Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 05:29 PM

951 posts, read 745,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
My opinion of illegal aliens has no bearing on the veracity, or lack thereof, of the Census data.
Funny considering you just claimed you believed they couldn't be trusted and would either 1. lie on it or 2. not turn it in

Quote:
The absence of immigration status on their questionnaire makes their data on illegal immigration a guesstimate. Nothing more.
This is of course still wrong.

Old 07-23-2011, 05:29 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,208,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huddledmasses View Post
Well geez then it shouldn't be hard for you or Benicar to discredit that study I posted since that is what this thread is about.
Why bother discrediting a study that is flawed?

Why don't YOU prove from other reputable sources the study isn't flawed, then we'll have a discussion........

Old 07-23-2011, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Why bother discrediting a study that is flawed?

Why don't YOU prove from other reputable sources the study isn't flawed, then we'll have a discussion........
I didn't start a thread in which I wanted to disprove all these bogus studies. Your trolling is just making your side look even sillier btw.

Also, from the study I linked:

Quote:
According to estimates from the Department of Homeland Security, 10.8 million unauthorized immigrants were living in the United States in January 2009, compared with 11.8 million in 2007, the peak number for the decade. These estimates are consistent with the Pew Hispanic Center estimates.
So since they are pretty consistent I guess that's two studies to refute now.

Old 07-23-2011, 05:35 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,570,776 times
Quote:
Oh yeah back when you were claiming the PEW couldn't figure out the illegal population because the Census DIDN'T HAVE A CHECKBOX FOR THAT!!! It's tough to keep up when you change arguments like a crack head changes conversation topics.
I never mentioned a check box. I said they do not include immigration status on their questionnaire.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I have not made this personal. Nor have I implied that you were retarded, a crack head, or stated anything that could be construed as denigrating or insulting. If you cannot debate this issue with maturity and civility, I suggest you move along.

Old 07-23-2011, 05:44 PM

Quote:
I never mentioned a check box. I said they do not include immigration status on their questionnaire.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I have not made this personal. Nor have I implied that you were retarded, a crack head, or stated anything that could be construed as denigrating or insulting. If you cannot debate this issue with maturity and civility, I suggest you move along.
Well the census bureau actually has a check box for native or foreign-born which is what it a legal/illegal question would probably be as well. I don't even know what your point is......

Quote:
The use of a native or foreign-born check box in the question may have had some impact for prompting people to report a place of birth.
Evaluating Components of International Migration: Quality of Foreign-Born and Hispanic Population Data

Old 07-23-2011, 05:50 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
Many of the illegals live in the shadows to begin with and just try to blend in.
And some here think they fill out the census form with their name, address and the fact that they are illegal and then send it in to the FedGov ? ROFL.

Old 07-23-2011, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Many of the illegals live in the shadows to begin with and just try to blend in.
And some here think they fill out the census form with their name, address and the fact that they are illegal and then send it in to the FedGov ? ROFL.
Well, it's obvious you didn't even read the OP, and at least 90% of Benicar's other posts itt. They all mentioned that the census doesn't ask for legal/illegal status.

Old 07-23-2011, 06:04 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,570,776 times
Quote:
Well the census bureau actually has a check box for native or foreign-born which is what it a legal/illegal question would probably be as well. I don't even know what your point is......

Evaluating Components of International Migration: Quality of Foreign-Born and Hispanic Population Data
My point: The current system is not designed to identify or enumerate the illegal alien population. And, attempts to include immigration status were denied. Therefore, at best, their estimates are pure speculation, and cannot be considered accurate. In fact, the same method was used to estimate the number of illegals for the 1986 amnesty. They grossly miscalculated. According to Census data, we had approximately 1 million illegal aliens in this country. In reality, there were more than 3 million. Without modifying their questionnaire, or devising another method to identify the illegal alien population, they will continue to yield similar results.

I have explained, to the best of my ability, why I believe their data is flawed. It is certainly your prerogative to believe their reports, as it is mine to choose not.

Old 07-23-2011, 06:07 PM

You haven't even explained how the PEW study got their results yet or explained with evidence, why it is a bogus study. I had to explain the methodology to you once and I still don't think you get it considering this last post you just made.

Old 07-23-2011, 06:13 PM

Quote:
My point: The current system is not designed to identify or enumerate the illegal alien population. And, attempts to include immigration status were denied. Therefore, at best, their estimates are pure speculation, and cannot be considered accurate. In fact, the same method was used to estimate the number of illegals for the 1986 amnesty. They grossly miscalculated. According to Census data, we had approximately 1 million illegal aliens in this country. In reality, there were more than 3 million. Without modifying their questionnaire, or devising another method to identify the illegal alien population, they will continue to yield similar results.

I have explained, to the best of my ability, why I believe their data is flawed. It is certainly your prerogative to believe their reports, as it is mine to choose not.
Who's data was this? You don't trust government data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration