Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 12:45 AM

7,379 posts, read 12,668,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrider434 View Post
The housing prices are now pretty much out of my range there in northern Idaho, sadly. As well seems like the area might become like a mini Seattle traffic wise, just what I've been trying to escape in Seattle, the mind-numbing horrifying traffic and congestion and the high housing costs. Guess it's time to start looking at other areas of the USA for retirement purposes.
I understand the temptation to use quick, sweeping generalizations to make decisions easier, but your conclusions are way out of scale. Maybe you just like hyperbole? There is no way NID is becoming a "mini Seattle" any time soon. Spokane maybe, but not NID. But it sounds to me as if you're looking hard for reasons not to find a place in NID that might work for you , so perhaps you, deep down, would rather go someplace else? A quick Realtor.com search shows 6 homes in Sagle below 100,000, just as an example. Of course it depends on your budget, but I think you can still find very good deals in NID.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 01:23 AM

69 posts, read 80,720 times
I've made a few trips to N. ID since last Thanksgiving looking for property. On several occasions when speaking with people in the area, the question of where I'm from has come up. I mentally cringe each time I admit being from CA, but those asking most often turn out to be from CA themselves!

I stopped and spoke with a state trooper and asked his feedback on the being-from-CA issue. He was born and raised in N. ID and said basically the same things mentioned here; people don't want to hear how it's done back in CA, and don't come up and try to change things to be more like where you came from. Those seem to be the primary gripes about migrating Californians from the folks I've run into who have lived in N. ID all or most of their lives.

I can completely envision how a few Californians can distinguish themselves in such a manner that it seems like it's always the Californians trying to change things. Many people here like to be activist about things. I can see some tree hugger moving to N. ID for the beauty of it and then losing his/her mind when they learn that there is such a thing as a timber industry. Next thing ya know, they have a new cause and claim to have seen a spotted owl in every tree...and yet another Californian has made an impression.

As for me, I like what I've seen and how things are, which is what attracts me to the area.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:59 PM

2 posts, read 6,262 times
Default Loving it in Idaho

Retired to Idaho last Oct. and Daughter's family moved to Rathdrum. It is rural, but 20 minutes from Costco and Best Buy. My son-in-law has computer based job and has to get to the airport twice a month. They built on 5 acres and love it. Consider Rathdrum for a nice mix of civilization and wilderness. I found this site as I am looking for information for a seller who has 10 acres in Careywood. We were wondering about the perc test. It sounds like Bonner County is not as concerned as here in Coeur d'Alene.
It is truly amazing to live here, and the cost of living is great

Old 02-12-2014, 11:13 PM

7,379 posts, read 12,668,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginidaho View Post
Retired to Idaho last Oct. and Daughter's family moved to Rathdrum. It is rural, but 20 minutes from Costco and Best Buy. My son-in-law has computer based job and has to get to the airport twice a month. They built on 5 acres and love it. Consider Rathdrum for a nice mix of civilization and wilderness. I found this site as I am looking for information for a seller who has 10 acres in Careywood. We were wondering about the perc test. It sounds like Bonner County is not as concerned as here in Coeur d'Alene.
It is truly amazing to live here, and the cost of living is great
Welcome to the forum! We hope you'll stop by often, and share thoughts and experiences. A perc test used to be less bureaucratic in Bonner CT (is what they tell me); these days you need it in order to obtain a site location/building permit, and it is only good for one year, then it can be renewed. I'm sure the rules are somewhat laxer in Bonner Ct than in Kootenai.

Old 02-13-2014, 02:33 AM

3,109 posts, read 10,838,848 times
Quote:
The housing prices are now pretty much out of my range there in northern Idaho, sadly. As well seems like the area might become like a mini Seattle traffic wise, just what I've been trying to escape in Seattle, the mind-numbing horrifying traffic and congestion and the high housing costs. Guess it's time to start looking at other areas of the USA for retirement purposes.
Exactly! And don't forget the nazi skinheads running rampant, we haven't even BEGUN to talk about those guys yet! People really shouldn't move here. I hear Wyoming and Utah are much nicer.

<end population control efforts>

Old 02-15-2014, 04:23 PM

206 posts, read 333,359 times
Quote:
I had the same impression when hanging out there. I'm nowhere near retirement age, but if I were, North Idaho wouldn't even be on my radar. For starters, it's still overpriced and overhyped compared to neighboring states (perhaps with the exception of Montana), due much in part to it's popularity with Southern Californians. And now a cool band has released a song about it. As I mentioned on a different thread, North Idaho (especially Coeur d'Alene) appears to be succumbing to the "cool factor" with it's associated growth, traffic, and faster pace of life. There's really no going back at this point.

If I were in the market to buy rural and retire in the Inland Northwest, I'd probably be looking more at Stevens or Ferry Counties in Washington State. Same beautiful scenery without all the hype. Less traffic, much slower pace of life, cheaper property, better weather, very low population density - especially in Ferry County.

Old 02-15-2014, 05:45 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,495,584 times
And the Hagadone haze doesn't permeate the area, too, jem22. Hagadone's gotta have his grubby money-making paws in everything around Coeur d' Alene or he can't go ta sleep at night. Won't be coming back any time soon.

Old 02-15-2014, 06:03 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,275,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jem22 View Post
I had the same impression when hanging out there. I'm nowhere near retirement age, but if I were, North Idaho wouldn't even be on my radar.
I hear Kaleeforexico is looking for a few gems... Look into Rosamond "Gateway to progress", say about 110 St. W and Ave. A. Won't be nobody bugging you or traffic

Old 02-15-2014, 06:10 PM

2,395 posts, read 3,012,077 times
Quote:
I had the same impression when hanging out there. I'm nowhere near retirement age, but if I were, North Idaho wouldn't even be on my radar. For starters, it's still overpriced and overhyped compared to neighboring states (perhaps with the exception of Montana), due much in part to it's popularity with Southern Californians. And now a cool band has released a song about it. As I mentioned on a different thread, North Idaho (especially Coeur d'Alene) appears to be succumbing to the "cool factor" with it's associated growth, traffic, and faster pace of life. There's really no going back at this point.

If I were in the market to buy rural and retire in the Inland Northwest, I'd probably be looking more at Stevens or Ferry Counties in Washington State. Same beautiful scenery without all the hype. Less traffic, much slower pace of life, cheaper property, better weather, very low population density - especially in Ferry County.

I couldn't agree more with you, it's hard to imagine why anyone would want to live in N. Idaho. After all, it's already overcrowded and the inevitable rampant urbanization is on the way, people can't slow down and enjoy the what little is left of the rural scenery, and on top of that the traffic is just as bad as in the Seattle area.

Fortunately you have recognized these trends early and I can only assume you will be staying clear of the area.

Old 02-15-2014, 07:26 PM

159 posts, read 354,534 times
Quote:

I grew up in Stevens county and now live in CDA. Most of what you said was correct but "better weather" made me laugh. There really is very little difference in the weather in NE WA and North Idaho. Same old freeze and thaw in the winter and nice warm summers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho