Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 09:43 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,863,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Here is where you go wrong with your argument. Our immigration laws are not unjustified or morally wrong (aka the rule of law). They are in place to protect our own citizens. Funny, how I never hear criticizm of Mexico's immigration laws or any other country's but ours.
I can visit the interior of Mexico, cost-free on the permit I can get at many locations the same day that I enter. If I want to stay up to six months in the interior, the same permit costs about $25 USD. Staying in the border regions doesn't require a permit to visit at all.

You've argued against aspects of U.S. immigration law, saying that certain areas need to be changed...

Old 04-05-2012, 09:51 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,540,381 times
Gee, they actually banned "illegal Immigration" as the label that does exist?!

I bet "illegal alien" would really freak 'em out.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:06 PM

20,523 posts, read 15,962,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
Gee, they actually banned "illegal Immigration" as the label that does exist?!

I bet "illegal alien" would really freak 'em out.
I say "illegal alien" all the time.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:06 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,358,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
I can visit the interior of Mexico, cost-free on the permit I can get at many locations the same day that I enter. If I want to stay up to six months in the interior, the same permit costs about $25 USD. Staying in the border regions doesn't require a permit to visit at all.

You've argued against aspects of U.S. immigration law, saying that certain areas need to be changed...
Did you miss the part in your response to me that I was talking about illegal immigration?

Old 04-06-2012, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Did you miss the part in your response to me that I was talking about illegal immigration?
I-601:

The method for a U.S. citizen to sponsor their illegal alien spouse to be able to return to the United States?...

or

Just another way for an illegal alien, that shouldn't be allowed to come back, to get around the "Rule of Law"?...

A true test of whether the saying "Go back and come legally" means anything at all...

Old 04-06-2012, 10:22 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,358,555 times
Quote:
I-601:

The method for a U.S. citizen to sponsor their illegal alien spouse to be able to return to the United States?...

or

Just another way for an illegal alien, that shouldn't be allowed to come back, to get around the "Rule of Law"?...

A true test of whether the saying "Go back and come legally" means anything at all...
If the spouse is no longer here and in their own country instead then they are no longer and illegal alien. I still think they need to go to the back of the line of those already waiting to come here legally and who have never been an illegal in our country. Why shoud the former get a fast track above others just because they happened to marry a U.S. citizen? What is wrong with a U.S. citizen that would marry an illegal alien anyway?

Old 04-06-2012, 12:13 PM

Quote:
If the spouse is no longer here and in their own country instead then they are no longer and illegal alien. I still think they need to go to the back of the line of those already waiting to come here legally and who have never been an illegal in our country. Why shoud the former get a fast track above others just because they happened to marry a U.S. citizen? What is wrong with a U.S. citizen that would marry an illegal alien anyway?
Since the processing is done in order of filing, they are not "jumping over" anyone else in the same category. You're still thinking of it like some great big cafeteria however. Different categories have different processing, and do not have the same waiting times as other classifications.

At closest, it would be like the sponsors (U.S. citizens and Legal Permanent Residents) for family-based immigration going through a cafeteria on a large Army base. There is separate (usually quicker) line for hamburgers, but that is the only menu selection of that line (this would be the 'Immediate Relative' spouses and minor child(ren) of U.S. citizens). The "Main Line" has more, but still limited, meal selections.

You can't order up an undefined selection...

And if you have to get fried okra, there is going to be a delay as they get it to the line (adult siblings of U.S. citizens, that may have a wait of 20+ years)...

Everyone in the place has to have some aspect to the military of being there (as the military, U.S. citizens or Legal Permanent Residents). They may not all be soldiers. This part of the analogy would mean the non-servicemembers that could only get in the hamburger line (Legal Permanent Residents are only able to sponsor for their spouse and minor child(ren)).

The billing is also for what you ordered, higher amounts for more specialty foods...

Should my wife have the same "wait in line" as the married adult sibling of a citizen that just naturalized and filed? The "cafeterias" are even in separate places (an analogy of countries; there will not be ten cafeterias on a single base). Some cafeterias are slightly more efficient or streamlined because they are familiar with handling more troops.

Your last question (marrying an illegal alien) is philosophical, and I cannot, without experience, answer it. One example I knew of, they were neighbors that grew up from around the age of ten close by each other. Some of the couples may even be together for decades, and have children and lives together like any other couple.

As we've had input from a U.S. citizen member here recently, an I-601 is not a quick or easy process. I've made the comment from my own immigration experience that my wife and I know we love each other for what we have gone through. Why should my country tell me that I can't marry someone because they are a foreigner, may be poor, or only completed a certain level of education?

Did I say that I would only deploy to a location that had a swimming pool, limited work hours, or that it wouldn't be hazardous to my health?...

They have an ability to make sure I can care for my family, and that my family, once here, does follow certain rules...

The same for an I-601 spouse, you still haven't said whether you support or reject the terms as written for it yet...

Old 04-06-2012, 02:50 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,905,024 times
Quote:

So? There isn't a problem with over 30 million Americans living illegally in Mexico.

There can be no equivalence when Mexicans will not return home after being given a visa. Mexico's taxpayers are not paying billions of dollars to provide Americans food stamps, free health care, and free schools.

Still -- it only costs $140 a year for a Mexican to obtain a border crossing card and it's good for 10 years. That's only $14 a year for the laser visa that lets them come to the USA.

Old 04-06-2012, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
...Still -- it only costs $140 a year for a Mexican to obtain a border crossing card and it's good for 10 years. That's only $14 a year for the laser visa that lets them come to the USA.
But the true terms of that Border Crossing Card is up to 25 miles within California, New Mexico and Texas, 75 miles within Arizona, and up to 72 hours. You also are required to live in the border region of Mexico, where someone from the interior can't qualify. That's not even close to the equivalent of an FMT in Mexico.

Old 04-06-2012, 04:04 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,540,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
I say "illegal alien" all the time.
Glad to hear you are not part of the "PC" crowd. Nothing at all wrong with the label. I am in my mid-fifties and grew up hearing the term even on our national news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration