Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 02:42 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,448,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
the problem is that naturalized citizens (i.e., the only foreign-born persons legally permitted to vote, with the exception of children of members of the armed services and diplomatic corps serving abroad) have to pass an english proficiency exam before they can take the oath of citizenship.
Does the "English proficiency test" have the same complexities of a debate on social security? Does the English proficiency test require the ability to understand and follow debates on funding of healthcare, schools, etc?

Half of the American-born population in this country can't follow complex political discussions, and you expect ESOL people to automatically know what's going on? I'd rather them be INFORMED voters in whatever language it takes them to get informed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik
therefore, anyone legitimately exercising the franchise should already be able to understand english well enough to grasp the sound-bites in which politicians speak, either because they were born here and it is their first language, or because they learned it in order to gain citizenship (among other reasons, i would imagine). there should be no reason to conduct presidential debates in any language other than english, unless the candidates anticipate that persons not authorized to vote will be doing so, and they are pandering to that fraudulent constituency.
That's fine, except that the debates were conducted in ENGLISH and translated into Spanish. If everyone in the audience stayed at home and watched the debate on TV, they'd be watching it in Spanish translation!

Do you think Univision plays the State of the Union address in English? Or do you think they translate it into SPanish for their viewers?

Old 09-12-2007, 09:11 PM

116 posts, read 372,757 times
Why is it in Spanish? They can't vote anyways ( legal Mexicans have to take tests proving competency in English) Maybe they can not understand everything but hey you can't cater to everyone.When I travel or spend time in others countires I do not expect to be catered to, why is this different? Funny thing is 10 years ago this would be out of the question.

Old 09-12-2007, 09:41 PM

42 posts, read 128,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
Maybe there's a lot of immigrants who are TRYING to learn English, but aren't proficient enough to comprehend a political debate in a second language (how many of you could do that, by the way)? I mean COME ON, Jesus Bartholomeu Christ is it really that big of a deal?
EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-12-2007, 09:46 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,689,458 times
It only took me 8 months to get the basics of German language, enough to understand most, but maybe not pronouce all. So what the legals that speak spanish that have been here for years , what are they just slow learners?

Old 09-13-2007, 08:24 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,511,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agility View Post
Why is it in Spanish? They can't vote anyways ( legal Mexicans have to take tests proving competency in English) Maybe they can not understand everything but hey you can't cater to everyone.When I travel or spend time in others countires I do not expect to be catered to, why is this different? Funny thing is 10 years ago this would be out of the question.
Exactly! How many other countries do you see catering to illegal aliens????? That's what it is, clear and simple. I certainly wouldn't expect to move to another country and not learn the language if I were to become a legal resident there. Come on folks, you must think we are dense. Wise up pinheads

Old 09-13-2007, 08:28 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,152,651 times
Jesus, people. Get out of your bubble. Or least come out in open with your hatred of those a little darker than you.

Either way grow up.

Old 09-13-2007, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
Jesus, people. Get out of your bubble. Or least come out in open with your hatred of those a little darker than you.

Either way grow up.
Oh lordy give the racist rap a rest, this has nothing to do with color of the skin!! GET A NEW LINE!!!!!!!

Old 09-13-2007, 08:44 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,152,651 times
Quote:
Oh lordy give the racist rap a rest, this has nothing to do with color of the skin!! GET A NEW LINE!!!!!!!
Nope, sorry I never brought it up until because none of you will be get of your ridiculous bubbles. Either get a clue or ****. You are the ones that need to a get a new line. Constantly in this thread alone, it is ASSUMED that everyone watching Univision is illegal. That's the first ridiculous and repeated BS from all of you then, it's "why Spanish" blah blah blah. It's their culture and that is a network that caters to it. It's a large audience. Grow up people.

Great work though of being part of the distraction machine which allows port security to be ignored (and off shored) and chemical and nuclear plants to be neglected…. And for this contrived issue to be misguided as the only way – the only way to curtail illegal immigration is to follow the money which idiots like Tancredo and other empty idiots will never ever do.

Old 09-13-2007, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
Nope, sorry I never brought it up until because none of you will be get of your ridiculous bubbles. Either get a clue or ****. You are the ones that need to a get a new line. Constantly in this thread alone, it is ASSUMED that everyone watching Univision is illegal. That's the first ridiculous and repeated BS from all of you then, it's "why Spanish" blah blah blah. It's their culture and that is a network that caters to it. It's a large audience. Grow up people.

Great work though of being part of the distraction machine which allows port security to be ignored (and off shored) and chemical and nuclear plants to be neglected…. And for this contrived issue to be misguided as the only way – the only way to curtail illegal immigration is to follow the money which idiots like Tancredo and other empty idiots will never ever do.
You just hate Americans, and America it is so obvious. And no I will not ****!!!! Sounds like someone has something dead up their a**!!
This is america, but hell why should they care. If you are here legally LEARN F***ing English for pete's sake!!! My family did!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No one catered to them!!!!!! Go Tancrendo and PAUL!!!

Old 09-13-2007, 09:49 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,527,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
You just hate Americans, and America it is so obvious. And no I will not ****!!!! Sounds like someone has something dead up their a**!!
This is america, but hell why should they care. If you are here legally LEARN F***ing English for pete's sake!!! My family did!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No one catered to them!!!!!! Go Tancrendo and PAUL!!!
"You just hate americans" that is a overly used line if I have ever heard one.

Nea1 has already admitted in another thread that she thinks all of the Mexicans in Phoenix would disrespect her..ALL of them.
You and your squad here generalize all hispanics to be illegals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration