Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 06:59 AM

1,485 posts, read 4,158,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post
No, the nation is too big and too rich.
I agree. The huge divide in wealth and the fact that the rich and powerful can control anything including existing laws means that as long as they dont suffer it most likley wont happen.

another reason is that noone cares about the future which is really the biggest aspect of the issue. People dont care enough about their kids future.

I think there is a chance but the above points seem to be and will stop it. I would hate to see violence in our own country but what are other effective options? Voting, emailing and phone calls dont seem to do anything since the US just does something to contradict their response to the public and keep it quite (like allowing mexican trucks into the US VERY SOON)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2007, 09:24 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,510,508 times
I don't know about a civil war but I do have a comment on the racial divide. As far as those that are looking at hispanics "differently" due to the huge influx of illegals I think we can blame the government in part. Had the government been enforcing the laws we have on illegal entry to this country it wouldn't have come to this. Now people are getting fed up and some hispanics are taking the hit. Many legal hispanics I know don't like the huge influx of illegals either. They are here legally and don't want to get lumped together with the illegals. Had the government enforced laws over the last few decades it wouldn't have come to this.

Old 08-31-2007, 10:00 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,567,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crittersitter View Post
I don't know about a civil war but I do have a comment on the racial divide. As far as those that are looking at hispanics "differently" due to the huge influx of illegals I think we can blame the government in part. Had the government been enforcing the laws we have on illegal entry to this country it wouldn't have come to this. Now people are getting fed up and some hispanics are taking the hit. Many legal hispanics I know don't like the huge influx of illegals either. They are here legally and don't want to get lumped together with the illegals. Had the government enforced laws over the last few decades it wouldn't have come to this.
This is exactly what I've alluded to for years--if you don't clear up a problem with common sense, maybe "stepping on a few toes" and risking a little disagreement, the problem doesn't go away; it festers until it HAS to be cleared up, and it's going to take a lot more than "stepping on toes" to do it, and, in the final irony of all, the people whom you might have made "mad" originally, are now going to be a WHOLE LOT MADDER !...
In short, ignoring this stuff doesn't make it go away, it makes it worse. Look at the mess we're in now.

Good post----

Old 08-31-2007, 04:56 PM

799 posts, read 2,170,402 times
It's not about race.
Mexicans aren't a race, they are a nationality.
It isn't even about them being Mexican.
It is about the largest influx of one group of people here illegally. Most of us wanted the US to pretty much stay the way it was.

Old 08-31-2007, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twixcookie View Post
It's not about race.

Most of us wanted the US to pretty much stay the way it was.
Well, twixcookie, I hate to "rain on your parade", but there are quite a number of people who would differ with you--these folks insist that it really IS about race. In fact, they'd say that your wanting the US to "stay the way it was" was ALSO a statement that's "about race". In fact, many of these folks do NOT want the U.S. to stay the way it is, and they look forward to any change as, by definition, a "good" thing, a long as it the U.S. ends up being not "like it was".
There is no negative change, no economic upheaval, no weakening of the middle class, and no erosion of our national security or sovereignty that is not worth the wonderful new experience we'll all have as America "changes"--and the quicker, the better. The "new" folks will come in all colors, and, if we play our cards right, we'll convince them to hang on to their various "colorful" cultures. Gosh, we sure wouldn't want them to feel they had to assimilate, and betray all the things that make them so "unique". In some folks' minds, ANY change is a good change......and that's what they're working toward.

Old 08-31-2007, 07:10 PM

764 posts, read 1,458,041 times
If the next election brings in gov’t too far left or too far right in political ideology, I believe there will be much more migration of people to various regions and States within America. Migration will be tougher with gov’t too far right (neoconish) because it is a top priority with that philosophy to have a gigantic labor pool into which to dip and pull out what it considers useful for particular purposes. But for such a system to work, the middle class must be minimized to the greatest extent possible so that fear of significant economic struggle is constantly looming in the minds of the labor pool. In that way, people can be more easily manipulated for gain by the ruling class. Legal and illegal immigration can be used to help minimize the middle class and increase significantly the size of the labor pool and that in turn will increase fear of job loss in the minds of the working.

If there is significant migration over the next four to eight years, it’s possible we may see some degree of resistance by various States to US gov't empowerments, and reclamation, with or without approval of those godlike creatures in central government, of powers previously usurped. We already know, or certainly should know, that intra-State and combined inter-State we are more capable of protecting ourselves from foreign enemies than the present administration is.

It isn’t necessary to have civil war to make those major changes that require our highest priority, and it seems illogical to expect to achieve from war the goals that might have been originally set forth. And for those who want immigrants, legal or otherwise, from south of the border to increase their profits—because they lack the creativity to make such increases using American citizens already here—moving their businesses to the States bordering Mexico should be their highest priority. The other States can decide whether or not they wish to purchase from or sell to immigrant-driven businesses. Additionally, each of the other States can make their own laws as to how to handle immigrants’ movements intra-State. Making choices as to one’s customers and suppliers is not interference in inter-State commerce; it is merely capitalism at work.

Old 08-31-2007, 08:09 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,221,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artvandelay View Post
I don't know when exactly the illegal immigration debate became the big topic it is, I think it was a single senator who brought it up as a problem.

But I haven't seen this much conflict with race/legal status before in my lifetime (I am 35).

I understand the desire or outright need for a worker to come into the US illegally for the benefit of his or family, but I also don't want to encounter the portion of illegals who are criminals because of desperation or just disrespect for the law. What I don't understand is why our government, which is mostly a big business mouthpiece, claims to want to end illegal immigration, while at the same time admitting they need it. That's like saying "Get lost........hold on, can you do this job for me, then get lost? I might need you again later, so be ready"

An unfortunate fallout of illegal immigration is the treatment endured by the legal Spanish speaking population. I feel bad that any law-abiding person gets clustered with law-breakers and must deal with scorn as if they did something wrong.

I want to hear some opinions: Do you think a civil war type conflict is a possibility, with all the hatred and opposing agendas at play?
Nah... we're all just slowly boiled frogs.

Old 08-31-2007, 09:39 PM

799 posts, read 2,170,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Well, twixcookie, I hate to "rain on your parade", but there are quite a number of people who would differ with you--these folks insist that it really IS about race. In fact, they'd say that your wanting the US to "stay the way it was" was ALSO a statement that's "about race". In fact, many of these folks do NOT want the U.S. to stay the way it is, and they look forward to any change as, by definition, a "good" thing, a long as it the U.S. ends up being not "like it was".
There is no negative change, no economic upheaval, no weakening of the middle class, and no erosion of our national security or sovereignty that is not worth the wonderful new experience we'll all have as America "changes"--and the quicker, the better. The "new" folks will come in all colors, and, if we play our cards right, we'll convince them to hang on to their various "colorful" cultures. Gosh, we sure wouldn't want them to feel they had to assimilate, and betray all the things that make them so "unique". In some folks' minds, ANY change is a good change......and that's what they're working toward.
There is no negative change, no economic upheaval, no weakening of the middle class, and no erosion of our national security or sovereignty that is not worth the wonderful new experience we'll all have as America "changes"--and the quicker, the better. What are you, a Communist? Jeesh? Hoards of people have come to America, because we have a Middle Class. Something is really bugging you, that you would want to destroy what is here, because there is a tsunami of people coming here for what we have.
The new folks will come in all colors? We have races here in America now, and I will say it again, Mexicans aren't a race. I don't see them hanging onto "colorful cultures"....they don't want to assimiliate. Big difference. You mention race, but then, you want to get rid of race, by making everyone the SAME. Then you talk about customs and culture, but you want everyone to be the same, to eliminate differences.
Any change is good? Since when? The people who want to undo what we have here are the ones who have a different agenda than what the Constitution of the United States is about. I suggest you read that document.

Old 08-31-2007, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twixcookie View Post
There is no negative change, no economic upheaval, no weakening of the middle class, and no erosion of our national security or sovereignty that is not worth the wonderful new experience we'll all have as America "changes"--and the quicker, the better. What are you, a Communist? Jeesh? Hoards of people have come to America, because we have a Middle Class. Something is really bugging you, that you would want to destroy what is here, because there is a tsunami of people coming here for what we have.
The new folks will come in all colors? We have races here in America now, and I will say it again, Mexicans aren't a race. I don't see them hanging onto "colorful cultures"....they don't want to assimiliate. Big difference. You mention race, but then, you want to get rid of race, by making everyone the SAME. Then you talk about customs and culture, but you want everyone to be the same, to eliminate differences.
Any change is good? Since when? The people who want to undo what we have here are the ones who have a different agenda than what the Constitution of the United States is about. I suggest you read that document.
Please calm down---this does it--I'm out of the "sarcasm" business. Please read my post over again. Read it very S-L-O-W-L-Y....Read it in its entirety. Try and get my meaning, and try to see my point of view---(hint--it's about 180 degrees from what you think it is)---

I give up. Gardening forum, here I come.........

Old 08-31-2007, 09:45 PM

253 posts, read 1,741,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post
No, the nation is too big and too rich.
The civil war can be started with a pen and paper (or click of the mouse). STOP PAYING FEDERAL INCOME TAXES, people. Everyone, right now. Hit the 'Brother where it hurts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration