Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 12:18 PM

50,269 posts, read 47,023,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
I don't think this involves sermons. However, when the controversial AZ law was making headlines, one of the provisions included in the law was making (at least some) churches uncomfortable: a threat of prosecution by the state government for knowingly allowing "illegal aliens" to be around. A pastor explicitly took offense to that idea, suggesting that the church doors are open to all. And that was the best thing I'd heard from a church in a long time.
We already had our Church pretty much scatter the congregation with this type of policy.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:36 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,813,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
We already had our Church pretty much scatter the congregation with this type of policy.
I see a point to the pastor's point. If Jesus were restricted from crossing the boundaries, the idea would be to villify the obstructionists.

Old 03-23-2012, 03:01 PM

2,475 posts, read 2,075,935 times
Quote:
I don't think this involves sermons. However, when the controversial AZ law was making headlines, one of the provisions included in the law was making (at least some) churches uncomfortable: a threat of prosecution by the state government for knowingly allowing "illegal aliens" to be around. A pastor explicitly took offense to that idea, suggesting that the church doors are open to all. And that was the best thing I'd heard from a church in a long time.
What I quoted was directly from the OP link and directly from the pastor of said church, hence why I questioned it. Why would a sermon cover illegal aliens or even be linked to them? There is nothing in the bible whatsoever that discusses illegal aliens. So, the equating out of context, Leviticus and a few other verses (stranger and alien), is what they attempt to use. Again, used out of context.

Last edited by Liquid Reigns; 03-23-2012 at 03:24 PM..

Old 04-03-2012, 01:34 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,666,331 times
Quote:
I see a point to the pastor's point. If Jesus were restricted from crossing the boundaries, the idea would be to villify the obstructionists.
Jesus also followed the rule of law

Old 04-03-2012, 01:48 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,846,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Jesus also followed the rule of law
Debate based on either side of that contention would take an eternity, under a variety of interpretations...

Old 04-03-2012, 02:07 PM

50,269 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
They are now freaking out that attendance is down and will actually have to close our sister church because of the policy.

Old 04-03-2012, 02:25 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,316,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Debate based on either side of that contention would take an eternity, under a variety of interpretations...
I think the 10 commandments are pretty clear and aren't up for interpretation.

Old 04-03-2012, 03:05 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,846,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
I think the 10 commandments are pretty clear and aren't up for interpretation.
Being that the Ten Commandments are Mosaic Law ("eye for an eye"), and that Jesus specifically subjugated them under new proclamations ("Love thy neighbor as thyself"), your (note the correct form) reply doesn't address how this topic is playing out...

Even the Ten Commandments have had differing interpretations:

"Thou shall not KILL" vs. "Thou shall not MURDER"

This is going to be one long debate, and stands to offend a great many...

Are we going to argue from the perspective of a Protestant Minister, or from Catholic Church doctrine that a Priest is a representation of Christ (the specific reason they are always male) to their congregation?...

I don't even know if "The Rule of Law" can be defined without argument...

Old 04-03-2012, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Being that the Ten Commandments are Mosaic Law ("eye for an eye"), and that Jesus specifically subjugated them under new proclamations ("Love thy neighbor as thyself"), your (note the correct form) reply doesn't address how this topic is playing out...

Even the Ten Commandments have had differing interpretations:

"Thou shall not KILL" vs. "Thou shall not MURDER"

This is going to be one long debate, and stands to offend a great many...

Are we going to argue from the perspective of a Protestant Minister, or from Catholic Church doctrine that a Priest is a representation of Christ (the specific reason they are always male) to their congregation?...

I don't even know if "The Rule of Law" can be defined without argument...
I think the laws are pretty clear & what we know about jesus.

Its just some people refuse to see things black & white.

Old 04-03-2012, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Why would jesus break an immigration law?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration