Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 06:57 PM

20,523 posts, read 15,961,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Maybe the Methodist Church would be better off using the proper term of Illegal Alien to clear up any confusion.
Agree but many church "leaders" seem out of touch with their followers.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:52 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,862,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Agree but many church "leaders" seem out of touch with their followers.
Does a Congregant need to seek out a church that they believe will support their views?...

The "Socially Acceptable" Nicene Creed:

"I believe that my church should feel exactly the same about social and political issues that I do"...

Old 04-05-2012, 07:25 AM

20,523 posts, read 15,961,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Does a Congregant need to seek out a church that they believe will support their views?...

"I believe that my church should feel exactly the same about social and political issues that I do"...
I'll say this: If I'm uneasy time and time again about a church, I'll move on. I went to one church that wanted amnesty for illegal aliens, was very offended.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:28 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,357,784 times
Quote:

For me, I would seek out a church that not only respects God's commandments but the rule of law in this country also. To sit in a pew in a church that doesn't share those views would be hypocritical. For example, I could never be a member of this Methodist Church of which this topic is about with them demanding that we stop using correct terms to describe illegal aliens in this country just to gain sympathy for these lawbreakers.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:09 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,693,998 times
Quote:
At no point did I say that I "purposely" set out to break any of the Ten Commandments, like they were a list to be checked off...

Yet they all were broken, sometimes with my best intentions...

If you call yourself a "Christian", tell me how the Grace of Christ will not save me despite that...

As I said before, this is going to be a long, and likely off-topic, discussion...
You emphasized purposely. No one in this world is perfect.

You do not do things such as cross the border illegally by accident.

That is why I said on purpose.

Let me see you walk in church & teach people with the approach & stance.

Old 04-05-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
...You do not do things such as cross the border illegally by accident...
Using "the" suggests a singular border. Borders, plural, often can be all too easy to cross by accident. There has been more times than not that I have crossed a border, even "the" border with Mexico, and not been aware of it at the exact moment.

Quote:
...Let me see you walk in church & teach people with the approach & stance.
I am content to sit, usually the front row (which sometimes can be unnerving, as there is often a prompt for feedback). But then again, I am lucky enough to have an absolutely brilliant man doing all matters of teaching. Using "the" suggests a singular approach and stance.

While we are at determining how Jesus followed the "Rule of Law" (and considering that there isn't many recorded instances of Him being in a formal religious building, and no recorded events of Him ever teaching in one), and at no better time of year than this...

What, or whom, caused His death in regards to the law?...

I mean, He at least was some sort of economical rebel, and made what some considered (literally) outrageous claims against the religious and political structure of that time and place...

If He followed the "Rule of Law", why was He executed under the law?...

A murderer was even released / pardoned so that judgement could be put against Jesus...

Last edited by IBMMuseum; 04-05-2012 at 01:35 PM..

Old 04-05-2012, 01:16 PM

50,615 posts, read 47,452,196 times
Quote:
You emphasized purposely. No one in this world is perfect.

You do not do things such as cross the border illegally by accident.

That is why I said on purpose.

Let me see you walk in church & teach people with the approach & stance.
Accidently, ha. Accidently hire a Coyote. Accidently pay them 3-5 grand. Accidently walk across Mexico then the US crossing border fences and hiding from BP. Accidently getting into the trunk of a car. What a hoot.

Old 04-05-2012, 02:02 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,693,998 times
Quote:
Using "the" suggests a singular border. Borders, plural, often can be all too easy to cross by accident. There has been more times than not that I have crossed a border, even "the" border with Mexico, and not been aware of it at the exact moment.

I am content to sit, usually the front row (which sometimes can be unnerving, as there is often a prompt for feedback). But then again, I am lucky enough to have an absolutely brilliant man doing all matters of teaching. Using "the" suggests a singular approach and stance.

While we are at determining how Jesus followed the "Rule of Law" (and considering that there isn't many recorded instances of Him being in a formal religious building, and no recorded events of Him ever teaching in one), and at no better time of year than this...

What, or whom, caused His death in regards to the law?...

I mean, He at least was some sort of economical rebel, and made what some considered (literally) outrageous claims against the religious and political structure of that time and place...

If He followed the "Rule of Law", why was He executed under the law?...

A murderer was even released / pardoned so that judgement could be put against Jesus...
Impossible to not know you are planning to cross a border unless you are lost.

They could not find anything Jesus did wrong

Old 04-05-2012, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Impossible to not know you are planning to cross a border unless you are lost...
Or a border isn't marked (a few years back, the United States had to move some markers that were actually within Mexico), among several other possibilities. As said earlier, I've crossed borders by car and truck, on foot, by water, and by air. On most occasions, I was not even aware that I was crossing them.

Quote:
...They could not find anything Jesus did wrong
It's a relatively one-sided text you are sourcing (with vast amounts of translations and interpretations). Jesus definitely caused political and religious upheaval, which were against the authorities and administrators of the law of that land. We can revise history (and easily change images based on how we want to present them) to our liking, but Jesus was at a difference with the "Rule of Law" put in place at the time.

When discussion here has dismissed the past history of the United States, I find it ironic that "law" of a factor of ten or more times further back is treated as being more relevant...

Old 04-05-2012, 05:23 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,357,784 times
Quote:
Or a border isn't marked (a few years back, the United States had to move some markers that were actually within Mexico), among several other possibilities. As said earlier, I've crossed borders by car and truck, on foot, by water, and by air. On most occasions, I was not even aware that I was crossing them.

It's a relatively one-sided text you are sourcing (with vast amounts of translations and interpretations). Jesus definitely caused political and religious upheaval, which were against the authorities and administrators of the law of that land. We can revise history (and easily change images based on how we want to present them) to our liking, but Jesus was at a difference with the "Rule of Law" put in place at the time.

When discussion here has dismissed the past history of the United States, I find it ironic that "law" of a factor of ten or more times further back is treated as being more relevant...
Here is where you go wrong with your argument. Our immigration laws are not unjustified or morally wrong (aka the rule of law). They are in place to protect our own citizens. Funny, how I never hear criticizm of Mexico's immigration laws or any other country's but ours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration