Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 10:21 AM

5,341 posts, read 6,537,360 times

Advertisements

it's nice to see some quality bonding time
people spend with their children

After all you can never be to young to learn
the proper way to protest and

Youth March in Protest of SB 1070 (http://www.myfoxphoenix.com/dpp/news/immigration/youth-march-in-protest-of-sb-1070-07172010 - broken link)

I do wonder if the discussion of Illegal vs Legal ever
comes up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 10:33 AM

216 posts, read 234,859 times
When they asked her do you love this country? she replied its a nice country for now.
But the smrik with the answer says it too.
I feeel USED, ABUSED and taken ADVANTAGE of !
There was a time when an immigrant became american and truely thanked God for the chance to
live in this great country. very sad?

Old 07-18-2010, 10:52 AM

3,854 posts, read 4,843,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InThemiddleToo View Post
When they asked her do you love this country? she replied its a nice country for now.
But the smrik with the answer says it too.
I feeel USED, ABUSED and taken ADVANTAGE of !
There was a time when an immigrant became american and truely thanked God for the chance to
live in this great country. very sad?
You are holding a child to the understanding or an experienced person.
I cant remeber a great-burning love for America as a child...I remember learning to recite the Pledge of Alliegiance, but it was not until I fully understood what the words meant, did I understand what simple power were in those words. Love and appreciation comes with experience.

If you are staunchly opposed to illegal immigrants recieveing any quarter, then that is very understandable, but no one can blame a child for doing what the child believes is the right thing to do. with time, they will forumulate their own ideals and passions...lets hope one contuniues to be Politics and the other, expressing their views in a public forum for discourse.

Old 07-18-2010, 11:02 AM

5,341 posts, read 6,537,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
but no one can blame a child for doing what the child believes is the right thing to do.
What a child believes is usually directed by a parent
like common sense, following rules and laws so I still
wonder why they do not understand the difference
between Legal and Illegal...it's really that simple

Old 07-18-2010, 12:12 PM

216 posts, read 234,859 times
Quote:
You are holding a child to the understanding or an experienced person.
I cant remeber a great-burning love for America as a child...I remember learning to recite the Pledge of Alliegiance, but it was not until I fully understood what the words meant, did I understand what simple power were in those words. Love and appreciation comes with experience.

If you are staunchly opposed to illegal immigrants recieveing any quarter, then that is very understandable, but no one can blame a child for doing what the child believes is the right thing to do. with time, they will forumulate their own ideals and passions...lets hope one contuniues to be Politics and the other, expressing their views in a public forum for discourse.
Oh I am sorry, what this says is her parents and peers have taught her this , as you know or as they say love it or leave it.
Many times its a love of the old country you know missing home that is talked about . the old ways. but this case shes 15 a young almost adult, and you can bet if she had to live back in mexico her Love of the usa would change to being an honor.

Old 07-18-2010, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
What a child believes is usually directed by a parent
like common sense, following rules and laws so I still
wonder why they do not understand the difference
between Legal and Illegal...it's really that simple
this forum proves that many "adults" dont understand the complexities of US immigration policies, I wouldnt hold a child to the same understanding.

true common sense comes thru experience not teaching, or there would be common sense 101 in jr. high.

trying to teach right and wrong is basic parent-child relation, but not all subjcets can be identifed as just black and white...grey has to be explained as well.

The lessons of AZsb1070 cam be many, why is there any need to focus on your intrepatation of "legal vs. illegal"? there are many points to the law that as a parent I could use as a teaching point that have noting to with your "legal vs. illegal" box.

for instance, I could expalin to my child that AZ1070 prohibits people from soliciting work from the street or private business property. I could explain this is not valid and should not occur...How is that legal vs. illegal? it is a question of wheter a person can solicit work.

If the child understood this point and wished to say..."thats not right", how does expressing her right in protest, make her uninformed or lacking in common sense?

Old 07-18-2010, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InThemiddleToo View Post
Oh I am sorry, what this says is her parents and peers have taught her this , as you know or as they say love it or leave it.
Many times its a love of the old country you know missing home that is talked about . the old ways. but this case shes 15 a young almost adult, and you can bet if she had to live back in mexico her Love of the usa would change to being an honor.
Im not focused on the paticipants in the video, Im speaking of children protesting in general on this cause or any other. to focus on what one child said and hold every child there to thier remarks is shortsighted.

focus on what you would teach your child or grandchild in this occasion.

Im not debating the video, im debating the concept.

Old 07-18-2010, 03:06 PM

50,491 posts, read 47,270,331 times
I wonder if these kids will someday understand the laws their parents broke to get them onto the free social service train? That to obtain a better life many break laws to obtain it on the backs of others.

Old 07-18-2010, 03:12 PM

8,655 posts, read 10,190,572 times
Quote:
this forum proves that many "adults" dont understand the complexities of US immigration policies, I wouldnt hold a child to the same understanding.

true common sense comes thru experience not teaching, or there would be common sense 101 in jr. high.

trying to teach right and wrong is basic parent-child relation, but not all subjcets can be identifed as just black and white...grey has to be explained as well.

The lessons of AZsb1070 cam be many, why is there any need to focus on your intrepatation of "legal vs. illegal"? there are many points to the law that as a parent I could use as a teaching point that have noting to with your "legal vs. illegal" box.

for instance, I could expalin to my child that AZ1070 prohibits people from soliciting work from the street or private business property. I could explain this is not valid and should not occur...How is that legal vs. illegal? it is a question of wheter a person can solicit work.

If the child understood this point and wished to say..."thats not right", how does expressing her right in protest, make her uninformed or lacking in common sense?
Parents are responsible for teaching their children right from wrong. When it comes to the illegal immigration issue, there is no gray area. Entering this country illegally is a crime and is wrong. If the parents are not taking responsibility for their own actions and blaming others for their irresponsibilities, no lesson is being passed on to the child.

Old 07-18-2010, 03:14 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,526,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I wonder if these kids will someday understand the laws their parents broke to get them onto the free social service train? That to obtain a better life many break laws to obtain it on the backs of others.
I think in the long run parents are better off and so are the children if the truth is told to them. They broke a law for a better life, they are illegals, later in life the understanding will come and the direction the child takes will be based on life events and truth and not based on lies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration