Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 11:34 PM

799 posts, read 2,170,972 times

Advertisements

The fight will not be between the illegals and us. It will be between the American Taxpayer and our government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2007, 02:02 AM

7,731 posts, read 13,441,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artvandelay View Post
I don't know when exactly the illegal immigration debate became the big topic it is, I think it was a single senator who brought it up as a problem.

But I haven't seen this much conflict with race/legal status before in my lifetime (I am 35).

I understand the desire or outright need for a worker to come into the US illegally for the benefit of his or family, but I also don't want to encounter the portion of illegals who are criminals because of desperation or just disrespect for the law. What I don't understand is why our government, which is mostly a big business mouthpiece, claims to want to end illegal immigration, while at the same time admitting they need it. That's like saying "Get lost........hold on, can you do this job for me, then get lost? I might need you again later, so be ready"

An unfortunate fallout of illegal immigration is the treatment endured by the legal Spanish speaking population. I feel bad that any law-abiding person gets clustered with law-breakers and must deal with scorn as if they did something wrong.

I want to hear some opinions: Do you think a civil war type conflict is a possibility, with all the hatred and opposing agendas at play?
Let's hope not.

Old 09-04-2007, 06:27 AM

1,211 posts, read 1,499,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twixcookie View Post
The fight will not be between the illegals and us. It will be between the American Taxpayer and our government.
The illegals will run and hide wile Americans are shooting each other,

Can I have a bite of your cookie

Old 09-04-2007, 06:41 AM

799 posts, read 2,170,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkman18 View Post
The illegals will run and hide wile Americans are shooting each other,

Can I have a bite of your cookie
Yep, they will get the spoils...but not any of my twixcookie bar.
Have a bite!

Old 02-02-2009, 07:56 AM

13,621 posts, read 12,748,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo-me View Post
I'm not sure all these illegal latinos are a bad thing. You got to admit, cheap labor is good for the economy. Their position is really no different than the pre-1960 negro. They will be segregated in to their own locales and we probably won't have much interaction with them, but will benifit from their cheap productivity.
we need to find beter solutions than cheap labour! all that will bring to the united states in the long run is more poverty crime environmental -degradation -and -racial -segregation and tension.. just look at china do you want this country to be like them. cause that were we are heading.

Old 02-02-2009, 12:56 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,923,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
we need to find beter solutions than cheap labour! all that will bring to the united states in the long run is more poverty crime environmental -degradation -and -racial -segregation and tension.. just look at china do you want this country to be like them. cause that were we are heading.
Oh you mean we are heading to huge economic growth rates (well up until very recently) and hardly any racial or cultural strife (China is 90+% Han)?
The problems in China are not caused by cheap labor-sure some of the workers may work in slave-like conditions which is terrible, but it is also fueling China's economic rise.

I do get your point but for the example you might want to pick country with a little less of a bright future. I agree that we, the US, can't afford to go with the cheap labor solution and let all these illegals stay. I think a more fitting analogy would be the Balkans where the U.S. might split into several groups.

Old 02-02-2009, 01:08 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,571,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
I do get your point but for the example you might want to pick country with a little less of a bright future. I agree that we, the US, can't afford to go with the cheap labor solution and let all these illegals stay. I think a more fitting analogy would be the Balkans where the U.S. might split into several groups.
I agree. Yugoslavia was once a perfectly respectable "up-and-coming" nation...not the BEST, but not too shabby, either. Had a high degree culture; and educated populace; 'modern conveniences' in many respects, etc. But it was an 'artificial society', like ours....comprised of various ethnicities and religions. Held together for a time under the 'iron rule' of dictator Tito, when he eventually passed away, the inhabitants were left to their own 'passions'. In a few years, they succeeded in destroying their country.

Yugoslavia was not a primitve place; and it was not brought down by outside invasion or aggression; it was brought down by its OWN PEOPLE, who decided they could no longer "stand" their next-door neighbors' cultures and 'habits'.

Now they don't HAVE a country to worry about. Mission accomplished.

Old 02-02-2009, 01:27 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,176,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I agree. Yugoslavia was once a perfectly respectable "up-and-coming" nation...not the BEST, but not too shabby, either. Had a high degree culture; and educated populace; 'modern conveniences' in many respects, etc. But it was an 'artificial society', like ours....comprised of various ethnicities and religions. Held together for a time under the 'iron rule' of dictator Tito, when he eventually passed away, the inhabitants were left to their own 'passions'. In a few years, they succeeded in destroying their country.

Yugoslavia was not a primitve place; and it was not brought down by outside invasion or aggression; it was brought down by its OWN PEOPLE, who decided they could no longer "stand" their next-door neighbors' cultures and 'habits'.

Now they don't HAVE a country to worry about. Mission accomplished.
Actually: the English language here still holds sway along with the Latin alphabet and; of course, federal laws across the land.

As for 'multiculturalism': that is showing signs of fading out due in large part to many illegal aliens (most of whom are some variety of Hispanic) leaving here in droves since life here for them is being uncomfortable---------to be polite.

Old 02-02-2009, 03:42 PM

217 posts, read 513,607 times
Quote:
As for 'multiculturalism': that is showing signs of fading out due in large part to many illegal aliens (most of whom are some variety of Hispanic) leaving here in droves since life here for them is being uncomfortable---------to be polite.
The only way illegal immigrants would return to their in country in large doves would be if Mexico and the Central American countires all became first world countries. But the day that happens is the day Barney Frank turns into a heterosexual. Mexicans/Central Americans can't even turn the barrios in the U.S that they live to look like a first world country let alone turn a nation of over 100 million people into a first world country. In 96% Hispanic East Los Angeles for example, only a mere 33% of the adult population graduated from high school. How pathetic is that.

Old 02-02-2009, 03:49 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,176,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Winchester View Post
The only way illegal immigrants would return to their in country in large doves would be if Mexico and the Central American countires all became first world countries. But the day that happens is the day Barney Frank turns into a heterosexual. Mexicans/Central Americans can't even turn the barrios in the U.S that they live to look like a first world country let alone turn a nation of over 100 million people into a first world country. In 96% Hispanic East Los Angeles for example, only a mere 33% of the adult population graduated from high school. How pathetic is that.
And; said illegals can also be forceably deported in large numbers as well.

Look at the economy here; no jobs tends to be quite the 'stimulus' for self deportation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration