Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 09:25 PM

387 posts, read 338,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Reigns View Post
What do you think I've been saying? If all 50 states implement something on the scale of Alabama or Arizona we could get maybe half of the overall population to self deport rather simply. The average family is 4, some more than 4 to as many as 6. Don't forget all the farm laborers as well. So if all 50 states, like I said earlier, were to implement these bills, approx. half of the illegal alien population would scatter out of the US. You might want to re-read my previous comments.
Let me try again. You multiplied 12,000 by 50 states and got a number of 6 milllion. That is wrong by a factor of ten.

If you think Alabama is prototypical you would get 600,000 out of state or out of country if you are irrationally optimistic. That is about 10% of the illegals leaving 90% in place.

A really severe recission in CA and TX would do a lot more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2011, 09:37 PM

2,475 posts, read 2,081,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by libertylover7 View Post
Let me try again. You multiplied 12,000 by 50 states and got a number of 6 milllion. That is wrong by a factor of ten.

If you think Alabama is prototypical you would get 600,000 out of state or out of country if you are irrationally optimistic. That is about 10% of the illegals leaving 90% in place.

A really severe recission in CA and TX would do a lot more.
I am aware that you are stuck on some added 0, you are missing the point to simply argue some math equation. My point was that if these laws have an effect to get them to scatter (leave the state) we may get as many as 1/2 to leave simply by enacting these laws nationwide. Even if it is as little as 10% leaving on their own that is a great savings to the US in costs, that's 3 times more than Government deportations per year which is 3% of the Population. Again my point is the more that will self deport based on laws, the better, that number can be anywhere from the 3% that are now being deported from capture up to maybe as much as 1/2 the population of illegals. That is a large amount of monies saved on deportation.

Old 12-28-2011, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Reigns View Post
I am aware that you are stuck on some added 0, you are missing the point to simply argue some math equation. My point was that if these laws have an effect to get them to scatter (leave the state) we may get as many as 1/2 to leave simply by enacting these laws nationwide. Even if it is as little as 10% leaving on their own that is a great savings to the US in costs, that's 3 times more than Government deportations per year which is 3% of the Population. Again my point is the more that will self deport based on laws, the better, that number can be anywhere from the 3% that are now being deported from capture up to maybe as much as 1/2 the population of illegals. That is a large amount of monies saved on deportation.
From the AZ example we have a result of -1%. From a very limited Alabama data set we have about a 5% reduction which may well turn out to be mostly economic as well.

Hey if we could get half to leave by snarling at them I would be right by your side on the snarl line.

Actually after you allow for the influx we may be only growing slowing. And that is after a 20% decrease in some of the more heavily involved states. I think it clear the illegals went where the jobs were...not out of the country.

Again if the economy did not get them all out of here other things are not going to either. Even if the states win at the USSC the illegals will simply adopt a more protective posture. We will force them from the withold side to the grey side.

We either have to throw them out or let them stay. Any other policy simply makes it worse. The grand question is whether we run out of Mexicans before it becomes a problem we have to deal with.

Old 12-28-2011, 07:28 PM

2,475 posts, read 2,081,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by libertylover7 View Post
Again if the economy did not get them all out of here other things are not going to either. Even if the states win at the USSC the illegals will simply adopt a more protective posture. We will force them from the withold side to the grey side.

We either have to throw them out or let them stay. Any other policy simply makes it worse. The grand question is whether we run out of Mexicans before it becomes a problem we have to deal with.
You seem to be implying that they must all leave at once, THAT ain't gonna happen. That's also not what is intended. However, as many left certain states for other job opportunities, just as many left the Country all together to go back home.
Quote:
It's estimated that about 300,000 illegal aliens have left California alone since 2008.
Experts say the weaker U.S. economy along with rising deportations and tougher border enforcement means fewer illegal aliens. But - there have also been significant improvements in Mexico's society.
Its economy is growing at 4-5% and, according to the UN, Mexico's average standard of living - which includes things like health, education and per capita income - is higher than in Russia, China and India.
Turns out Mexicans might just have better luck of achieving the American Dream south of the border.

http://caffertyfile.blogs.cnn.com/20...r-better-life/
So, our stronger enforcement definitely won't hurt us. In the long run it may equal out as Mexico's or for that matter Latin Americas economies increase and make life easier there, we will see a decline if not all out 0 illegal alien incoming.

Old 12-29-2011, 02:14 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,951,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFix View Post
Jobless rates are falling in 2/3 of all states as we are slowly recovering from the Great Bush Depression.

This has nothing to do with Alabama's immigration laws.
get back to us in february on the falling unemployment rate.

i say good for any state that takes action to try and reduce their unemployment rate.

obviously, if you have less people competing for jobs you will have more openings available, and, eventually, higher wages.

higher wages will translate into a more productive economy for that state.

let me add one concerning statistic when a country takes is forced to take the excess labor from another country :

the government debt to GDP ratio in mexico is 42.70 , while the US is 93.20-------in the year 2002 our debt to GDP ratio was only 56.4, so you can see how the US debt level is jumping in a relatively short period of time-not good.

the higher the debt ratio, the more likely the country will default on its debt-so you tell me which country has it right? the US has to stop being a safety valve for mexico's lack of caring for their uneducated/menial labor population.

Last edited by floridasandy; 12-29-2011 at 02:46 AM..

Old 12-29-2011, 05:36 PM

2,239 posts, read 3,237,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
More and more AMERICANS finding work once stolen by illegals. The tough illegal immigration laws implemented by the state are working.

Alabama is just one state trying to get a handle on their illegal problem, something the obama administration is bent on stopping.

Alabama Immigration Reform | Jobless Rate | Unemployment | The Daily Caller

This is good news indeed.

PUSH the illegals to those states that welcome them with open arms - CALIF, NY, IL...that is the plan.
LOL. AL is not the only state seeing increases in employment. TX and CA have added THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS of jobs. Neither have laws like AL. Nice try.

Old 12-29-2011, 06:51 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,350,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
LOL. AL is not the only state seeing increases in employment. TX and CA have added THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS of jobs. Neither have laws like AL. Nice try.
Really? Got a link for your assertions? I live in Calif. and our unemployment rate is very high. Whatever jobs have been added (but I don't know of any) can't begin to keep up with the population growth (much due to illegal immigration).

Old 12-29-2011, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Really? Got a link for your assertions? I live in Calif. and our unemployment rate is very high. Whatever jobs have been added (but I don't know of any) can't begin to keep up with the population growth (much due to illegal immigration).
Jeez...

California 233,000
Texas 226,000

California leads in 2010-11 job growth - Handling Hard Times : The Orange County Register

Old 12-30-2011, 07:11 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,142,814 times
The jobless rate fell in just about every state the last few months... what's the direct evidence of a correlation between the immigration law rather than just an improving national economy?

Old 12-30-2011, 09:43 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,788,529 times
Just as a quick point, Florida and Tennessee had an even steeper drop in unemployment that Alabama. Georgia (which has a similar immigration law) was about even with Alabama, lagging behind Florida and Tennessee.
Mississippi, which has an SB1070 style law (the 1st state to pass one after Arizona) that is more strict than either Alabama or Georgia, is the only state in the region whose unemployment did not drop this year.
If the Alabama, Georgia, and Mississippi laws are forcing illegals out to adjacent states, then why are Florida and Tennessee seeing bigger drops in unemployment than those 3 states?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration