Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 08:09 AM

2,475 posts, read 2,078,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
If no one knows how many are here then guestimates could be anywhere maybe there are only a couple of million,
Anyhow you can be sure they arent coming here for that good old American hospitality,
I guess at this point we can take this bronze plaque off the statue of Liberty and melt it down and subsequent monies used to pay down the debt as the inference of these words no longer have the meaning they once had in describing what i always considered a noble American virtue.
The Lazarus Poem? You are aware that the poem was added only after her friend Georgina Schulyer wanted to memorialize the poet after her death. The poem was added in 1903. It was written about her people not having a land to call home and has nothing to do with the worlds immigrants. The statue itself was about "Liberty enlightening the world", it was a monument raised to American Independence. Progressives have adopted the poem as some all welcoming wording to all the immigrants of the world.

Most illegal aliens come for their own economic gain, that's why they are called economic refugees. Economic gain isn't an asylum or protected status worthy of amnesty or legality.

Doesn't matter what you consider a noble American virtue, what matters are the laws we have in place. Look at you, when you moved to Canada it wasn't just walk over the border for your job, you had to submit documentation, along with the company that hired you, apply for a visa and then where allowed to go. Would you have gone to Canada if that job was not offered? (probably not) Would you have received a Canadian visa if that job was not offered? (probably not)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 12:07 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,389,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
These will be my final remarks to you. A couple of million? Are you kidding me? You know better than that. We take in over a million legal immigrants a year. So for that we need to remove the plaque from the Statue of Liberty? We aren't an inviting country if we don't allow in every needy person that wants to come here even if they bypass the sytem and come illegally? Bye, have a nice life.
Final remarks?Really?i thought we were having fun,,Ok you have your opinion of the amount of illegals and my opinion probably falls far short of your opinion.
As for what was written on the statue (inside actually) it was an attitude that many Americans had no problems with for a long time. As for the rules and regulations now in place?How convenient they were put into effect after your immigrant ancestors just basically walked into the country.

Old 07-10-2012, 01:33 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,389,349 times
Moderator cut: off topic, personal
Although i dont live in the USA anymore i do frequent the country often and i'm not seeing any evidence of huge influxes of illegals,i'm also not seeing how they are making huge impacts on the daily lives of most Americans. Liquid Reigns what are you seeing that i'm not? and how is it affecting you and not the rest of my family down in Florida?.Where are all these illegals hanging out as i'm not seeing any abnormal congregations of supposed illegal Mexicans in my travels in the USA.....

Last edited by Yac; 07-11-2012 at 01:19 AM..

Old 07-10-2012, 06:08 PM

2,475 posts, read 2,078,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Moderator cut: off topic, personal
Although i dont live in the USA anymore i do frequent the country often and i'm not seeing any evidence of huge influxes of illegals,i'm also not seeing how they are making huge impacts on the daily lives of most Americans. Liquid Reigns what are you seeing that i'm not? and how is it affecting you and not the rest of my family down in Florida?.Where are all these illegals hanging out as i'm not seeing any abnormal congregations of supposed illegal Mexicans in my travels in the USA.....
If you can research my comments to see where I post the most, you can surely read them all and come to an easy conclusion.

Here's a quick run-down. I compete in my line of work (Tree and Landscape Maintenance) against illegal workers on a daily basis, they drive down wages and compete for work either directly themselves or indirectly by being hired through competitors. This is in CA and also while I lived in TX as I have owned companies in both states. OCD - hardly.

Last edited by Yac; 07-11-2012 at 01:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration