Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 09:45 AM

3,854 posts, read 4,838,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Because so many farmers hire illegal alien Spanish speakers, that's why. They want the workers to be able to communicate with one another and for there not to be an ethnic clash. How welcomed would you feel if you worked with strictly mono-Chinese speaking co-workers? It is the same reason that you see so many employment ads for bi-lingual workers on other jobs. They want a cohesive workforce and in the public sector to be able to communicate with mono-lingual Spanish speakers who are usually illegals.

The farmers who don't speak Spanish have Spanish speaker supervisors who hire these illegals. The farmers don't care about language they only care about making more money. Same goes for other jobs that illegals hold.
Thats why...what? You think this or can you prove it...Let me guess?

No American Cirtizen farm worker is hendered through any other workers speech/language. No lawsuit has ever been filed by any American citizen farm worker that he was unable to communicate with his supervisors or co-workers in English.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2011, 09:52 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,326,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
Thats why...what? You think this or can you prove it...Let me guess?

No American Cirtizen farm worker is hendered through any other workers speech/language. No lawsuit has ever been filed by any American citizen farm worker that he was unable to communicate with his supervisors or co-workers in English.

Oh come on now. Who do you see bending over in those fields picking crops everywhere you go? It isn't mostly white or black people. The eyes reveal the truth.

I didn't say that a non-hispanic citizen is hindered from applying for those jobs but those who do won't get them for the reasons I already posted. Same thing goes on other jobs where both legal and illegal Spanish speaking workers are preferred. A non-Spanish speaking person doesn't have a chance. Of course it is hard to prove because the employer will just make an excuse that doesn't fall under descrimination but we know that they do it.

Again, why the constant harping about farm work by the pro-illegals? They avoid the fact that most other jobs an American will do but are being taken by illegals and or Spanish speakers.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:55 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,772,243 times
Quote:
Why do you refuse to discuss the other jobs that Americans will do???????????????
Because its off thread. This is a farm related thread. Read H2A requirements. It costs more to have H2A employees than American legal employees. The farming industry doesn't get to set the prices thier products sell for. Wall street does that. Show me rich individual farmers (not corporate owned multi-farms). Take the blinders off. You've got to look at the whole picture. Here are some links to read. You can't enforce laws that have no one to enforce them. Its pretty bad when you need a law to require companies to follow a law then make it a self-enforcing law (read the links , you'll understand).

USA - Shortage of slaughterhouses

We say no to illegal immigrants, yet we help them stay - Featured Stories - Modbee.com (http://www.modbee.com/2010/11/13/1428720/we-say-no-to-illegal-immigrants.html - broken link)

Labor: thefoodtimes - all consuming news

I'll give you an off thread situation to think about. In my state there is law to protect citizens from dishonest auto repair shops. when you read the law and all its subsections it sounds like it covers all the points very well until you get to the last line that states its a self policeing law and inspections will be be done if complaints are recieved. Still not to bad to have an inspection clause. So you'd think the agency in charge of enforcing this law would be the Dept of Consumer affairs. Nope. Its the Dept of forestry and there is ONE inspector for the entire state ( I contacted the state governor and he stated in a letter to me to contact the state legislators). Does this open your eyes to look at the larger picture?

Old 01-12-2011, 10:01 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,326,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
Because its off thread. This is a farm related thread. Read H2A requirements. It costs more to have H2A employees than American legal employees. The farming industry doesn't get to set the prices thier products sell for. Wall street does that. Show me rich individual farmers (not corporate owned multi-farms). Take the blinders off. You've got to look at the whole picture. Here are some links to read. You can't enforce laws that have no one to enforce them. Its pretty bad when you need a law to require companies to follow a law then make it a self-enforcing law (read the links , you'll understand).

USA - Shortage of slaughterhouses

We say no to illegal immigrants, yet we help them stay - Featured Stories - Modbee.com (http://www.modbee.com/2010/11/13/1428720/we-say-no-to-illegal-immigrants.html - broken link)

Labor: thefoodtimes - all consuming news

I'll give you an off thread situation to think about. In my state there is law to protect citizens from dishonest auto repair shops. when you read the law and all its subsections it sounds like it covers all the points very well until you get to the last line that states its a self policeing law and inspections will be be done if complaints are recieved. Still not to bad to have an inspection clause. So you'd think the agency in charge of enforcing this law would be the Dept of Consumer affairs. Nope. Its the Dept of forestry and there is ONE inspector for the entire state ( I contacted the state governor and he stated in a letter to me to contact the state legislators). Does this open your eyes to look at the larger picture?
And you say I am off topic? The point is that all American business owners know what the laws are in regards to labor and hiring practices. None of them have the right to circumvent them even if they aren't enforced properly. If the cost of doing business the legal way is too high for them then perhaps they should go out of business. There are plenty of farmers and other business owners that stay in business while following our laws.

Old 01-12-2011, 10:48 AM

50,347 posts, read 47,099,157 times
If a business can't do business legally, it should fail.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:02 AM

2,205 posts, read 2,537,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
That’s it in a nutshell. They ONLY want illegal workers. This is prevalent in several industries, particularly, in the service sector. I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again, if they ever change the laws and start issuing driver’s licenses to illegals, truckers will join the ranks of the so-called jobs “Americans won’t do.” The Teamsters won’t stop it. As long as illegals pay dues, that’s all that matters.

Look at the SEIU and its burgeoning illegal membership. That’s precisely why they’re advocates for CIR and all pro-illegal agendas, and why they oppose E-Verify and other enforcement measures. In fact, they probably have a greater vested interest in illegal immigration than La Raza. Folks had better wake up.

Of course when they refer to “immigrants” they actually mean illegal aliens. Legal immigrants don’t need amnesty, and are already protected by our labor laws.

SEIU to refocus under Henry - TheHill.com

The following link says it all. . .

SEIU - Service Employees International Union - immigration
Sorry to sway off topic but the links provided are an outrage! What is wrong with these people? I understand the politics of it but what about the moral obligation to THIS Country! Despicable.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:17 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,572,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getout View Post
Sorry to sway off topic but the links provided are an outrage! What is wrong with these people? I understand the politics of it but what about the moral obligation to THIS Country! Despicable.
It is despicable. Sadly, they only see $$$$. Greed will ultimately destroy this country.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:20 AM

2,794 posts, read 3,679,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
What they mean is they don't want to have to PAY for visas for LEGAL seasonal migrant workers nor follow the steps required to ensure these workers don't just come here legally then STAY here.

Farm Lobbying Group Cautions States on Immigration - ABC News
In my opinion, that has more to do with current and less effective public policy decisions regarding work visas. A more market friendly work visa could solve that problem, end our illegal problem via market friendly means, and generate revenue that could be used to fund social safety nets (such as unemployment compensation on an at-will basis for US labor).

Old 01-12-2011, 11:39 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,572,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielpalos View Post
In my opinion, that has more to do with current and less effective public policy decisions regarding work visas. A more market friendly work visa could solve that problem, end our illegal problem via market friendly means, and generate revenue that could be used to fund social safety nets (such as unemployment compensation on an at-will basis for US labor).
Did you watch the video I posted? If so, you would realize it isn’t an issue of visas. It’s greed, period. They want cheap labor, and nothing else will suffice. Changing laws will not change their mindset.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:49 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,772,243 times
Quote:
If the cost of doing business the legal way is too high for them then perhaps they should go out of business.
And there sits the problem. Why do you think the largest group to get a tax audit by the federal gov't is small business?

Quote:
There are plenty of farmers and other business owners that stay in business while following our laws.
There are plenty of small farmers and other business owners that stay in business while following our laws.

And everyday they are shuttering their doors. They can't compete with the corporate level that have the cash flow to pay the fines and stay in business.

There is no nation, company or person that follows every law to the letter. Everyone does, its just to what extent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration