Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 07:51 PM

206 posts, read 333,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
And the Hagadone haze doesn't permeate the area, too, jem22. Hagadone's gotta have his grubby money-making paws in everything around Coeur d' Alene or he can't go ta sleep at night. Won't be coming back any time soon.
I googled "Hagadone" and I see exactly what you mean: this Duane character's a busy body from hell. He actually sounds like the equivalent of the Cowles family dynasty in Spokane who pull a lot of nefarious strings behind the scenes. They own the major newspaper, The Spokesman Review and one of the local news stations. Always nice to own the media when you want to shape public opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 08:00 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,072,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrider434 View Post
One thing that does bother me a bit....is how the real estates prices have been soaring there in N Idaho, from what I understand this may have been caused by Californians moving in, and saturating all of N Idaho, from what I have read...seems to me the same thing has occurred in places like Seattle, Portland, Boise, Missoula, Kalispell, and etc, over the years. From what I have read and have been told, also resulting in the eventual liberalization of these areas over the course of time as well, I am told by others.
Missoula, Seattle and Portland have been liberal for a looong time....since well before 'Californians moved in'. Though, the influx did change the way of life in those places, according to some. [though for Missoula, many east coasters, too, in my experience]. Definitely real estate price increase is in part due to: MIGRATION. Who would have thunk it?

I mean, my spouse is a native from so cal, and CA doubled its population in less than 50 years...so talk about others coming and the price of real estate going up!!!! Yet, people talk about illegal immigration and certain cultural influences as negatives in CA [true, btw, IMO], but the real estate prices did not go up b/c of immigrants from Mexico or central america. Yet, no CA natives are as resentful as other states seem to be-though many are frankly sad that they have to leave their own state to buy a home or just stay and rent. So the idea that 'all of these Californians are ruining things', is pretty funny/ironic. Since most Californians today are from elsewhere or perhaps one generation at best.

Also, the 'CA is dirty, gangs violence, etc' that the OP references, should be qualified to 'where I live in CA'. The entire state of Ca is NOT like this. And some population density is on par with N. Idaho, in northern CA.
Also, I live in so cal and do not experience dirty, gangs, violence.

Regardless, migration to desired areas has, throughout history, created boom and bust cycles. It seems to be part of the human condition-move for opportunity or a better life, though perhaps you end up creating the opposite...

Old 02-15-2014, 08:15 PM

206 posts, read 333,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkaboutcda View Post
I grew up in Stevens county and now live in CDA. Most of what you said was correct but "better weather" made me laugh. There really is very little difference in the weather in NE WA and North Idaho. Same old freeze and thaw in the winter and nice warm summers.
Walkaboutcda, yes, I suppose it's relative to which part of NE Washington one's referring to. Lots of micro-climates, but in general, Idaho does seem to get more snow. if you don't mind me asking, what prompted you to leave Stevens County for CDA?

Old 02-16-2014, 11:12 AM

159 posts, read 354,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jem22 View Post
Walkaboutcda, yes, I suppose it's relative to which part of NE Washington one's referring to. Lots of micro-climates, but in general, Idaho does seem to get more snow. if you don't mind me asking, what prompted you to leave Stevens County for CDA?
I didn't come directly to CDA. I've also lived in Spokane, Mead, and a few miles outside of Cheney. I left Stevens county for school and work.

Old 02-28-2014, 11:27 AM

2 posts, read 6,263 times
Thanks for the welcome. I am glad to know that the perc test is performed when the building permit is issued,not when the land is sold. Between the perc test and the well drilling/availability, we are having a hard time determining price on his property.
The prices vary widely with the utility availability, water and septic suitability. I have worked in real estate for 35 years, but in Utah, so Idaho is a bit different.

Old 02-28-2014, 06:02 PM

7,383 posts, read 12,675,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginidaho View Post
Thanks for the welcome. I am glad to know that the perc test is performed when the building permit is issued,not when the land is sold. Between the perc test and the well drilling/availability, we are having a hard time determining price on his property.
The prices vary widely with the utility availability, water and septic suitability. I have worked in real estate for 35 years, but in Utah, so Idaho is a bit different.
So you're helping someone sell his property? You may want to send a DM to our member Shaner who is a real estate agent in Coeur d'Alene. He is extremely helpful with NID specifics.

Old 03-01-2014, 01:20 PM

235 posts, read 375,666 times
We just received some requested info from the Sandpoint Chamber of Commerce in anticipation of our (fingers crossed) summer trip to Idaho. I checked out some of the charter fishing companies for the lake, as well, because hubby wants to fish BAD!! I'm hoping that plans go forward because I need to bring back a case of huckleberry anything! Of course we'll be spending time in CDA too. Maybe I'd better request some charter fishing info from their Chamber. All I'd like to do is relax, check some properties out, spot some wildlife, and simply enjoy the entire experience.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:24 PM

186 posts, read 240,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage of Sagle View Post
Exactly! And don't forget the nazi skinheads running rampant, we haven't even BEGUN to talk about those guys yet! People really shouldn't move here. I hear Wyoming and Utah are much nicer.

<end population control efforts>

Hi, Sage (and others)

I, too, am planning to retire and move to the CDA area. I realize the Aryan Nations group lost their Hayden Lake compound years ago. BUT, I've heard their ideology and general sentiments are very much alive and well, throughout the CDA area. I was wondering what your observations regarding this have been. There's absolutely no "wrong" answer (unless it's not accurate!). I'm just curious about that aspect of my future neighbors.

I have one more question. What can you tell me about apartment rentals (ballpark price ranges) in the CDA area? I'll probably want a 2 bdrm, quite possibly in Post Falls (convenient for the Spokane Mall and the Hooters Restaurant near the mall). I'll wanna have fun things to do, after I "pull the pin" (can't wait!).

Thanks for your time!

Old 06-03-2014, 11:19 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,841,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnw2016 View Post
BUT, I've heard their ideology and general sentiments are very much alive and well, throughout the CDA area.
You've heard this from? Sounds like another uninformed person sharing an opinion with you...I think you need to form your own opinion.

Old 06-04-2014, 09:34 AM

39,874 posts, read 26,521,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post
So, for calibration, even Kootenai county will feel extremely rural compared to SoCal. LA County population density is 2,420/square mile, and Kootenai County is 111. Bonner County is 24. It's a very different world up there compared to SoCal.
Man, that's just sick. How do people live that way?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho