money? be careful what you get. For your safety, the OP list is good.

Old 05-18-2010, 02:00 PM

430 posts, read 1,059,626 times
Well if I am reading your directions correctly then its the area around butler high school. There are some areas that are fine there but then it can get some what bad quickly. I have some friends that rent houses around there and some that own houses. The areas they live are fine, nothing fancy, but not too bad. But the projects are not too far away.

Old 05-18-2010, 02:44 PM

Thanks all,
I have a few rentals in 5points that I really want but who knows if they will be there next week! So I am looking to alternative areas just in case, a house with a yard for the dog is SO much eaiser but if all fails I will tour the apartments too.
My rent is 4 digets now so anything under that is an improvement but I WANT to stay around 600-700 I will go up because safety is my main concern I also want to be safe.

Thanks for the help!

Old 05-18-2010, 03:00 PM

1,351 posts, read 3,426,527 times
Quote:
Thanks all,
I have a few rentals in 5points that I really want but who knows if they will be there next week!
Do you mean "next week" literally? Then pick up the phone and ask the owner if they can wait or work something else, like "reservation money" that will go toward your deposit/first month when you move in (if you're comfortable striking an arrangement site unseen). You never know, until you try.

Also, when you come for a visit, if you are set on an area (say 5P), drive up and down (even better, walk in 5P, it's so small, nice to walk), and where you see a "for sale" sign that you like, call the realtor/owner, maybe they're willing to rent out for a while (especially if the house has been sitting on the market). Give rep to another CD member that suggested this.

Old 05-18-2010, 05:17 PM

Uh I just read my post and I don't know where my head was...oh at work ha. Thats bad.
Yes I will be touring and training for a week this Fri-Fri. Fingers crossed I will find a nice place to live.

Old 05-21-2010, 09:26 AM

1 posts, read 1,472 times
Quote:
Thanks all,
I have a few rentals in 5points that I really want but who knows if they will be there next week! So I am looking to alternative areas just in case, a house with a yard for the dog is SO much eaiser but if all fails I will tour the apartments too.
My rent is 4 digets now so anything under that is an improvement but I WANT to stay around 600-700 I will go up because safety is my main concern I also want to be safe.

Thanks for the help!
Hi BKNOVA--

First, just want to say thanks for starting this thread (and especially your original). It looks like I'm in the same exact boat as you (except moving from Boston and my time line is a month or two later than yours...earliest is July). And despite everybody thinking I'm crazy for doing this, I'm gonna give the whole Huntsville thing a try.

Quick question--did you end up finding a good realtor for the home rental search? Looking at 5points as well. If you find one you'd recommend, please do pass the rec. on.

Good luck with the search and the move.

Old 05-21-2010, 12:33 PM

346 posts, read 851,591 times
I've posted this in another thread before, but since it was listed in the OP, I wanted to put in my 2 cents worth.

My hubby and I are former tenants of Royal Pines off Old Madison Pike. I DO NOT recommend them. They were not helpful in the whole "transitioning from living in apt, buying a house" process, much to our dismay. The complex is older, I didn't care for the noise of OMP, and I really wished we would have looked much deeper when we were moving here. I unfort didn't have the luxury of this forum, didn't know it existed, might have saved us money and inconvenience in the long run.

We currently live on Zierdt and most of the complex's along it seem decent. Although with the traffic of Zierdt, it can usually be hard to get in and out of the property.

I wish you luck and i hope your moving and transitioning experience is positive.

Old 05-21-2010, 05:58 PM

I'm here! The hunting begins at 10am tomorrow in 5 points then we hit up the apartments. I will let you know what I find. Thanks for the new posts, reccomendations and personal experience/reviews of royal pines, I actually knocked them off my list a while back.
I measured all my furnature and brought my tape measurer to make sure items fit in the place I want them to.
I have my excel spread sheet to compare places, I think I am prepared!
Time to wash off the plane funk!

Old 05-21-2010, 09:24 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,969,243 times
Quote:
I'm here! The hunting begins at 10am tomorrow in 5 points then we hit up the apartments. I will let you know what I find. Thanks for the new posts, reccomendations and personal experience/reviews of royal pines, I actually knocked them off my list a while back.
I measured all my furnature and brought my tape measurer to make sure items fit in the place I want them to.
I have my excel spread sheet to compare places, I think I am prepared!
Time to wash off the plane funk!
Bring your digital camera and take pictures. Otherwise at the end of day everything will be a blurr.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area