Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 04:59 AM

3,875 posts, read 3,870,020 times

Advertisements

I don't know about where you live but most Americans (even Homeless ones) are not selling Coconut drinks,burnt Corn on a stick,oranges and tamales by the freeway and neighborhoods all around S. California.

I'll give hem that , most homeless I've met would rather panhandle and seem to always have money for beer and cigarettes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2011, 09:26 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,680,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
If they ARE an alien.

By the way, you don't have to be a U.S. citizen to get a driver's license. Maybe if you had to, then it wouldn't be an issue, but foreign nationals are quite capable of getting one of those.
Oh I'm fully aware of that - NM hands out drivers licenses to illegals all the time - and they don't even have to be residing illegally in NM but can live anywhere. In fact they can still be living in Mexico and easily obtain a NM drivers license to help make the frequent border crossing smooth.

But most states do associate their drivers license with citizenship or legal residency so the drivers license should be a fairly good indicator and obviously we're expected to show it to the policeman who pulls us over. Obviously having no drivers license or a NM drivers license is a good first hint that you might not be here legally.

Old 01-08-2011, 09:34 AM

550 posts, read 1,355,578 times
East Charlotte along Central Ave. has a ton of hispanics. Don't know how many are illegal but my guess would be 5-10% minimum.

Old 01-08-2011, 09:39 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,490,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
That is just utter nonsense and you know it. I have been pulled over for a burnt out tail light and for not coming to a complete stop at a stop sign and I am as white as snow and I live where there are a lot of Hispanics.

Get off the victim mentality bandwagon. Hispanics are not being racially profiled. Proof of whether you belong her or not is not required at these traffic stops, only a valid DL. If one can produce that then they are sent on their merry way after the citation is issued regardless of your ethnicity.
No joking there. Ive been stopped by the cops several times. For things like speeding, burned out headlight. Till the cop walked to my car, he had no way to see what my heritage was.

Old 01-08-2011, 09:41 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,490,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Oh I'm fully aware of that - NM hands out drivers licenses to illegals all the time - and they don't even have to be residing illegally in NM but can live anywhere. In fact they can still be living in Mexico and easily obtain a NM drivers license to help make the frequent border crossing smooth.

But most states do associate their drivers license with citizenship or legal residency so the drivers license should be a fairly good indicator and obviously we're expected to show it to the policeman who pulls us over. Obviously having no drivers license or a NM drivers license is a good first hint that you might not be here legally.
Yeppers. NM, Wash and Utah still have those crackerjack box licenses. Not here in AZ!

Old 01-08-2011, 09:41 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,680,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tban View Post
East Charlotte along Central Ave. has a ton of hispanics. Don't know how many are illegal but my guess would be 5-10% minimum.
It's probably much higher than that. Over half "hispanics" in the USA are here illegally.

If they cannot speak any English and are working low-wage jobs, very likely they're here illegally. Also there's no reason to suspect that entire neighborhoods of American-hispanics who have lived here for decades or centuries just decided to pack up and move to new areas.

American-hispanics relocate in the USA just like other Americans. They get job transfers or move for the same reasons as other Americans. They don't just go en-masse to some other region with whole neighborhoods popping up over-night. Just like other Americans, they tend to relocate individually. When it seems an entire village has showed up almost overnight - that indicates illegals moving in.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:38 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,424,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It's probably much higher than that. Over half "hispanics" in the USA are here illegally.

If they cannot speak any English and are working low-wage jobs, very likely they're here illegally. Also there's no reason to suspect that entire neighborhoods of American-hispanics who have lived here for decades or centuries just decided to pack up and move to new areas.

American-hispanics relocate in the USA just like other Americans. They get job transfers or move for the same reasons as other Americans. They don't just go en-masse to some other region with whole neighborhoods popping up over-night. Just like other Americans, they tend to relocate individually. When it seems an entire village has showed up almost overnight - that indicates illegals moving in.
Excellent point. I just let a neighborhood like that. When I moved there(1982) it was all home and business owners. I left in 2007 and if you go to that neighborhood today, all you'll see is spanish eyes.

Old 01-08-2011, 11:42 AM

6,612 posts, read 12,838,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
If they ARE an alien.

By the way, you don't have to be a U.S. citizen to get a driver's license. Maybe if you had to, then it wouldn't be an issue, but foreign nationals are quite capable of getting one of those.
You don't have to be a citizen, but you are supposed to be a LEGAL resident, in all but 3 states.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:14 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,627,836 times
I haven't read the whole thread but I wanted to say, I am here in Central Fl and the Hispanic population is huge, huge, huge. Here in my county, it was very agriculture related for many years and illegals congregated here.
Then, as agriculture gave way to development, they moved in the construction trades. Legal residents here were having to go out of state to find work in construction because of all the Hispanics in construction at lower wages (and much shoddier work). If you go to my local, small WalMart on the weekend, it is 75 % Hispanic, most young with 5-6 small children trailing along and quite often, food stamps seem to be in play.....

Very sad for the people that have lived here all of their lives and are having to leave because someone who is here illegally is reaping benefits and taking the jobs. Do I have sympathy for the illegals....? No.

Old 01-08-2011, 11:11 PM

105 posts, read 298,081 times
Thanks for posts everyone...keep them coming...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration