Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 07:52 AM

566 posts, read 2,058,784 times

Advertisements

Good you stayed in...cause at that hour you certainly didn't want to risk driving on the streets.
Yes...we have enough gas, water, batteries and canned goods to last for the next year. Would you believe I still have bottled water from last year?? I read in action line that if it's sealed it's still good to drink, though I might reserve it for washing dishes & stuff. If I don't use it this year I'll throw it away.
Can you believe FPL was approved to cut trees every 6 yrs, now??? This is nuts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2006, 09:11 AM

3 posts, read 6,332 times
As a lifelong Floridian I can honestly say that hurricanes do not terrify me. After riding out our storms in 2005, it was the aftermath- not the actual storm that was miserible. We were out of power 2 days with Charley, 9 days with Frances, and 5 days with Jeanne(Ivan missed us thankfully). There were trees down everywhere so it took awhile for the power companies to cut themselves to our rural area of Pasco county.
As much as I hate to be the one to point this out- most hurricanes are accompanied by many tornadoes. Such is the nature of the storm.
It would seem with three new waves West of the Verdes, that our hurricane season is just beginning.

Old 08-31-2006, 10:19 AM

3 posts, read 6,332 times
As a lifelong Floridian I can honestly say that hurricanes do not terrify me. After riding out our storms in 2005, it was the aftermath- not the actual storm that was miserible. We were out of power 2 days with Charley, 9 days with Frances, and 5 days with Jeanne(Ivan missed us thankfully). There were trees down everywhere so it took awhile for the power companies to cut themselves to our rural area of Pasco county.
As much as I hate to be the one to point this out- most hurricanes are accompanied by many tornadoes. Such is the nature of the storm.
It would seem with three new waves West of the Verdes, that our hurricane season is just beginning.

Old 08-31-2006, 10:22 AM

2,156 posts, read 11,152,933 times
let's all hope and pray that the Florida and Gulf coast hurricane season will continue to be mild.

Old 09-01-2006, 06:53 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,789,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu
Can you believe FPL was approved to cut trees every 6 yrs, now??? This is nuts.
I know!!! And not only that, wait til you hear this! I said nothing happened from the "storm"...
Well yesterday (Thure 8/31) I woke up about 10AM wondering why it was so hot and noticed that my clock wasn't on. I was like "Oh noooo! Wait a minute! There's no storm!" So I went outside & the neighbor said she was calling 911. I was half asleep & didn't get it...
So after waking up a bit I went back out & a fire truck was there & about 6 firemen. I asked what was going on & they pointed - the wooden pole that holds the electric lines was on fire!!! And for some reason they couldn't put it out until FPL got there. So the neighbors & I (& the firemen) just stood there watching it. It wasn't a big blaze - you had to really look to notice it. One of the firemen explained how there were hundreds of these! Umm...FIX THE POLES!!! SHEESH!!!
So anyway we actually ended up turning on our generator - we have a 120 gallon fish tank with our HUGE precious Oscy! (Oscar fish) We also have a window ac in the main bedroom & I really needed to get more sleep! I had just gone to sleep at 7AM only to be woken from all this at 10!!!
It ended up being out for 6 hours which isn't TOO bad. I got some more sleep, & fish was happy.
But UHHHHHHHHH that generator is SO dang LOUD!!!
That's enough for me this season! 2 more months...

Old 09-01-2006, 10:37 PM

566 posts, read 2,058,784 times
Yeah...2 more lousy months, lots of my neighbors have left the shutters up.
I don't know about this FPL, they are something else. They used to trim every year, then went to every 3 yrs and now got an ok for every 6 yrs - how can they get away with this? Especially, after all we've been thru. ahhh!!!!!! Hundreds they said?? Ha, ha, ha, ha, hee, hee .....probably more like tons of them out there. Some of our wooden poles around here are like really, really old. The one in the back of my house is dark & kind of slanted & looks like it's going to disintegrate. Some neighborhoods are going with underground cables, I just wish they'd do that in my neighborhood. My neighborhood has been around since the 1920's...I don't know maybe I'm nuts, but wouldn't anyone think that it's time to replace 'em? Every time a little ole' storm comes by we lose power, I'd say that 99.9 % of the time it's these darn old lines getting hit with tree limbs - and of course falling trees from the hurricanes. Last year 1 block away from here a house caught fire with Wilma & all could have been prevented. It was a big tree that fell against the rotted pole which took the lines with it, fell on the house, which caused a spark & the whole mess started.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes