Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2017, 04:44 PM

7,259 posts, read 4,631,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Re 13--
Hurricane, tropical storm?
Landing at?
Houston is not prepared for more damage
Wouldn't worry about it, user is going down a what-if this and what if that scenario road. Should the storm never turn then maybe some of these ideas can be brought back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2017, 04:50 PM

5,277 posts, read 2,801,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Ensembles are simply separate output results by the computers, called "members". There's the main models and their "ensembles" as well. You can get a mean look at the ensembles which is simply an average of them all OR.............. See each individual one like this..........

Global models and Ensembles

There are still many members that go into the Gulf and Out To Sea but majority of them focusing on Florida and Georgia and South Carolina

Is it possible that 1 line wayyy off from the rest is right? Sure. but it's a very small percentage it will be correct. Solid lines are the main models.

12z Euro EPS Strike Probabilities

Euro/GFS/CMC Averaged Strike Probabilites

It is a strange thing to hope for, however, I finally see a run predicting land fall closer to Mississippi.

If it makes a coastal run up Florida as indicated the damage may approach a trillion. The first trillion dollar storm.

I recommend Floridians drive up to Alabama last night. If 75 is still moving I would move out today. Waiting for day light to make the drive may be too late.

There are one heck of a lot of people who may attempt to use the road.

If I was in Irma sights, the only type of structure I would feel safe in would have poured concrete walls a foot thick. That should survive a direct hit. Stick construction will not.

Do people build within their homes and strong room designed for a hit?

If I were in a downtown area I would look for the second floor of a parking garage. Yes you might get very wet, however, this type of structure should survive.

Old 09-05-2017, 04:50 PM

2,148 posts, read 1,697,594 times
Quote:
Have the centers agreed Irma is an annular hurricane/cyclone?
I have been listening and reading and I only saw it in someone's comment
That was my comment. Jeff Masters (Weather Underground) alluded to this earlier today.

https://www.wunderground.com/cat6/hu...esser-antilles

Satellite images on Saturday morning showed a very well-organized storm with little spiral banding and a wide donut-shaped ring of heavy thunderstorms surrounding a large eye. This may mean that Irma is progressing towards becoming an “annular” hurricane; these type of hurricanes are more resistant to wind shear and dry air, and weaken only slowly in adverse conditions.

Old 09-05-2017, 05:08 PM

Highest cloud heights are from the hot towers.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_tower

I have not seen any hot towers in photos of Irma, however, not sure if they can be seen from space in the visible wave length.

Old 09-05-2017, 05:26 PM

Great article on construction codes of newer buildings

Should you ride out a hurricane in a high-rise? | Miami.com

I have to play SHS and walk back my statement about Irma being a potential trillion dollars storm if it goes up the coast of Florida from North to South.

Maybe at most 1/2 a trillion if it hits Miami, FtL, and Tampa all directs hits at hurricane force.

Old 09-05-2017, 05:28 PM

83,523 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reds37win View Post
That was my comment. Jeff Masters (Weather Underground) alluded to this earlier today.

https://www.wunderground.com/cat6/hu...esser-antilles

Satellite images on Saturday morning showed a very well-organized storm with little spiral banding and a wide donut-shaped ring of heavy thunderstorms surrounding a large eye. This may mean that Irma is progressing towards becoming an “annular” hurricane; these type of hurricanes are more resistant to wind shear and dry air, and weaken only slowly in adverse conditions.

Very interesting! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
Do people build within their homes and strong room designed for a hit?

Did you know Hurricane Andrew led to the "Hurricane Straps" code? When decks are built and homes, they need to have hurricane straps. Here too. I believe its a U.S code now. If Irma makes landfall somewhere as a powerhouse maybe something else might come about that we should do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in place View Post
One graph I found estimates 13,000 meters, 42,650 ft from radiosonde observations.
Another shows -56.5C at 38,000, then constant to 65,000 ft.
Thanks. 42k doesn't sound too high and didn't think it would be that cold.

Old 09-05-2017, 05:30 PM

A loop with Lat/Lon on to see the Eye movement. Looks like an ever so slight WNW move. Note it starts below 17N and ends just above.

What if it just had moved straight along 17N? That little island there would be in the path. I think that's Montserrat?

For that loop. Click on Tropical Floaters: Irma: Animated GIF Visible
GOES East Satellite Imagery - Satellite Products and Services Division/Office of Satellite and Product Operations

Old 09-05-2017, 05:31 PM

7,259 posts, read 4,631,272 times
Quote:
Any links to storm surge strength, duration?
A Cat 5 ( hopefully less at landfall but 4 is bad enough) must have a compensatory storm surge...
Yes, official specific Storm Surge maps will be issued by the NHC within 48 hours of anticipated onset of Tropical Storm force winds on continental US....so maybe late Wednesday or sometime Thursday we'll see the surge maps issued for Florida because we'll be entering that time period. They will be found right on the NHC's website adjacent to all the other blocks of info on their home page when available. Updates to those maps come out about 1 hour or so after the NHC releases storm info/stats updates and change each update. This is a newer map product they only recebtly started using and has been very successful thus far. They account for tide level (high/low) and include ocean front areas and into bays, rivers, etc that feed into those that can be susceptible to surge. These maps actually are for a one in ten chance of happening (possible worst case scenario if you will), which is what several emergency management has to plan for since it will be possible (but dont ignore because of that, instead plan for that and hope for slightly less).

Keep in mind surge values are also dependent on angle storm coming towards shore, the shape of the shoreline, how shallow the water is, barrier islands out front or not, if winds are onshore of offshore, shape of bays and rivers, how strong is the storm, how fast/slow the storm is moving, etc etc. it changes with each update. It varies storm to storm even if hits the same area a previous one hit..

In the meantime you can "play" with a know your zone type map showing how susceptible areas are If a storm hits (not Irma but just in general a storm) (remember this varies based on storm as mentioned above, and is just a general reference if you will). This is a slightly differnt map style then what the NHC will issue: http://noaa.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Map...4dd7b277935fad

Sorry for long response but its a complicated and most deadly part of a hurricane on average!

Old 09-05-2017, 05:42 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,027,614 times
I'd like to give many of you a big THANK YOU! for following this storm and giving me a relatively easy to understand explanation of what is, or may be, happening. I'm In SWF and watching the storm closely...and watching this thread closely. I can't contribute much right now as I'm certainly no meteorologist, but if I still have power or cell service I'll try and give real time info if it hits here.

Keep it up, THANKS!!!

PS...so far most of my neighbors are saying they will ride it out too. We all know it might be a wild ride. We were ground zero for Charley...this may or may not be worse...time will tell, but I can't leave.

Old 09-05-2017, 05:47 PM

I know my windows can withstand only 85mph. My roof only 105mph. I taped my windows for Sandy. I am sure things are done with higher limits down south but maybe before you decide to ride it out you can find out what your home can withstand. And of course where it floods easy around you.

You do have to appreciate mother nature and the power of this. So glad I have internet. It must of sucked before 1950 not seeing images like this.

https://twitter.com/DanLindsey77/sta...90778351132672
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes